Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
speed bump? really? Or you are getting into your garage?

"..in every category" <-- Personally, I think this statement is the same as "everyone makes mistakes"

If he rollouts iPads as frequent as now and creating more sizes and models, Apple will not only hit one speed bump, it will be pulled over and tolled. :(

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I get, and I think he gets as well, what you are/were focusing on; the OP. I don't think anyone is missing your point. What you seem to be missing is you hijacked the focus of his post to supplant it with yours. He was focusing on the hardware. His comments were directly related to the hardware. You say hardware is secondary. Secondary to the point you were trying to make. Hardware was primary to his point. Maybe there was a better post than his to posit your ideas.

By no means am I trying to tell you which posts to respond to. <- I hate prepostions at the end of sentences but I'm tired and my wife says I have to go to bed.:mad: But your response was not related to the subject he was talking about. You're talking about Apple's growth and he was focusing on Apple's hardware. Can we just say you win and call it a day?

All the best to you. There will be other subjects tomorrow and I look forward to the discourse.

I honestly don't know what people get. His argument is that phones are inherently more "essential" than tablets.

I wasn't hijacking his point. I was disagreeing with it.

bart4u

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
My IPad 2 works fine and there is no need to upgrade. Apple has to come up with a new IPad maybe with a portable keyboard or an SD slot or even a USB connection so I could add or take data with me quickly. The price point of IPad's are to high and that is why others buy the other companies brand. Maybe it is time for Apple to drop the prices a bit and make up sale dollars in the App Store.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
It's not rocket science to figure out what was nibbling at at heel. The entry level laptop with touch screen is dumped at less than $400. There are tens of millions of kids all over the world who just need a computer. Heck, the Chromebook sells for $299. For this category of users, $100 can buy food for a month.
However, I expect the sale of next gen ipad mini will pick up nicely once people start utilizing the free iWorks bundled with every new iDevice sold. Let's hope Apple keeps improving these apps to make them more maneuverable in iOS, as they are in OSX. Then that $100 barrier will come down.

MacBram

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Zeeland, Nederland
They lost so much market share bro.

They're doomed

----------

Lol soon they'll be telling us that the iPad is a hobby product

Lose marketshare? How, because Apple showed others how to make tablets? How can you "lose" share when you start a new category and others join you?

Nobody made tablets that sold in any quantity before Apple introduced the iPad, there was no such category. So, by definition, Apple had 100%. Then others followed and copied Apple, entering the category/market. So? The market IS in its infancy.

You might as well say: "Dude, Ford has lost so much market share!" Sure, when Henry Ford invented the assembly line, he sold virtually all cars on the road. Now look, there are hundreds of other car makers! No, you have to put it all in a little more context and see what is happening in the current landscape today.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
The problem isn't the hardware, it is the software. iOS cannot be all things to all people. Software that is dumbed down to save on battery and so that grandma doesn't get confused cannot serve enterprise users effectively at the same time.

easy to solve that, iOS just needs a pro mode, see how I didn't call it a dumb mode, much nicer the first way :D pro mode could just be like a more in-depth version of restrictions.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
An oversized iPad has not been officially announced. There is not even that many leaks for it. There's been more supersized iPhone leaks (5.5 inch). And that's something as there has not been that many 5.5 inch iPhone leaks.

People can spin what Cook said anyway they want and their loss if they believe the spin. But I for one will not believe that an oversized iPad is rumoured to be made unless some serious leaks come. And I won't say an oversized iPad is confirmed till Apple do. Walt Mossberg and Jim D are not Apple. They are just hacks who think they can confirm things.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Multiple quarters of lower sales for Apple=nothing to worry about here

1 quarter of lower sales for Samsung=LOLZ! Samedung is gonna die soon!!!

There ya go, I saved everyone here an argument by making it before you did.

Samsung has seen profits plunge for 3 quarters in a row. In the last quarter, Samsung Electronics had 25 % yearly decline, and they blamed Samsung Mobile exclusively.

Apple just had the best June quarter ever, while selling 100x the number of premium tablets that Samsung sold.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Apple just had the best June quarter ever, while selling 100x the number of premium tablets that Samsung sold.

Umm... no? Apple sells like 1.5 times more, and arguably it is Samsung who makes the premium tablet at the moment with the new Tab S lineup.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
He was implying that the feature was a bad idea because he would never use it and he thought it was a stupid idea.

Yes, correct, it was his opinion based on his perception of the feature. Has nothing to do with anyone else.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yes, correct, it was his opinion based on his perception of the feature. Has nothing to do with anyone else.

Then why did he feel the need to quote me if it had nothing to do with anybody else? You're nitpicking and it's pointless. What is your point here exactly?

