Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook this morning spoke at the virtual Computers, Privacy, and Data Protection conference where he discussed Facebook's business model and Apple's upcoming enforcement of App Tracking Transparency, and afterwards, he elaborated on some of his speech in an interview with Fast Company.

tim-cook-data-privacy-day.jpg

Cook said that privacy is "one of the top issues of the century" and that it's important to put "deep thinking" into that to figure out how to "leave something for the next-generation that is a lot better than the current situation." Cook said privacy "should be weighted" like climate change, another huge issue the world is facing.

On the topic of why people should care about their privacy, even when there's nothing to hide, Cook said that he tries to get people to think about living in a world of constant surveillance, something that Apple did this morning with the release of a document called "A Day in the Life of Your Data" that details how third-party companies track user data across websites and apps.
"What changes do you then make in your own behavior? What do you do less of? What do you not do anymore? What are you not as curious about anymore if you know that each time you're on the web, looking at different things, exploring different things, you're going to wind up constricting yourself more and more and more and more? That kind of world is not a world that any of us should aspire to.

"And so I think most people, when they think of it like that ... start thinking quickly about, 'Well, what am I searching for? I look for this and that. I don't really want people to know I'm looking at this and that, because I'm just curious about what it is' or whatever. So it's this change of behavior that happens that is one of the things that I deeply worry about, and I think that everyone should worry about it.
Cook also pointed out that not all "Big Tech" companies are the the same, and he said that he worries about the "broad-brush categorization" of giving major companies like Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple all one label. "I try to encourage people to think a level deeper than that and think about the companies themselves and their business models and how they conduct themselves, and so on and so forth--what their values are," he said.

Cook was asked about whether he thinks artificial intelligence is a threat and how it ranks compared to privacy, and he said that "both of those" can be used negatively and can be "amplified by technology." Cook said that ethical AI, and ethical data privacy and data collection are both important issues that "have to be worked on."

Fast Company's full interview with Cook also touches on technology and extremism, privacy legislature and regulation, and the future of privacy in tech, and it's well worth a read.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: Privacy is 'One of the Top Issues of the Century'

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Cook said privacy "should be weighted" like climate change, another huge issue the world is facing.
While I appreciate Apple's stance on privacy, especially when compared to the likes of Google and Facebook, the arbitrary insertion of other polarizing, political issues, which couldn't be more different... well I could do without that.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
While I appreciate Apple's stance on privacy, especially when compared to the likes of Google and Facebook, the arbitrary insertion of other polarizing, political issues, which couldn't be more different... well I could do without that.
More like "depolarizing" amirite?

In all seriousness... No, Cook, our chat messages being snooped is not as important as the entire world becoming uninhabitable. And Apple isn't really promoting privacy any further than it's profitable to them.

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Cook said that privacy is "one of the top issues of the century" and that it's important to put "deep thinking" into that to figure out how to "leave something for the next-generation that is a lot better than the current situation."

I could not agree more, thank you Apple!

On the topic of why people should care about their privacy, even when there's nothing to hide, Cook said that he tries to get people to think about living in a world of constant surveillance, something that Apple did this morning with the release of a document called "A Day in the Life of Your Data" that details how third-party companies track user data across websites and apps.

Sadly, most people don't know the extent to which they are tracked and even more sadly most don't care enough to even do basic research on the topic! Thankfully Apple, with small steps like the upcoming Tracking Notification, is shedding some light on the topic.

Bravo!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Privacy is a double edged sword. I agree that people should have privacy, but there are actions, and discussions that should not have any privacy at all. Conspiring to attack, murder, rape, pillage, plunder, should not have any privacy. But how to remove privacy depending on what is being discussed. Wow... I don't know if that's even possible.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

I agree. There should be a law banning speech that other people don't agree with.

• Disagree
Reactions: planteater and eXan

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
In the case of Facebook....I don't view it as merely a privacy issue. Facebook's engagement algorithms have blown way past just being a privacy concern. They're neck deep into manipulating people's thoughts & emotions.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Privacy is important and I'm grateful that Apple takes it so seriously. I wish they took speech equally as serious.

Apple don't take privacy seriously as there is a long list of changes they could make to their products to enhance privacy significantly. I agree that they're better than most competitors but we shouldn't forget that they'd drop any commitment to privacy in a heartbeat if it hurts their business (see: iCloud and iPhone in China).

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Apple don't take privacy seriously as there is a long list of changes they could make to their products to enhance privacy significantly. I agree that they're better than most competitors but we shouldn't forget that they'd drop any commitment to privacy in a heartbeat if it hurts their business (see: iCloud and iPhone in China).
Apple's policies vis-a-vis China are created to comply with China's laws. it's not a concern that it might "hurt[] their business," which clearly it wouldn't.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Privacy is a double edged sword. I agree that people should have privacy, but there are actions, and discussions that should not have any privacy at all. Conspiring to attack, murder, rape, pillage, plunder, should not have any privacy. But how to remove privacy depending on what is being discussed. Wow... I don't know if that's even possible.

It is a double edged sword, you're right, there is no way as far as I'm aware to preserve privacy for all whilst removing privacy for those that want to conspire for evil purposes. I don't think we can have it both ways technologically, nor should we. Frankly speaking people using good (privacy, free speech, etc.) for evil is part of the tradeoff at the moment and I think people should look closer at how big of a threat tech freedom is in reality... Personally I don't think the threat is as big as some make it out to be; historically speaking it's fairly obvious why those in power are creating a narrative against privacy tech.

On the other hand, hope is not lost. I strongly believe there is a great deal of programs and laws that can be worked on to solve the issues you're talking about on a systemic, root level. Similar to the current arguments surrounding reduced policing in favor of solving the root causes of crime, calling for limits on free speech/privacy (as many in government are doing) is the same as arguing for increased policing rather than the more progressive approach of looking at the causes of crime and working from there. Encryption backdoors, removing privacy, etc. is damage control at best, authoritarianism at worst.

Generally speaking I'm optimistic about our tech future as it seems many people are starting to realize how essential privacy and free speech is to them.

Reactions: Captain Trips
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.