Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dseig001

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Looking for suggestions. I called apple to submit an Apple Care repair last wednesday, only to have my IMEI blacklisted by AIG (note, that the phone was clearly not missing, as I was talking to Apple when it got bricked). When asked to reverse this, they told me they’d mark it “urgent” and most requests happen in about a day.

2 days later, I’m back on the phone with Apple and AIG, only to be told to wait another two days.

This is NOT the service I’m used to with Apple. It really seems like they’re ******** the bed. I went from a working, but damaged phone, to a brick - all because I wanted to use my coverage.

Any ideas? I’m going back in the swamp of the Apple Support line in a few minutes,

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’m confused are you trying to use theft and loss to cover a phone in your possession, hence it’s not lost or stolen. It not apple‘s fault.

1). if so, I don’t blame them, they though your phone is halfway to Mexico getting resold in Peru.
2). If you wanted to fix your phone due to damage just throw it into the cement and claim accidental damage lol no need to report it lost.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Something doesn’t add up, how does calling apple to get your phone repaired turn into having your IMEI blocked. ?

Reactions: madrigal77

Supreme4me

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Looking for suggestions. I called apple to submit an Apple Care repair last wednesday, only to have my IMEI blacklisted by AIG (note, that the phone was clearly not missing, as I was talking to Apple when it got bricked). When asked to reverse this, they told me they’d mark it “urgent” and most requests happen in about a day.

2 days later, I’m back on the phone with Apple and AIG, only to be told to wait another two days.

This is NOT the service I’m used to with Apple. It really seems like they’re ******** the bed. I went from a working, but damaged phone, to a brick - all because I wanted to use my coverage.

Any ideas? I’m going back in the swamp of the Apple Support line in a few minutes,
I seriously am going thru the same issue. I went on apple app to submit claim for cracked screen on Wednesday night that page automatically took me to aig page where the only choices were loss or stolen so I backed out of page. I then contacted apple to figure out how to submit claim for cracked screen via chat where I was informed that a claim was pending for a lost phone. I was advised to call AIG the next morning which I di$ and they had no record of a claim. Contacted apple again where I was transferred to senior rep whom was “taking ownership” of my case. He had me connect my phone to iTunes which did nothing but make my phone completely useless. after four hours on phone with him...he gives up on my issue. Says to send him an email the next day. I after holding for 3 1/2 hours Thursday night talk to a supervisor at AIG and supposedly he “shoots” an email to apple to show cancellation of claim for loss. its now Friday and I have no way to shoot my ownership of case buddy an email because the email link he sent me was on a friends phone and I’m not with him. I have no way to call apple and I have now at this point wasted about eight hours on the phone or via chat with apple and aig. No one will listen to me they all say they will resolve my issue. What a joke. I inform apple about email AIG sent and no one even checks for it. My son who has cancer I can’t receive calls from drs offices to schedule appointments for his treatments and apple could careless not to mention my online business has gone unattended due to lost phone which has all of my info inventory banking etc so I resort to calling AIG back on Saturday and after a two hour hold am informed that there are no notes in case file about an email being sent to apple and that she will escalate my issue to engineers but it takes up to two business days..to which my son reminds me that this upcoming Monday is a legal holiday. If I would have known my phone would get bricked I would have literally “lost” it and I would already have a replacement in my hand! It’s completely unacceptable that due to apples app needing updating so it doesn’t redirect to loss or theft page, I have now been without a phone for five days. The last rep/supervisor I spoke to whom said they completely understood my situation I had to ask if they had a child at home whom they needed constant contact with their team of drs and whom literally needed their phone because it’s a lifeline!!! Worst customer service ever!

• Sad
Reactions: LFC2020

Supreme4me

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
I seriously am going thru the same issue. I went on apple app to submit claim for cracked screen on Wednesday night that page automatically took me to aig page where the only choices were loss or stolen so I backed out of page. I then contacted apple to figure out how to submit claim for cracked screen via chat where I was informed that a claim was pending for a lost phone. I was advised to call AIG the next morning which I di$ and they had no record of a claim. Contacted apple again where I was transferred to senior rep whom was “taking ownership” of my case. He had me connect my phone to iTunes which did nothing but make my phone completely useless. after four hours on phone with him...he gives up on my issue. Says to send him an email the next day. I after holding for 3 1/2 hours Thursday night talk to a supervisor at AIG and supposedly he “shoots” an email to apple to show cancellation of claim for loss. its now Friday and I have no way to shoot my ownership of case buddy an email because the email link he sent me was on a friends phone and I’m not with him. I have no way to call apple and I have now at this point wasted about eight hours on the phone or via chat with apple and aig. No one will listen to me they all say they will resolve my issue. What a joke. I inform apple about email AIG sent and no one even checks for it. My son who has cancer I can’t receive calls from drs offices to schedule appointments for his treatments and apple could careless not to mention my online business has gone unattended due to lost phone which has all of my info inventory banking etc so I resort to calling AIG back on Saturday and after a two hour hold am informed that there are no notes in case file about an email being sent to apple and that she will escalate my issue to engineers but it takes up to two business days..to which my son reminds me that this upcoming Monday is a legal holiday. If I would have known my phone would get bricked I would have literally “lost” it and I would already have a replacement in my hand! It’s completely unacceptable that due to apples app needing updating so it doesn’t redirect to loss or theft page, I have now been without a phone for five days. The last rep/supervisor I spoke to whom said they completely understood my situation I had to ask if they had a child at home whom they needed constant contact with their team of drs and whom literally needed their phone because it’s a lifeline!!! Worst customer service ever!
I’m confused are you trying to use theft and loss to cover a phone in your possession, hence it’s not lost or stolen. It not apple‘s fault.

