Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
I have come to notice that a lot of people are putting screen protectors, cases and many other accessories on their iPhone in order to protect it, spending quite an amount of money doing so. Now I am a person who carried all of his iPhones always naked and I will continue to do so.

I carried my iPhone 6s Plus naked which sustained cosmetic damage to the sides and the screen got many micro scratches but this is merely natural wear you get by using the device. In my eyes this is nothing significant neither anything to worry about. My current iPhone which is a Xs Max also has many micro scratches all over but this time around I also have a crack on the rear glass panel. Now the cracked glass panel is annoying, and this is some actual damage to the iPhone, so I decided to go for a case. 2 Months and 2 cases later I am back to rocking my iPhone naked, in this two months I came to accept the crack as it no longer frustrated me. What I didnt like about the cases (Mofi & Apple Leather Case) is how bulky they would make the phone, the responsiveness of buttons through a case is absolutely atrocious, and let us not even start talking about the added weight. Screen protectors in my opinion are even worse, on some occasions where I would use another person's iPhone which happened to have a screen protector on it, I couldn't help but think damn does this feel cheap, how does the person owning it even tolerates it? The screen feels instantly cheap, less responsive and to sopme extent even moddy due to all the accumulation of particles on the screen protector.

Now my question to you is, why not just get Apple Care for your device instead of spending pretty much the same amount of money on all those extra accessories which come with so many disadvantages? Last Friday I ordered an iPhone 12 Pro Max which I will be rocking yet again fully naked. However I also got Apple Care which eliminates any type of worry and any potential accidental damage that might happen, given you are careful and responsible when it comes down to using and handling your device.

Let's share some thoughts :)

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m careful with my devices to ensure that they don’t fall, but I have 2 kids under 10 and a job where if my phone were to fall out of my work truck, which is the size of a 16 passenger van, my phone will get some scratches and cracks. For peace of mind, I use a glass screen protector that covers the entire screen and a clear case, that has not yellowed over time to show off the color of my phone. Even though I’ll be purchasing AppleCare on my 12 Pro Max before 60 days, I hate scratches and cracks on phones, and I feel like if spend less than $100 on a case and screen protector to protect my phone, I don’t see anything wrong. I’m also planning on trading my devices in for the next device starting next year, and if I don’t have any cracks or scratches then I won’t have to pay to repair it before trading in. Lastly, I love a device that looks like the day I bought it. I hate fingerprints on my screen, so even though I have a glass screen protector, which you can’t tell by the way, I carry a microfiber cloth in my fanny pack to clean my screen and my glasses.

Reactions: Supermallet

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I try to keep my Apple toys looking nice. I don’t like scratches on any of my stuff. I do buy AppleCare+ and I also use a screen protector because I don’t want to look at scratches on my screen every day. I am a careful person and no matter what the screen will eventually get scratched if I don’t take initiative. If I hand down one of my toys or sell it on the forum, I want the person getting my old toys to get the best I can give, not some scratched up device that is an eye sore to see and look at while using.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Now my question to you is, why not just get Apple Care for your device instead of spending pretty much the same amount of money on all those extra accessories which come with so many disadvantages?
A glass protector costs $0.50-$1.00. A two or three layer case with decent drop protection costs $5-$10.

AppleCare+ costs $149-$199, not including the deductible. Not to mention you get a refurb device if your iPhone needs to be replaced.

So no, it's not even close to the same amount of money.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Agreed with @StaceyMJ86 - I also do a case + Apple Care for peace of mind/ease of trading in.

I guess the choice is basically about:
- what is your risk tolerance
- how pedantic are you about having ‘naked phone‘ experience
- how pedantic are you are about scratches/small cracks

Apple Care which eliminates any type of worry and any potential accidental damage that might happen
I would say that Apple Care+ reduces that worry, but it doesn’t eliminate it. Perhaps it’s different elsewhere, but in the UK, there are still excess fees to pay - £75 if you crack the back, for instance. Also, there’s the inconvenience of taking it to a store or sending it off to be repaired somewhere, etc. Not the end of the world, but if a case prevents a smash saves me the bother of being without a phone for a week, having to rearrange a weekend to got to the Apple Store, transferring all my data to a back-up phone, etc, great!

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
I hate having to put a case on my iPhone, it makes it bulky and heavy. I also buy AppleCare+ and so I use my iPhone like it was an old indestructible Nokia, I even use it to take photos underwater sometimes. AC+ saved every single iPhone, I cracked my 7 Plus rear lens and screen, my X rear crystal and again my 11 Pro rear crystal. I absolutely don’t mind about scratches or so, but if my iPhone gets destroyed I would absolutely hate to pay the full swap.

kid84

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
My kids alway love to touch my phone when I got home after work , and they play game with youtube kid on my phone , they have iPad but still love my phone ( lucky me , my wife didnt love to touch my phone ..... )

and have apple care + also , and my screen broken 3 times total within one year , and applecare+ only cover 2 times on 12 months calendar , but I did got lucky on the third time , the Apple Store Genius Bar let me replaced my device due to broken screen and back camera and they said only one time . And after that I did put a tempered glass screen on and case . No more naked !

