Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
09465637-9C93-4340-88C7-5DE93D808BD8.png

Ever since the launch of Apple Cash (formerly Apple Pay Cash) in the US in December 2017, the virtual debit card associated with the service was a Discover debit card. Starting today, April 19th, 2022 this has changed and the card is now a Visa debit card. This is good news to Apple Cash users, as acceptance of Visa is much broader and it makes it easier to use the card for purchases outside the US.

Green Dot bank, Apple’s financial partner, also updated the terms of service, eliminating all explicit mentions of Discover, and removed the 3% fee on foreign purchases that used to be in place when the card was Discover.

Update 4/22: Macrumors has posted an article about the network switch.

Last edited:

lartola

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
Mine still shows Discover Debit.

Maybe it needs a day or so to work its way to all users, or is this change only outside of the U.S.?
I guess it may need a couple of days to roll out to everyone. It can’t be for outside the US because Apple Cash is only available in the US.

Also, you may want to make sure you’re running iOS 15.4 or later. That’s what I am running and mine did change to visa.

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Still Discover too. Latest iOS. Killed the wallet app and restarted the iPhone but no change. It might be one of those things that takes a while to roll out for everyone.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I guess it may need a couple of days to roll out to everyone. It can’t be for outside the US because Apple Cash is only available in the US.

Also, you may want to make sure you’re running iOS 10.4 or later. That’s what I am running and mine did change to visa.
iOS 10.4 or later? I assume you mean 15.4 (there was no 10.4 version of iOS as far as I know).

In any event I have the latest version of iOS installed on my iPhone, 15.4.1. Still on Discover, not that it makes much difference to me, but I'm curious as to why this wasn't officially announced in some way. I do see that the card image incorporating the VISA logo is present in some of the images used on the Apple website, but not all of them:

lartola

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
iOS 10.4 or later? I assume you mean 15.4 (there was no 10.4 version of iOS as far as I know).

In any event I have the latest version of iOS installed on my iPhone, 15.4.1. Still on Discover, not that it makes much difference to me, but I'm curious as to why this wasn't officially announced in some way. I do see that the card image incorporating the VISA logo is present in some of the images used on the Apple website, but not all of them:

yeah, sorry. I meant iOS 15.4. And yes, Apple did put some images on their website. A friend of mine saw them and let me know, that’s how I found out about the network change to visa. Do note, however, that the image above is a screenshot of my own apple cash card with $10 in it, not from Apple’s website.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
The network info is in the Apple Wallet. Open the Wallet, tap on the Apple Cash card, then tap the three dots in the circle at the top right, above the card image.
Also, if you have any balance on your apple cash card double-click the side button and the visa logo will show up on the card image upon authenticating with face id if yours has already been switched to visa.

Reactions: ecschwarz

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Also, if you have any balance on your apple cash card double-click the side button and the visa logo will show up on the card image upon authenticating with face id if yours has already been switched to visa.
I noticed the Visa logo when I was setting up a different device last night and then had to look at my iPhone and noticed the Visa logo is displayed when you tap the three dots for the card details or open Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay. I wondered if maybe the old cards kept the plain look, like when it transitioned from Apple Pay Cash > Apple Cash (until you re-added the card, the text in the corner didn't change), but this subtle incorporation of Visa's branding is interesting and arguably nicely done.

I'm sort of surprised Apple has had products on different card networks and different issuing banks...it feels a bit messy that the Daily Cash from the Apple Card gets transferred from Goldman Sachs to Green Dot and the two products are on different card networks, too.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
I'm sort of surprised Apple has had products on different card networks and different issuing banks...it feels a bit messy that the Daily Cash from the Apple Card gets transferred from Goldman Sachs to Green Dot and the two products are on different card networks, too.

I’m not too suprised about that. I was always baffled, however, by their choice to make the Apple Cash card a Discover debit card. First of all, because they always did intend for US users to be able to use the Apple Cash debit card for purchases internationally (Green Dot had it in the terms and conditions from day one, with a 3% fee that has now been eliminated upon changing to visa), and Discover makes that much harder. Second, because Green Dot is the bank behind all the prepaid cards sold at CVS, Walgreens and other places in the US, and most if not all of those prepaid debit cards are either Visa or Mastercard, so Green Dot issuing Discover debit, as they did for Apple Cash is a real rarity.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yep, just turning it off and on (be aware it took 45+ seconds of activation) - and now I have a Visa Debit Apple Cash card - shows on my watch too. Nice!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I turned it off and back on. Now when I bore down though the 3 dots, it shows VISA Debit, but the card image does not show a network of any kind... just Cash

IMG_1891.jpg

Reactions: 45ACP

lartola

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
I turned it off and back on. Now when I bore down though the 3 dots, it shows VISA Debit, but the card image does not show a network of any kind... just Cash

View attachment 1995531
yeah the visa logo only shows up when you’re ready to pay, after double-clicking the side button and authenticating with face id.

Reactions: jpr281

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
No automatic update as of yet. Mine is still on Discover. I don’t know if there’s a particular iOS you need to be running I’m still on 14.8

lartola

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
No automatic update as of yet. Mine is still on Discover. I don’t know if there’s a particular iOS you need to be running I’m still on 14.8

You might want to update to 15.4.1. That’s what I’m running and mine updated automatically several days ago.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
The 15s haven’t shown any good reason for me to upgrade except for possible security reasons. This is the first iOS update I haven’t cared about jumping up to. I actually turned off auto update. Didn’t they find traces of the pre-crime software in the various 15 iOS? You the one that scans your phone like you’re a criminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.