1). if so, I don’t blame them, they though your phone is halfway to Mexico getting resold in Peru.
2). If you wanted to fix your phone due to damage just throw it into the cement and claim accidental damage lol no need to report it lost.
they didn’t report it lost!!!! That’s the whole point!

Supreme4me

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Something doesn’t add up, how does calling apple to get your phone repaired turn into having your IMEI blocked. ?
Same thing happened to me only I used apple support app when I marked cracked screen it automatically directed me to AIG page to which I backed out of because my phone is neither lost or stolen and I backed out of page without mark8mg either option but it opened a claim for a lost phone when my phone isn’t lost. I used the darn phone to make the claim for cracked screen!!! Oh yes because we always use our lost phones thru apple support app to report that phone lost..think about that one for a minute. The info from phone you are on is sent to apple!!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: LFC2020

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
That sounds like horrible customer service from both parties. It also sounds like there is a bug with the website. In your situation, I would ask your son if you can use his phone until you get this mess straighten out. If not, you need to get a working phone in your hand right away, whether its from another family member, or buying the cheapest iPhone from the Apple store.

I would also send an email to tcook@apple.com I would keep the email short, concise and polite. Make sure to emphasis the brevity of the situation. His office gets results. Make sure to leave your contact information in the email along with the Apple case number if you have one. His office will get back with you.

Reactions: secretk and LFC2020

Supreme4me

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
That sounds like horrible customer service from both parties. It also sounds like there is a bug with the website. In your situation, I would ask your son if you can use his phone until you get this mess straighten out. If not, you need to get a working phone in your hand right away, whether its from another family member, or buying the cheapest iPhone from the Apple store.

I would also send an email to tcook@apple.com I would keep the email short, concise and polite. Make sure to emphasis the brevity of the situation. His office gets results. Make sure to leave your contact information in the email along with the Apple case number if you have one. His office will get back with you.

Supreme4me

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
I appreciate you passing this email address to me. Unfortunately, i have one friend whom lives an hour away and borrowing someone’s phone for the hours I’ve ended up on hold or chatting with apple isn’t possible. I’ve tried to do as much as possible from tablet but it doesn’t allow calling and using calls over WiFi is a. 50/50 for connections and reception. My son is 12 and doesn’t have a phone to borrow at this point. I have done everything I can and honestly it’s just ridiculous that I’ve gone thru any of this over a cracked screen repair request. I am in tears over all of it.
And unfortunately all of our local apple stores are closed or I would have walked into one and not left until problem was resolved.

Supreme4me

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
And yes this is definitely an issue with apple app and it needs to be updated or bug fixed but no one at apple seemed concerned when I mentioned that point about fifty times to fifty different apple reps and supervisors.

Dschwenke84

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021

I am going through the same thing??‍♀️

Dschwenke84

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
And yes this is definitely an issue with apple app and it needs to be updated or bug fixed but no one at apple seemed concerned when I mentioned that point about fifty times to fifty different apple reps and supervisors.
I have been transferred over to AIG, Apple, Apple Care, Asurion and noone can help me.