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Unfortunately, I work for a living and need my phones with easy access.
I carry 2 iPhones, 1 UHF two way radio, and tools.
My iPhones have ANTI GLARE filters to keep the sun from blinding me using outdoors.
Both iPhones are in cases w/ belt clips so that I can access them when I need on a daily basis.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I’m careful with my devices to ensure that they don’t fall, but I have 2 kids under 10 and a job where if my phone were to fall out of my work truck, which is the size of a 16 passenger van, my phone will get some scratches and cracks. For peace of mind, I use a glass screen protector that covers the entire screen and a clear case, that has not yellowed over time to show off the color of my phone. Even though I’ll be purchasing AppleCare on my 12 Pro Max before 60 days, I hate scratches and cracks on phones, and I feel like if spend less than $100 on a case and screen protector to protect my phone, I don’t see anything wrong. I’m also planning on trading my devices in for the next device starting next year, and if I don’t have any cracks or scratches then I won’t have to pay to repair it before trading in. Lastly, I love a device that looks like the day I bought it. I hate fingerprints on my screen, so even though I have a glass screen protector, which you can’t tell by the way, I carry a microfiber cloth in my fanny pack to clean my screen and my glasses.

^This. And also, AC+ only gives you two incidents of accidental damage doesn’t it? So if you were to drop your phone more than that I don’t know if it’ll be covered. I could be wrong though. I also like to have it for piece of mind and use a thinner cause and glass screen protector. I always sell my devices when I get a new one, and like others have said, I want to make sure it looks pristine.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
AppleCare is for my peace of mind. A drop/resistant case is to protect my phone. Easy choices for me.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
$629/$729/$999/&1099+tax, AC+ $199/$269, $99/$149 Accidental damage deductible.

Not ideal for me, I'll be slapping on a case and screen protector, and baby it like its plastic.

Reactions: Dwood1970

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I have come to notice that a lot of people are putting screen protectors, cases and many other accessories on their iPhone in order to protect it, spending quite an amount of money doing so. Now I am a person who carried all of his iPhones always naked and I will continue to do so.

I carried my iPhone 6s Plus naked which sustained cosmetic damage to the sides and the screen got many micro scratches but this is merely natural wear you get by using the device. In my eyes this is nothing significant neither anything to worry about. My current iPhone which is a Xs Max also has many micro scratches all over but this time around I also have a crack on the rear glass panel. Now the cracked glass panel is annoying, and this is some actual damage to the iPhone, so I decided to go for a case. 2 Months and 2 cases later I am back to rocking my iPhone naked, in this two months I came to accept the crack as it no longer frustrated me. What I didnt like about the cases (Mofi & Apple Leather Case) is how bulky they would make the phone, the responsiveness of buttons through a case is absolutely atrocious, and let us not even start talking about the added weight. Screen protectors in my opinion are even worse, on some occasions where I would use another person's iPhone which happened to have a screen protector on it, I couldn't help but think damn does this feel cheap, how does the person owning it even tolerates it? The screen feels instantly cheap, less responsive and to sopme extent even moddy due to all the accumulation of particles on the screen protector.

Now my question to you is, why not just get Apple Care for your device instead of spending pretty much the same amount of money on all those extra accessories which come with so many disadvantages? Last Friday I ordered an iPhone 12 Pro Max which I will be rocking yet again fully naked. However I also got Apple Care which eliminates any type of worry and any potential accidental damage that might happen, given you are careful and responsible when it comes down to using and handling your device.

Let's share some thoughts :)
Micro scratches suck. I will never allow my iPhone screen to get them ever again.

A good screen protector will not even show in use.

I use a case for added grip. I’ll see how I like the 12 PM case-less. I already have a Pitaka Air case ready which is barely a case and adds grip. Yes I have AC+ too.

Until Apple makes a scratch-proof grippy iPhone, I’m afraid I personally find these elements necessary.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I go AppleCare, screen protector, and no case. Scratches on the display bother me, so screen protector for me.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have Applecare+ on my phones, but I always have them in a case and with a screen protector. The screen protector because I don’t want to be using something that’s all scratched up. I like my stuff to look nice. I use a Loopy case because it makes it much easier to hold my phones and to reach upper corners on the larger phones while using it one handed.

I usually spend around $5 for a screen protector, and $40 for a case, so a lot cheaper than Applecare if I were only going that route. I do the monthly AC+, and can cancel when my phones get older and less valuable.

Reactions: Dwood1970

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I have AppleCare + as well, this time I went with a case but no screen protector. My screen is now fairly scratched with a couple deep ones, it didn't hold up as well as I though it would. But I'm hard on my phones I suppose. I also took my phone out of the case and took a corner too tight and banged my phone in my pocket. There is a neat little pinhole looking blemish from it. I'll wait until the one year of ownership mark before I make an appointment to bring it in for new glass. And Ill probably pay for a new battery even though there is nothing wrong with this one, still at 100%. And while I'm there I will probably pick up a new case since my current one left micro abrasions. Or I just pay it off and trade it in for a 12 PM because yum. I do miss those edges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.