Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Good Afternoon everyone,

I appreciate your time and I know everyone is busy during this crazy time.

First off, I hope everyone is well and safe during this pandemic. I am a long time Apple customer and follower of MacRumors.

I had a wireless charging issue with my Iphone 11 Pro Max a few weeks ago and spoke with Apple support. I was helped very kindly by the support team and ultimately given the option to mail in my phone with an express replacement set up given the pandemic and the fact that stores were inaccessible.

The new phone arrived and I mailed my original phone back immediately after. This was confirmed to be received by Apple and Fed Ex. A few days later I was informed, that a scratch had been found on the screen of my phone (despite having a screen protector). As a result, I was charged the out of warranty cost for the phone. In Canadian dollars this was $830.70 Canadian dollars.

I looked at my credit card statement and was charged $ 830.70. However, in addition to this charge, I was charged an additional $ 1,762.04. This is the cost of a BRAND new Iphone 11 Pro max plus tax in Canadian dollars.

So, I was charged a total of $830.70 + $1, 762.04 = $2, 592.71 Canadian.

I called and spoke to the Apple support regarding this incorrect additional charge. They reviewed the file and admitted this did not seem correct. They have escalated this to the Senior Advisor who I have now been working with for 2 weeks on this matter.

I had my 3rd call with this gentleman today. Each call about an hour or so long. Despite the 2 week time period. He tells me the refund request keeps getting rejected. He states that billing states they did not charge me for this. He has verified that they have in fact charged me and I have the bill on my credit card statement as well.

At this point, I am told that "they are saying no" and there is not much that can be done.

Despite being a long time customer, I have not been able to get any resolution to this blatantly incorrect charge. I have been left with the answer that Apple can issue this charged even though it does not seem correct.

In essence I have had $ 1, 762.04 taken from me. This is essentially a case of taking money from someone without any cause.

I am really unsure as to how to proceed from here. I was unsure if getting this publicized by Macrumors would help in any way. I do appreciate any help or guidance you can offer.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Wow
Reactions: brucemr and rafark

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Good Afternoon everyone,

I appreciate your time and I know everyone is busy during this crazy time.

First off, I hope everyone is well and safe during this pandemic. I am a long time Apple customer and follower of MacRumors.

I had a wireless charging issue with my Iphone 11 Pro Max a few weeks ago and spoke with Apple support. I was helped very kindly by the support team and ultimately given the option to mail in my phone with an express replacement set up given the pandemic and the fact that stores were inaccessible.

The new phone arrived and I mailed my original phone back immediately after. This was confirmed to be received by Apple and Fed Ex. A few days later I was informed, that a scratch had been found on the screen of my phone (despite having a screen protector). As a result, I was charged the out of warranty cost for the phone. In Canadian dollars this was $830.70 Canadian dollars.

I looked at my credit card statement and was charged $ 830.70. However, in addition to this charge, I was charged an additional $ 1,762.04. This is the cost of a BRAND new Iphone 11 Pro max plus tax in Canadian dollars.

So, I was charged a total of $830.70 + $1, 762.04 = $2, 592.71 Canadian.

I called and spoke to the Apple support regarding this incorrect additional charge. They reviewed the file and admitted this did not seem correct. They have escalated this to the Senior Advisor who I have now been working with for 2 weeks on this matter.

I had my 3rd call with this gentleman today. Each call about an hour or so long. Despite the 2 week time period. He tells me the refund request keeps getting rejected. He states that billing states they did not charge me for this. He has verified that they have in fact charged me and I have the bill on my credit card statement as well.

At this point, I am told that "they are saying no" and there is not much that can be done.

Despite being a long time customer, I have not been able to get any resolution to this blatantly incorrect charge. I have been left with the answer that Apple can issue this charged even though it does not seem correct.

In essence I have had $ 1, 762.04 taken from me. This is essentially a case of taking money from someone without any cause.

I am really unsure as to how to proceed from here. I was unsure if getting this publicized by Macrumors would help in any way. I do appreciate any help or guidance you can offer.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Dude. Use the consumer protection benefits provided by your credit card. And protest the incorrect charge.
You have done all you can do when dealing with a reticent Apple "advocate". Being a "longtime Apple customer" is irrelevant.
Just escalate and stop payment thru your credit card. They will investigate.
And, while this is decided, you should not be charged.
As a matter of fact, you have probably waited far too long -- the charge may have been processed already. But does not matter. If so, you will get a credit back.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It sounds like they put a temporary charge on your card for the price of a new phone, in case you didn’t send your old one back. That part, is standard Apple procedure. Get in touch with your credit card company and deny the charge as authorized. The onus will then be on Apple to show otherwise. Make sure you provide your credit card company proof that Apple received your damaged phone.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Check with the credit card company. Retailers put holds on credit cards when you place an order. Sometimes that hold doesn’t come off automatically. Take the communication you have from Apple and send it to them. They will soft it out for you.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Dude. Use the consumer protection benefits provided by your credit card. And protest the incorrect charge.
You have done all you can do when dealing with a reticent Apple "advocate". Being a "longtime Apple customer" is irrelevant.
Just escalate and stop payment thru your credit card. They will investigate.
And, while this is decided, you should not be charged.
As a matter of fact, you have probably waited far too long -- the charge may have been processed already. But does not matter. If so, you will get a credit back.