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
I really want to see how they plan to innovate on the ipad. cause other then spec bumps I can't think of any cool must have new feature.

A precise pen input is one of the obvious things. I just don't get it why they keep this wonderful feature out. Is it because of Steve Job's "Yuck! Who needs a stylus"?
Another obvious thing is two or more apps at the same time. Imagine watching video(TV, music in Youtube, news report, etc. ) while surfing the web and many more combinations.
One more feature is under continuity umbrella. Why not build-in a feature to use the iPad as a secondary desktop display. This is what I call continuity.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My opinion is that competitors have improved their tablets to the point where some people are opting for them over the iPad because of the iPad's limitations.

I don't think making a thinner iPad is the answer, but that's what I think we'll probably see in the fall :(

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Umm... no? Apple sells like 1.5 times more, and arguably it is Samsung who makes the premium tablet at the moment with the new Tab S lineup.

Samsung's vast majority of tablet sales come from under 250$ devices, as their earning reports can easily prove.

No one in their right mind would buy such tablet, and it costs the same or less than the iPad Air.

In fact, you can even buy their 12.2 Galaxy note easily for less than 300 dollars on ebay, because no one is buying those pathetic plastic tablets.

----------

My opinion is that competitors have improved their tablets to the point where some people are opting for them over the iPad because of the iPad's limitations.

I don't think making a thinner iPad is the answer, but that's what I think we'll probably see in the fall :(

That's not a decent opinion.

The only people spending more than 400 $ on tablets are buying iPads. Sales from Samsung and other OEM's premium tablets are declining. Tablet growth is coming from the sub 200$ market, and it has nothing to do with iPad's limitations, but everything to do with a good enough browsing experience on those Android tablets.

Again, before spending more than 500 $ on an iPad Air, people are testing the water with cheap tablets. Nothing wrong with that.

The iPad just needs better multitasking (more than one app at the same time, better app switcher, better homescreen).

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Then why did he feel the need to quote me if it had nothing to do with anybody else? You're nitpicking and it's pointless. What is your point here exactly?

He clearly said "I for one..." and you took it to mean he meant everyone. Its not nitpicking when youre wrong, its pointing out you're wrong.

My point is some people may not want multitasking. That doesn't mean they think no one should have it. And the person you sarcastically replied to clearly was speaking for himself.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
What the iPad really needs:
- Precise pen input. Writing notes or painting on the iPad is currently a bad experience.

- screen more visible outside the house (ie: more powerful and efficient backlight, optical lamination, AND less reflections).

- micro sd slot (probably won't happen, but it's a BIG mistake, despite what blind people say, it could be integrated with the SIM card slot, not changing the design of the tablet one bit, except the wifi models would now have something similar to a sim slot for the micro sd card)

- 2gb of RAM (oh god, come on!!)

- 32 gb for the 399/499 base model. 16 gb is limiting the whole iOS app ecosystem. Because of the space limitation apps can't be bigger than 2gb, which makes better deeper games impossible.

If apple is not willing to change this stuff, Cook can't be surprised that sales have slowed down. Seems incredible to me that they can't figure this out

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
My point is some people may not want multitasking. That doesn't mean they think no one should have it. And the person you sarcastically replied to clearly was speaking for himself.

I don't need healthkit but you don't see me complaining because somebody thinks iOS needs it. Because nothing is forcing me to tap on that healthkit icon. If he was speaking for himself, he wouldn't have quoted me. This is the last I will be replying to this thread.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Samsung's vast majority of tablet sales come from under 250$ devices, as their earning reports can easily prove.

No one in their right mind would buy such tablet, and it costs the same or less than the iPad Air.

Where can you get an iPad Air for less than $250? For that price, I could consider getting one.

Anyway, the Tab S-series seems to sell very well, at least here in Finland. And no wonder, it is in every way equal or better than an iPad. Of course it should be, given that the iPad is almost a year old...

The iPad just needs better multitasking (more than one app at the same time, better app switcher, better homescreen).

More memory, stylus support, better USB support and GPS in all models immediately come to mind as well.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I don't need healthkit but you don't see me complaining because somebody thinks iOS needs it. Because nothing is forcing me to tap on that healthkit icon. If he was speaking for himself, he wouldn't have quoted me. This is the last I will be replying to this thread.

Please dont speak for me. You are because you quoted me.

What kind of strange logic is this? He quoted you because he was responding to your post. Anyway, have a good day.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Again, before spending more than 500 $ on an iPad Air, people are testing the water with cheap tablets. Nothing wrong with that.
Problem is they're finding out those cheaper tablets are pretty good and have more features. So they're not going to drop 500 on a tablet when a Samsung Tablet fits their needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.