Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I've been toying with the idea of sending my kids an "allowance" for money they earn with chores via Apple Cash (Not apple card). I've got the kids set up to be able to receive apple cash... but I can't figure out how to let them spend it.

Whenever my kids try to do an in-app purchase, it asks me for permission (which I like), but it seems to pull the cash from my credit card (as family organizer) rather than from the Apple Card balance. On their end, they seem to have no option to select their apple card balance for the payment.

Has anyone figured out how to let kids use Apple Cash balance to make in-app purchases without having to turn off purchase sharing?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I’m not sure off hand but how about having them pay you back with Apple Cash.
While that would work it doesn't really improve my current setup.

Currently I have a Google Sheets ledger that I share with them in read only mode. When they earn money, their balance goes up. When they spend, I subtract. Kindof like a bank balance for the kids. Only problem is it is a bit time consuming to maintain.

I had hoped they could just "spend" their apple cash balance like they do their gift card balances. That way, I could just send the money to their cards and they have a current balance and transaction history auto-maintained on the device.

While I could just buy them apple gift card balance, I don't like that idea because it ties up their money. With the apple cash, they can still spend it on anything (not just apple stuff). I guess for now I'll just keep maintaining a ledger of their balances and just have it hit my card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.