Just spoke to my CC company. They have informed me that I can file a fraudulent charge claim. I was asked to try to call Apple to see if they would send a letter admitting the incorrect charge. I doubt they would though. But as last recourse, I could file a fraudulent charge claim by the CC company. Im supposed to speak to the Senior Adisor again on Thursday. If he doesnt not resolve it after a 4th try or does not provide me with any letter etc, il file the fraud claim.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
It sounds like they put a temporary charge on your card for the price of a new phone, in case you didn’t send your old one back. That part, is standard Apple procedure. Get in touch with your credit card company and deny the charge as authorized. The onus will then be on Apple to show otherwise. Make sure you provide your credit card company proof that Apple received your damaged phone.

Exactly. But they actually charged me for the HOLD amount and in addition to that charged me the cost for replacement of the device. When I first noticed this, I did call Apple and they assured me they had removed the HOLD amount.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Exactly. But they actually charged me for the HOLD amount and in addition to that charged me the cost for replacement of the device. When I first noticed this, I did call Apple and they assured me they had removed the HOLD amount.
Confirm with your credit card if this is the case. You are not liable for any disputed charge while the credit card company investigates. Just make sure you give them all the pertinent information.

Reactions: MG999

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Thanks for the advice re CC company. Ive started that process for now so at the least can file the fraudulent charge claim and not be liable for the cost.

Im honestly shocked at this entire process.

Ive heard people have sent emails to Tim Cook? Find it hard to believe he is the one who reads them, but even if a Customer Rep got the email do you think its worth sending?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks for the advice re CC company. Ive started that process for now so at the least can file the fraudulent charge claim and not be liable for the cost.

Ive heard people have sent emails to Tim Cook? Find it hard to believe he is the one who reads them, but even if a Customer Rep got the email do you think its worth sending?
Don’t email Tim about this. Let your credit card company do the heavy lifting.

Reactions: CosminM and MG999

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Be warned, Apple may be polite enough to send a nasty letter to you and start calling, threatening legal action against you for credit card charge-back fraud and keeping their product. Keep all your correspondence, emails, and record of your phone calls etc just in case. had a similar issue last year where I got charged twice for a MBP and I fought a total of 7 months with them.

Reactions: CosminM

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Be warned, Apple may be polite enough to send a nasty letter to you and start calling, threatening legal action against you for credit card charge-back fraud and keeping their product. Keep all your correspondence, emails, and record of your phone calls etc just in case. had a similar issue last year where I got charged twice for a MBP and I fought a total of 7 months with them.

How did it resolve? There was no product to keep as they never sent me a new phone. Only the replacement phone which I was charged for.

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
managed to have RBC Visa demand that they show that a second product was shipped to me as all my emails showed that there was 1 unit shipped last September. Apple would not believe me that there was never a second order and no other orders were showed or shipped in my Apple ID login.

I admit 99% of it was letting RBC deal with them and demanding they pay me back or I would happily file a small claims court file with them to attempt to prove that a second machine was shipped to me or admit fault.

after 7 months they credited back my card with no interest or anything.

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017

You should file fraudulent charge on also for the amount of 830.70. I suppose the Canada has a better consumer protection than US and more in line with EU?

That charge is insulting and I find it disgusting how Apple is trying to escape for their responsibility to fix clearly another issue. This is not the first time I have heard of similar behavior either.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You should file fraudulent charge on also for the amount of 830.70. I suppose the Canada has a better consumer protection than US and more in line with EU?

That charge is insulting and I find it disgusting how Apple is trying to escape for their responsibility to fix clearly another issue. This is not the first time I have heard of similar behavior either.
Mistakes happen. People make mistakes and don’t read. Companies make mistakes. It’s not the first time or last time.

Hope OP gets this resolved.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
pretty sure they’re only holding the funds temporarily.

Nope. Its not a temporary charge. This charge has been processed and is complete. I verified that initially.

Will update you guys next week. Have an update call w the Senior Advisor on Tuesday. Hopefully it is resolved by then. If not next step will be to proceed w the CC companies option.

I am also curious to see if they will offer any apology etc for time cost by this entire process in terms of customer satisfaction.

In any case, will keep you all updated. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Reactions: I7guy

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016

Tbh, initially I disputed this charge as well. I sent the phone w a screen protector and in good condition. They claim to have found a scratch on the top of the screen. I tried to dispute this, but things were then complicated by this new charge and the focus shifted.

