Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minje0810

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Hello,

tl;dr: Sent in an iPhone for Express Replacement, got denied and a random part back instead of the original device.

I have had the privilege of using Apple products for the past few decades and never encountered an issue like this current one. I would really appreciate anyone's input on how to proceed or just opinions in general.

This is about an iPhone 11 Pro Max with an Apple Care+ subscription.

Recently, I requested an Express Replacement because the back had shattered--this is a service available for AC+ subscribers for a $99 fee. I triggered the replacement online and received the replacement device in a few days. 2 Days later, I sent in the broken iPhone 11 Pro Max. It was functional when I sent it in; the only issue was the shattered glass on the back.

A couple of days after that, I receive an email "reminder" to send in the original/broken device. I ignored this because the email said to do so if I had sent it in. I checked the FedEx tracking and it had arrived already.

Then a week or so later, I received an email saying that the box had arrived empty.

This made no sense to me, so I got in touch with Apple Support. I was on the phone for about two hours (I was traveling, and lost that whole afternoon), which ended with the representative telling me that she'd call me back the next day. During this long conversation, I spoke to a few people, and the narrative evolved over time on their end:
  • Initially: the device did arrive but that it is being sent back to me—I need to send back the replacement device and do the process again. Otherwise be charged $1099
  • “Catastrophic damage” resulted in the repair/replacement being denied
  • Final story: there was a mixup with serial numbers; they will call me back later
The rep ghosted me the next day, and I saw on the FedEx app (not Apple) that a package was on the way from the same place I sent in the device.

I received the package today, and they had sent me the back shell of an iPhone XS Max that I have never owned before. The box appears to be the one I sent in (serial matches the replacement device).

I am so confused and tired and frustrated at this point, and unsure how to proceed. I am just a person and do not have the energy or resources to fight Apple if they really believe I sent this thing in. I also don't want to end up paying $99 to lose my phone to Apple or send the replacement back or pay the $1099 for no fault of my own.

I tried searching for similar stories, but wasn't able to find any. Has anyone seen something similar, or experienced anything that may be helpful in my situation?

Last edited:

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
One of those times it’s best to walk into an apple store and speak to a manager.

Failing that send an email to apple corporate clearly documenting the issue with dates and times and copy your attorney general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.