Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

I have a general question about the Cinema display model A1316. That question is, will it work with a mac pro TOWER, not a macbook. I've seen people using it with a macbook, but not with a tower. If it does work, does it just plug into the wall, then the mini DO cable into the gpu, or is it a display out only?

Thanks in advance.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
You will need a mini display connector, or an adapter for it (with audio). What are your video ports on your pro?

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
You should be fine then. For the life of me I cannot remember which original Mac I had them connected to, but I had 2 of the Cinema displays on a 2013 "Trash Can" Mac Pro before switching. Best monitors I have had, built in camera, a good number of ports. Regret giving them away.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
You should be fine then. For the life of me I cannot remember which original Mac I had them connected to, but I had 2 of the Cinema displays on a 2013 "Trash Can" Mac Pro before switching. Best monitors I have had, built in camera, a good number of ports. Regret giving them away.
I do see a problem though, it seems the display only has 3 usb ports and no other mini DP ports.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Your cable should have three connections on it: Mini DisplayPort with audio support, universal MagSafe (up to 85W), USB 2.0, the display itself should have 3 usb2 ports.
1712069601254.png

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I do see a problem though, it seems the display only has 3 usb ports and no other mini DP ports.
That is correct. The later Thunderbolt version of the display has a few more ports, but even that doesn't have an additional mini DP port (it can only output Thunderbolt). I have an A1316 as my main display connected to my M1 Mac mini and it's still an excellent display in 2024. It has a USB cable that connects to the computer for the hub to work, so that's something to remember too.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I do not understand your question. Per Apple it is a mini display port with audio. I did not check the adapter cable I saw on Amazon to insure it handled audio, you will need to do that

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
I do not understand your question. Per Apple it is a mini display port with audio. I did not check the adapter cable I saw on Amazon to insure it handled audio, you will need to do that
What I mean is is it only going to display if it's plugged into a macbook, or will it give a display when plugged into a tower?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Any computer you plug it into, it will display. Does not matter if it is a Mac desktop, laptop, or iPad. If your Tower is a windows machine (or other) it should work the same as well, but you can always google it to confirm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.