At this point, Ive come to terms with the fact that the 830 charge will not go anywhere as I cant prove that there wasnt a scratch on the screen when I sent it to them. Even though this had nothing to do with the wireless charging issue.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
These horror stories of people sending in their devices is a huge discouragement to a consumer like me. And this is supposedly easier than selling on Ebay / other markets... It may cost more but this is why I'm a huge fan of the iUP plan (apple upgrade plan). It has been so seamless and so easy.

When I got a massive scratch on my Apple Watch - I was told if I requested an AppleCare+ replacement, they'd charge me the full retail price of the watch until I had sent my scratched one in. I understand businesses needing to protect themselves but a $1300+ charge for an iPhone 11 Pro Max would be felt heavily lol.

Good luck getting this resolved and thanks for keeping us updated. Astounds me that this hasn't been resolved quickly. Very un-Apple like - not normal.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
These horror stories of people sending in their devices is a huge discouragement to a consumer like me. And this is supposedly easier than selling on Ebay / other markets... It may cost more but this is why I'm a huge fan of the iUP plan (apple upgrade plan). It has been so seamless and so easy.

When I got a massive scratch on my Apple Watch - I was told if I requested an AppleCare+ replacement, they'd charge me the full retail price of the watch until I had sent my scratched one in. I understand businesses needing to protect themselves but a $1300+ charge for an iPhone 11 Pro Max would be felt heavily lol.

Good luck getting this resolved and thanks for keeping us updated. Astounds me that this hasn't been resolved quickly. Very un-Apple like - not normal.

Could not agree more. Ive been shocked by the entire process. Like you said, does not feel like an "Apple-like" experience at all.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
You should be careful, I read a post a while back where apple locked the apple-ID for someone who did a fraud charge from an app store purchase. Apple is not a very ethical company and sucks to see them charge you so much. Why 800 CAD for a new screen, thats even more strange. Did you not have apple care or was the scratch on the back of the device?

Reactions: Samut

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
You should be careful, I read a post a while back where apple locked the apple-ID for someone who did a fraud charge from an app store purchase. Apple is not a very ethical company and sucks to see them charge you so much. Why 800 CAD for a new screen, thats even more strange. Did you not have apple care or was the scratch on the back of the device?

I did not have Apple care but I was within the 1 year period of warranty. In any case, they say that bc a defect was found on the product they charge you the full cost of "out of warranty replacement" of the device. This is the $830.

Thats a whole separate argument of mine. At this point, Im just trying to take it one step at a time and at least get the $ 1700 back.

Reactions: The1andOnly

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I did not have Apple care but I was within the 1 year period of warranty. In any case, they say that bc a defect was found on the product they charge you the full cost of "out of warranty replacement" of the device. This is the $830.

Thats a whole separate argument of mine. At this point, Im just trying to take it one step at a time and at least get the $ 1700 back.
I wish you the best of luck, if you have photos in your iCloud, make sure its download on a drive or computer along with other important data. I understand how sneaky the company is. I sent my XS max in for a screen replacement and they denied it because there was a crack in the bottom housing (never was, even had pics of the device before sending it in), and when I got it back there was a chip in the bottom corner...

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Tbh, initially I disputed this charge as well. I sent the phone w a screen protector and in good condition. They claim to have found a scratch on the top of the screen. I tried to dispute this, but things were then complicated by this new charge and the focus shifted.

At this point, Ive come to terms with the fact that the 830 charge will not go anywhere as I cant prove that there wasnt a scratch on the screen when I sent it to them. Even though this had nothing to do with the wireless charging issue.

If the phone was in excellent condition I dont believe they have right to void warranty. It is basically the same as car manufacturer would not honor their warranty with faulty engine if the paintjob has a minor scratch which are basically impossible to avoid.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Ended up sending that email to the Tim Cook address on Friday.

Just got a call from a member of the Executive Relations Team this afternoon. They said that they reviewed the case and Identified several errors that were made.

1. The way the replacement device request was made had been incorrect in their system
2. The numerous attempt to request for a refund had been done with incorrect info each time in their system as well
3. When she reviewed images of the phone at the repair centre, the whole screen was actually cracked.

She was very polite and apologetic for the errors (#1 and #2) that were made and the length of time this has taken to try to get a resolution ( 3 weeks now). She informed me that she had already processed the request for a refund for the $ 1,762.04.

I thanked her and also assured her that the phone I sent in did not have any scratch, let alone a cracked screen (understanding that I had no way to prove this). She was very understanding and said that she would try to process a refund for the $ 830.70 as well due to the overall inconvenience and bad customer experience.

I think in the end, this was the better route to go then waiting for the calls with the Senior Advisor. Ive heard of people emailing the Tim Cook address with no response in the past. I think it seems to depend on the severity of the issue and wether there were in fact errors made. If its a big issue or blatant errors were made it seems that you should expect a response.

I will wait to get the final refund, but if it all goes through I will be glad that Apple has taken the appropriate steps to maintain customer satisfaction and rectify their error.

Thank you guys all for your input and advice on this matter thus far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.