Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlin615

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Los Angeles, CA.
I just picked up a new 23" ACD, got it hooked up to my MBP. I had the power adapter box standing vertically on my desk. Anyways, While I was working on organizing the cables, SLAM!, the power adaper box tipped over onto the desk. now sitting horizontally from the 90 degree tip. Do I have anything to worry about such as internal damage to the power adapter?

Also, how come the manual said not to carry the display by the stand? But it just make more sense carrying the display by the stand, this way not having the screen itself lift that heavy-weight stand.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
Because the stand is a separate peice,its removable, so its possible for it to detach if you carry it from the stand.

Radam

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
im thinking the power adapter should be fine, it wasn't a big fall, and people have done a lot worse to electronics.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
There are no moving parts, so it's unlikely to be damaged. And the stand is surely a lot lighter than the display, the aluminium casing of which would be taking the load anyway.

jlin615

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Los Angeles, CA.
My desk top is made of wood board, so it can echoes major sound from just small impact. The power adapter was standing vertically, then tips and lays flat horizontally. Sort of like a iPod tips over when it's not correctly connected into the dock.

I just shook power adapter to hear for any sound of any internal components broken off. Turned out no sound but a tiny bit of stiff rattling. Thugh it's still function, I'm still paranoid and worried.

As for carrying the ACD, I dont really think it'll hurt if holding it by the stand upright position, which I did. The manual probably meant not to hold it by the stand upside down or in a 90 degress position, which increases the chance of the screen knock into something. The stand secures the screen and it's designed to hold the weight of the screen, I don't see why carrying this display by the stand in a upright position will be a issue.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
As for carrying the ACD, I dont really think it'll hurt if holding it by the stand upright position, which I did. The manual probably meant not to hold it by the stand upside down or in a 90 degress position, which increases the chance of the screen knock into something. The stand secures the screen and it's designed to hold the weight of the screen, I don't see why carrying this display by the stand in a upright position will be a issue.

so, you're going to interpret (in a way that suits what you want) the warning in the manual to not carry the display by the stand? fabulous. it's your display and you can do anything your little heart desires with it, but i hope you don't expect sympathy in the near future when you've broken your $999 display by carrying it the wrong way... ;) and we hereby reserve the right to say "i told you so" at said time. shoot, we should get a smiley that says that, if nothing else than for the sake of efficiency... :D

jlin615

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Los Angeles, CA.
so, you're going to interpret (in a way that suits what you want) the warning in the manual to not carry the display by the stand? fabulous. it's your display and you can do anything your little heart desires with it, but i hope you don't expect sympathy in the near future when you've broken your $999 display by carrying it the wrong way... ;) and we hereby reserve the right to say "i told you so" at said time. shoot, we should get a smiley that says that, if nothing else than for the sake of efficiency... :D

Wow, take it easy. I'm just really confused of what the manual is trying to say. It isnt very clear or provide any illustrations. If you read my last post again, I'm just giving guesses and opinion to discuss with rest of you. I'm very sorry to make you upset.

"Before you lift or reposition your display, you may need to disconnect the cables and power cord. Use correct lifting techniques when positioning the display.When lifting or carrying the display, grasp the edges. Do not lift the display by the stand or the cord." :confused:

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Wow, take it easy. I'm just really confused of what the manual is trying to say. It isnt very clear or provide any illustrations. If you read my last post again, I'm just giving guesses and opinion to discuss with rest of you. I'm very sorry to make you upset.

"Before you lift or reposition your display, you may need to disconnect the cables and power cord. Use correct lifting techniques when positioning the display.When lifting or carrying the display, grasp the edges. Do not lift the display by the stand or the cord." :confused:

i didn't intend to sound harsh - i guess i'm just at a loss as to how "do not lift the display by the stand..." could be confusing or be open for interpretation. and i'm not upset, but thanks for your concern. good luck with carrying your display... :)

jlin615

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Los Angeles, CA.
My desk top is made of wood board, so it can echoes major sound from just small impact. The power adapter was standing vertically, then tips and lays flat horizontally. Sort of like a iPod tips over when it's not correctly connected into the dock.

I just shook power adapter to hear for any sound of any internal components broken off. Turned out no sound but a tiny bit of stiff rattling. Thugh it's still function, I'm still paranoid and worried.

What are you guys' opinion on my power adapter situation? Should I get it replaced?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.