Dschwenke84

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
Same thing happened to me only I used apple support app when I marked cracked screen it automatically directed me to AIG page to which I backed out of because my phone is neither lost or stolen and I backed out of page without mark8mg either option but it opened a claim for a lost phone when my phone isn’t lost. I used the darn phone to make the claim for cracked screen!!! Oh yes because we always use our lost phones thru apple support app to report that phone lost..think about that one for a minute. The info from phone you are on is sent to apple!!
That is the exact same thing I did. My phone been on Lost/stolen mode. I called Apple and they told me call apple care and apple care told me to call AIG. AiG told me call verizon. still stuck with no help.

ionneday

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2023
AIG has locked and erased my iPhone 13 Pro Max. No one can help turn it back on. My phone is essentially a paper weight now. I have not been able to use it since 2/8/23. I wanted to schedule an appointment to repair my phone screen. I mistakenly hit "File a Claim", realized it was the wrong selection, and hit the "back" button. At that point, my card was removed from my apple wallet, phone was locked and erased. I have been unable to use my phone since that time. AIG sent the following message about a hour ago: Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your AppleCare+ Theft and Loss claim. At this time after reviewing your claim and the information that is connected to it, it would appear that your claim has already been closed on our end. That being the case, we at AIG her no control over how long it takes for a device to be unlocked once the claim has been canceled. I would advise reaching out to Apple for assistance with having your device restored if the standard attempts to troubleshoot the problem have not resulted in its continued functioning.

No one will help and it is extremely frustrating. Apple support did attempt to reboot and all via itunes, no luck. I was later told that AIG disabled my phone and AIG is the only company that can reverse that process. Today, I went to AT&T this morning so that I could transfer my service to my old android. This has become a nightmare.

Was anyone ever able to get back into their phone after AIG locked it??

ionneday

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2023
That is the exact same thing I did. My phone been on Lost/stolen mode. I called Apple and they told me call apple care and apple care told me to call AIG. AiG told me call verizon. still stuck with no help.
Were you ever able to use the phone again?

WriterPiece

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2024
This has happened to me. I can't quite believed I'm going through this 😳 and Apple have allowed AIG to be able erase and lock customer devices.

The only person that should be able to erase an iPhone should be the iPhone owner. How has AIG been given this ability?

Same experience, I pay a premium for AppleCare and started a repair process, this directed me to AIG, it looked like this was the wrong place so left the website. Suddenly my Apple Wallet was disabled and then my after my phone was erased remotely and locked.

All without warning or me agreeing to this.
I don't even have words of how horrendous and disgusting this is.

I've lost data that I cannot get back as I wasn't even given warning that my phone would be deleted. Additionally I've been locked out of my phone so cannot even restore the device myself.

How on earth have AIG been given permission to do this? To erase and lock an Apple Customer's device for no reasons other than a you landed on their website and started a process.

AIG have not helped. Apple Support direct me to AIG.

Imagine, your iPhone just get completely erased and locked during a working week without any warning, without you agreeing to it.

The impact, the distress..🤢

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
This has happened to me. I can't quite believed I'm going through this 😳 and Apple have allowed AIG to be able erase and lock customer devices.

The only person that should be able to erase an iPhone should be the iPhone owner. How has AIG been given this ability?

Same experience, I pay a premium for AppleCare and started a repair process, this directed me to AIG, it looked like this was the wrong place so left the website. Suddenly my Apple Wallet was disabled and then my after my phone was erased remotely and locked.

All without warning or me agreeing to this.
I don't even have words of how horrendous and disgusting this is.

I've lost data that I cannot get back as I wasn't even given warning that my phone would be deleted. Additionally I've been locked out of my phone so cannot even restore the device myself.

How on earth have AIG been given permission to do this? To erase and lock an Apple Customer's device for no reasons other than a you landed on their website and started a process.

AIG have not helped. Apple Support direct me to AIG.

Imagine, your iPhone just get completely erased and locked during a working week without any warning, without you agreeing to it.

The impact, the distress..🤢
Wow that is terrible?
Did you lose your phone because I don't get how they can just wipe your phone like that?

WriterPiece

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2024
It seems when you go here:

To start a repair and you select Apple Care+, the website takes you here:

As soon as you start the process AIG have the power to ERASE and LOCK your phone without any warnings or notice.

What blows my mind is that Apple have given AIG this power. From all the others that have gone through this you don't even have to complete the claim / finish the form. You just have to start it.

How is this even possible?

How have a 3rd party insurance company given the power by Apple to DELETE all my data from my phone without me even being aware? I'm surprised this is not a bigger news story.

What's worse is that Apple direct you tom AIG, AIG direct you to Apple.

Apple Care is supposed to be a premium product.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
It seems when you go here:

To start a repair and you select Apple Care+, the website takes you here:

As soon as you start the process AIG have the power to ERASE and LOCK your phone without any warnings or notice.

What blows my mind is that Apple have given AIG this power. From all the others that have gone through this you don't even have to complete the claim / finish the form. You just have to start it.

How is this even possible?

How have a 3rd party insurance company given the power by Apple to DELETE all my data from my phone without me even being aware? I'm surprised this is not a bigger news story.

What's worse is that Apple direct you tom AIG, AIG direct you to Apple.

Apple Care is supposed to be a premium product.
I think Apple has great products until you need something fixed or get help getting it fixed, then you find it's not such a great product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.