Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
So yesterday I slipped on a few wet leaves and fell with my phone - cracked the back glass. It's not totally smashed but... it used to be so pretty :(
I remember buying the Protection Plan (NOT AC+ unfortunately...), but as far as I can see, the cost of replacing the back glass is the same as without any kind of protection plan -> 640 Euros. Which is... a bit steep.
Not sure if I'm getting this right, as googling for infos about the difference of these plans doesn't yield in too much good information. Any idea if there is a possibility to get the back glass replaced for less than 640 Euros?

Kind regards

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
Not yet. It's an 1 hour drive to the next apple store and I wanted to do some research first. I *think* the conclusion is that the Protection Plan does NOT cover any accidents, only the Apple Care PLUS does. So that's why I'm asking. The Protection Plan seems to be a simple base warranty extension, but it's a bit sad they charge the full price for any repair like it seems. Not sure what the Protection Plan is good for, then.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
AppleCare Protection Plan = Extended warranty till up to 2 years.

AppleCare+ = Same as above + 2 accidental incidents every 24 months + Option to renew after 24 months

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
you are correct.

apple care = warranty extension
Apple care + = accident protection (with an incident fee)

At this point you’re looking at that sweet 640 EUR bill - you have nothing to lose, go to the Apple store and ask them pretty please and see if they can do anything for you.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Not yet. It's an 1 hour drive to the next apple store and I wanted to do some research first. I *think* the conclusion is that the Protection Plan does NOT cover any accidents, only the Apple Care PLUS does. So that's why I'm asking. The Protection Plan seems to be a simple base warranty extension, but it's a bit sad they charge the full price for any repair like it seems. Not sure what the Protection Plan is good for, then.

Sounds like it’s good for increasing apple’s service revenues.

lostOzone

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2017
Protection plan is a warranty extension. It would extend the commercial warranty from 1 year to 2 years. Or 2 to 3 depending on the device.
With the consumer laws it is really not necessary given the phone is bought from a retailer that still exist 2 years later. As the consumer laws require the retailer to provide the warranty.
Next time buy a good case or get insured.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
So yesterday I slipped on a few wet leaves and fell with my phone - cracked the back glass. It's not totally smashed but... it used to be so pretty :(
I remember buying the Protection Plan (NOT AC+ unfortunately...), but as far as I can see, the cost of replacing the back glass is the same as without any kind of protection plan -> 640 Euros. Which is... a bit steep.
Not sure if I'm getting this right, as googling for infos about the difference of these plans doesn't yield in too much good information. Any idea if there is a possibility to get the back glass replaced for less than 640 Euros?

Kind regards

How much did you buy AC for?

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
Thanks guys. Not sure I'll do anything about it, then... I'd rather wait for the iPhone 12 Pro Max next year instead of dumping 640 Euros for a new glass back.
PS: I have a good case... Phone dropped onto pebbles. Could have been worse, screen is still good!

Reactions: aristobrat

lostOzone

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2017
Thanks guys. Not sure I'll do anything about it, then... I'd rather wait for the iPhone 12 Pro Max next year instead of dumping 640 Euros for a new glass back.
PS: I have a good case... Phone dropped onto pebbles. Could have been worse, screen is still good!

Which one? You are lucky to not have broken the screen. But it would have been cheaper to replace. The Apple repair pricing is not great. I’m still wondering how you can name your tech geniuses and not be able to do a piece by piece repair.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
In the pre-X and pre-iPad Pro days I never bought AC (or later, AC+) for mobile devices. But looking at the very high repair costs for the X, XS and 11 Pro, and iPad Pro (went from Air 2 to 2018 Pro), I've been buying AC+. It's a bet on probabilities (of me dropping/breaking the device, especially with the glass backs on the X and later) and magnitude (the dollar cost of a new back for the X-type phones, or the display on the iPad Pro). We've come a long way from the iPhone 4 where you could buy a replacement back for short dollars and install it yourself I you had the pentalobe screwdriver.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
Yeah, that's right! I'm a mac user since 2007 and have (had) almost every iPhone, as well as iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac Minis, Apple watch... never had any issues so far, never broke a phone (until yesterday). So maybe AC+ is worth considering on my next phone.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
It's called AppleCare Protection Plan and is obviously not AppleCare Plus. I didn't know it either but oh well.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Which one? You are lucky to not have broken the screen. But it would have been cheaper to replace. The Apple repair pricing is not great. I’m still wondering how you can name your tech geniuses and not be able to do a piece by piece repair.

It’s simply because the back glass is where all the internals are glued to. It’s not an easy part replacement. They literally need to take the whole device apart to change the back which increases the chance of breaking something in the process.

In the pre-X and pre-iPad Pro days I never bought AC (or later, AC+) for mobile devices. But looking at the very high repair costs for the X, XS and 11 Pro, and iPad Pro (went from Air 2 to 2018 Pro), I've been buying AC+. It's a bet on probabilities (of me dropping/breaking the device, especially with the glass backs on the X and later) and magnitude (the dollar cost of a new back for the X-type phones, or the display on the iPad Pro). We've come a long way from the iPhone 4 where you could buy a replacement back for short dollars and install it yourself I you had the pentalobe screwdriver.

Yep I’m buying the Apple care+ for the last few iterations as well. It’s better to be safe than sorry as I can’t stand a case on my devices.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Spigen with air cushion. Yeah, I'm also very happy it's "just" the back glass, but I had hoped my Protection Plan would be good for something, lol :D
I’d buy a rear skin for it and forget about it till next year. If your on an IUP, they won’t except a phone with a cracked back so you’ll have to figure something out then..

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't believe Apple replaces the back glass. If you have the AC+ plan and break the back glass, they replace the entire phone. Probably with a refurbished one.

Reactions: akash.nu

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I assume you’re in Europe as you mention Euros. Under European consumer law your iPhone would be covered for 24 months regardless - as long as it was bought directly from the manufacturer (Apple, not a reseller).
Doesn't assist in your case but it would be pretty shady of Apple to sell you cover they have a statutory duty to supply free of charge.

Reactions: cardfan

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I assume you’re in Europe as you mention Euros. Under European consumer law your iPhone would be covered for 24 months regardless - as long as it was bought directly from the manufacturer (Apple, not a reseller).
Doesn't assist in your case but it would be pretty shady of Apple to sell you cover they have a statutory duty to supply free of charge.

Not for damage.

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Not for damage.
Sigh.

Indeed. As I said, it doesn’t help in the OP’s case. However, the policy Apple sold him seems to replicate the protection he already had, assuming he bought the iPhone directly from Apple.

Reactions: cardfan

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
In germany there is a massive problem with the default 24 months coverage. 6 months after you bought the device you have to show proof the error you want repaired was already there on the day you bought it. This is nearly impossible...

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
In germany there is a massive problem with the default 24 months coverage. 6 months after you bought the device you have to show proof the error you want repaired was already there on the day you bought it. This is nearly impossible...
Same in the UK except the 24 month period is actually 6 years (technically the product has to last a ‘reasonable’ length of time up to a maximum of 6 years but I believe the EU law is that it has to last 2 years only).

The warranty on a product is separate to any law that dictates how long a product should last. No company has to give you a warranty, they must only operate within the law. A warranty is a bonus for consumers above the law.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.