Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
A few days ago Mazda finally put a date to their coming soon when talking about Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto).

At least in Europe.

it will be available as an option on new vehicles as well as a retrofit option for all current Mazdas with MZD Connect beginning August 6 2018.

According to the German press release the prices are €300 as option for new vehicles, and €240 for a retrofit kit (excluding labor).

Read more in the official Mazda press release here

I, for one, cannot wait to have it installed in my 2017 Mazda 3. It is the only thing I am missing in my other than that fully specced car.

Reactions: gildorn

liquidiq

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Texas
Please update this thread when you get it installed. I'm in the US with a '16 MX-5 wanting CarPlay and would like to hear how it works!

Reactions: dsh3

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
Please update this thread when you get it installed. I'm in the US with a '16 MX-5 wanting CarPlay and would like to hear how it works!

Will do.

Realistically it’s probably going to be around September, as Mazda Denmark is rather slow to get these parts compared to other countries over here.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Isn't the price a bit high? You can get it for free with Kias and VWs (amongst others) but Mazda is charging €240 to upgrade and €300 to new cars simply to flick a switch?
It should be cheaper because they don't have to develop their own (crappy) software anymore.

liquidiq

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Texas
Isn't the price a bit high? You can get it for free with Kias and VWs (amongst others) but Mazda is charging €240 to upgrade and €300 to new cars simply to flick a switch?
It should be cheaper because they don't have to develop their own (crappy) software anymore.

They still have to develop their own Mazda Connect software, there's a LOT of people out there that don't want to use CarPlay/AA and just use the built in software (radio, XM, Pandora, Navigation, etc).

While I agree that charging 300 for turning the software on is a little much, there's a large swath of population that doesn't care and don't want to pay for it, and Mazda wants to keep their prices as low as possible.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark

AFAIK it is not just a quick software update, they have to swap some power and USB hub stuff as well.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
makes them a bit less competitive than the range of cars at the same price or lower that already offer CarPlay. It's used as a major selling point for VW and Kia,

But yes, if you feel that it's worth it and you're stuck on a Mazda it's good news.

When I bought a car in 2015 I only looked at ones that had CarPlay/Android- but I realise that's unusual.

liquidiq

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Texas
makes them a bit less competitive than the range of cars at the same price or lower that already offer CarPlay. It's used as a major selling point for VW and Kia,

But yes, if you feel that it's worth it and you're stuck on a Mazda it's good news.

When I bought a car in 2015 I only looked at ones that had CarPlay/Android- but I realise that's unusual.

My wife and I were car shopping a few months ago (decided to wait), and it was a large selling point for me. In 2015 it was few and far-between, but in 2018 it should be at least available as an option.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
My wife and I were car shopping a few months ago (decided to wait), and it was a large selling point for me. In 2015 it was few and far-between, but in 2018 it should be at least available as an option.

In Australia, from what I can see, it seems to be very available in budget cars and in premium cars. It's the middle of the range, like Mazda, that seems to be holding on to their own systems.

BTW, I've found CarPlay seriously good. For a while I had to do a lot of highway travelling to visit family and having my music, podcasts, audiobooks and messages so easily available when driving on the motorways was great. If I really wanted to buy a particular car, and the cost was a few hundred I would seriously consider it- even if I think it's an expensive option.

liquidiq

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Texas
From the Miata forums, dealers are only being allocated parts for the 6s they've sold as of this date. They get a couple of extras for Sport model 6s that want to upgrade.

I was told November-ish for the parts rush to die down on the 6 and for Mazda to start shipping more parts. Initial USA allotment of parts is at 8,000 units IIRC.

How does playing XM (or FM radio) work with CarPlay navigation? Smooth and does the voiceover keep the same volume between the two or does it duck the music when instructions play?

Thanks!

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
Can you help me get the parts? No dealers here in DFW will sell them without a Mazda 6 VIN that’s eligible
I guess I lucked out then, as the dealership in my town is usually clueless on literally everything. It’s probably one of the worst Mazda dealerships in the country, but in this instance I guess that worked out in my favor.

nrrhgreg

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
88C51D4C-046E-4398-B7CD-9CB0F2D7C779.jpeg
Found someone that didn’t care, have my weekend project now!

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Our 2017 Mazda CX-5 now has Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto). I did the install myself and (including firmware) it took 2.5 hours. CarPlay is slick as snot. And, even with my lowly iPhone 6, it's noticeably faster than Mazda's native infotainment system. Based on reviews, it will be faster yet once I get a newer phone.

I'll be ordering the iPhone Excess at midnight, that should be fast enough. :)

I've got a second CarPlay/AA retrofit kit on order to install in our 2016 Miata. It's supposed to be here on Saturday so I plan to install it on Sunday. Then both cars will be rocking CarPlay! :)

BTW and FWIW, I paid $183 each (including delivery) for the CarPlay/AA retrofit kit. I purchased them from Priority Mazda in Virginia. Delivery is by Priority Mail, 2-3 days.

Mark

Dave Hanks

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Mercedes needs to do this. The iPhone interface on wife's AMG43 Nav is the WORST, period! I would NEVER have bought that car had I known CarPlay was NOT installed. Dealer upgrade would at least get owners in to see new models. (Honda = Smart!) I drive wife's AMG with an iPhone on the dash to access Waze/Maps/Google Maps. These are much better than a standard nav system. (Voice controls that work and warnings/alerts as you drive!)

I upgraded my 2014 Corvette with OEM CarPlay (www.infortianment.com $1000 + $150 car radio shop install—installer was impressed that it was truly plug and play). I LOVE "Hey Siri" or touchscreen control for Messages/Audible/Overcast (podcasts)/Rush/Maps & Waze. With this particular upgrade a New HMI and ACM Brain modules were programmed to include options purchased by VIN number—including SiriusXM. The USB port was also replaced.

CarPlay improves with every release and the upgrades are installed automatically by my iPhone. Good work Apple!

Reactions: PeteLP

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Ah great! I was hoping to find a thread on Mazda CarPlay!

I have a question I was hoping could be answered. My local dealer wants £350 to install CarPlay, but I am presuming that CarPlay is simply a firmware/software update?

As such, I have obtained the new software from a Mazda forum and a Mazda dealership guide with instructions on how to install the latest software.

Do I need hardware for CarPlay (apart from an iPhone of course!)?

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008

I have a question I was hoping could be answered. My local dealer wants £350 to install CarPlay, but I am presuming that CarPlay is simply a firmware/software update?

As such, I have obtained the new software from a Mazda forum and a Mazda dealership guide with instructions on how to install the latest software.

Im thinking probably yes

drnycallstar19

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007

Yes, I already upgraded mine on Saturday. The Carplay Upgrade from Mazda consists of a Software Update AND a hardware upgrade. Apple requires a specific amount of power output from the USB port for Carplay that the Mazda vehicles don’t have. So they have to change out the usb module in the center console. So on top of Carplay you also get faster charging (the stock module charges very slowly to begin with).
[doublepost=1543253530][/doublepost]
A few days ago Mazda finally put a date to their coming soon when talking about Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto).

At least in Europe.

it will be available as an option on new vehicles as well as a retrofit option for all current Mazdas with MZD Connect beginning August 6 2018.

According to the German press release the prices are €300 as option for new vehicles, and €240 for a retrofit kit (excluding labor).

Read more in the official Mazda press release here

I, for one, cannot wait to have it installed in my 2017 Mazda 3. It is the only thing I am missing in my other than that fully specced car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.