Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steplander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Hello
Have you noticed that your phone is running out of memory?
When you look at your memory usage,, even though you've deleted all of your messages, there is a few gigs of messages "SAVED."
Have you realized that you can't delete these messages and recover this used memory?
Well, according to Apple, unless you do a HARD RESET, the iphone is going to keep on slowly choking the memory out of your phone.
They KNOW it and it's been this way for a very long time; One OS after another.
Conclusion:
They don't WANT you to be able to delete the messages from memory because the phone will eventually choke itself to death and the average, not-so-tech-savvy, customer won't understand why their phone never has any memory... they'll just think they need a new phone with more memory.
APPLE is slowly stealing memory from you!!
I believe this is grounds for a class action lawsuit.
They are, in fact, charging you for memory. They offer choices of phones separated by the amount of memory inside, right?
They KNOW the phones are choking the memory-life out of your phone. They actually PROGRAMMED the phone to do this. It's embedded in the OS to NOT ALLOW you to recover this memory.
So, they are stealing memory, you paid for, little by little.
Just because it's slow, doesn't mean it's not theft.
Think about it folks.
If you've read this far, you should stop and check your phone right now.
If you've had your phone for a while, and you text frequently, you'll notice MESSAGES is sucking the life out of your phone.
-Steplander :mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You are talking about free/used space, not so much about memory it seems.

As far as messages are concerned, there has been a known bug for a while until about iOS 7 with messages and their attachments being saved somewhere and not deleted (it can be fixed by restoring and perhaps not using a backup or playing around with a backup using software like iBackupBot to remove these saved messages), but once those older messages aren't there since iOS 7 where the bug doesn't exist the messages can be cleared out and that will clear out the used space associated with them as well.

But, I guess a conspiracy theory of some sort can sound more interesting to some.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I really hope this is a joke. Any minor inconvenience becomes a conspiracy theory.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Your first post and it's about Apple stealing from their users. How much did Samsung pay you to post this?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Why did I suddenly picture a black and white video with some incompetent person fumbling with an iPhone while an announcer says in a informercial voice

"Have you noticed....."
"tired of all the memory loss"

<cuts to scene where bumbling idiot is somehow tangled up in the lightning cable>

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Why did I suddenly picture a black and white video with some incompetent person fumbling with an iPhone while an announcer says in a informercial voice

"Have you noticed....."
"tired of all the memory loss"

<cuts to scene where bumbling idiot is somehow tangled up in the lightning cable>

Haha.

"You need Memory Regain XL. Now with 50% more memory!"

Steplander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Serious?

Nobody paid me to write that post. (!!@@!!)
I'm not using any third party software.

As an example, I just now made certain there were no messages saved in iphone MESSAGES app.

I connected to my PC and synched to itunes (as suggested by others who have posted elsewhere claiming this will clear the "saved" messages from phone).

I ejected the phone and checked the Settings screen:

Settings/General/Usage.

I waited for a few moments while it tallied up what is using the most to the least space on the phone.

MESSAGES is using 2.7 GB of "storage" or memory (or whatever TF you want to call it, but you know what I;'m talking about....(

a tap on the right arrow and I can see that 2.7 GB is detailed the following way:
Messages 2.7 GB
Messages (saved) 2.7 GB

This number grows, week after week, as the phone is used for sending texts, photos and videos.

Yes, I have talked to APPLE and they are aware of the "problem" and have only one solution: "Hard Reset" to factory default and do not restore phone using the backup image on itunes... start over and download apps from app store."

I don't feel that should be a solution.

If you only send texts and nothing more, I don't believe you're going to feel the impact as much as someone like me who sends a lot of video and photo messages. (Texts small, video big...)

Steplander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
fix??

Thanks but:
That's not a fix. That's more like a Hack.
It just amplifies the point I am making:
I shouldn't have to HACK my way out of this.
I shouldn't have to download third party software to get around the lock.
I shouldn't have to hard re-set my phone and follow a long string of steps just to delete a block of saved messages.
APPLE should present a solution.
Am I really along in thinking this?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks but:
That's not a fix. That's more like a Hack.
It just amplifies the point I am making:
I shouldn't have to HACK my way out of this.
I shouldn't have to download third party software to get around the lock.
I shouldn't have to hard re-set my phone and follow a long string of steps just to delete a block of saved messages.
APPLE should present a solution.
Am I really along in thinking this?
Solution to what? There was a bug and they fixed it. After the bug has been fixed eh issue you describe doesn't exist, and those who had it prior to the fix unfortunately have to deal with cleaning things up once due to the bug that was there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.