Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makris0000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Clearwater Beach
Hello,

I have AppleCare and went to get my iPhone 6 Plus fixed at my somewhat local apple store a few hours ago. When they went to fix it, they told me that they would not fix my phone because the TouchID serial number did not match my phone's series number and they accused me of "tampering" or "opening" the phone (I have no idea how to open these phones or how to "tamper" with them and I only took my iPhones to actual Apple Stores). They told me to call Apple Care and see if they can do anything.

So my question(s) are, has anyone else encountered this problem before and what was the outcome? Also, what can I do in the future to prevent this form happening again?

Update:
So I taked to them. At first they were going to just refund me what I paid for Apple Care, but then they decided to do a one time exception and replace my phone so I still have active Apple Care! But even though my issue ended up being resolved, I still want to know if this happened to anyone else and what their outcome was incase for future reference.

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It was a refurb? That may explain it. I'm pretty sure I've heard of refurbs with this issue.....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The store claimed before that the replacement phones aren't refurbished but I'm pretty sure it was.
Apple would call them "remanufactured" if you pressed them on it. But yes, generally, the repacement phones are a mix of refurb and some new phones shunted off directly from the assembly line.

I could see your circumstance happening if your phone had been a replacement from your carrier insurance, but coming from Apple directly. - I bet they realized they were wrong at some point and rather than admit they messed up gave you the "exception".

Reactions: makris0000

makris0000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Clearwater Beach
I was thinking that as well. They probably realized it but I know I will probably never go back to that apple store jus to be safe. I don't want this happening every again because it is such a hassle.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was thinking that as well. They probably realized it but I know I will probably never go back to that apple store jus to be safe. I don't want this happening every again because it is such a hassle.
Some of the geniuses can be real Richards. Kind of like how some of the Starbucks baristas used to be way back when Starbucks just started to become popular (had one shove my drink at me once because she was upset that I had a problem with the crappy way she made the drink).

Arrogance is unattractive.

Reactions: makris0000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.