Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Normally in a civil case a judge would decide according to which side is more likely to be right, even if it is just a tiny bit more likely (and he can't refuse the decision, if both sides are exactly equally likely to be right).

Even tough this statement is arbitrary it's not a civil case to begin with.
And the two years warrantee does count for European countries listen within the European Union. At least any consumer can use the italian verdict as a valid argument. In Holland the same ruling counts.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Never heard of that. Ever. Most new Apple customers that I know don't believe you at first that they can go to an Apple store with a problem and someone will actually help them. That concept is to many computer users completely alien.

I did, and it's true.

I'm a Apple user for decades and I welcomed the new Apple store in Amsterdam the Netherlands where I live. But unfortunately the average knowledge of most "genius" help-desk employees is very limited to put it mildly. It's great when you have simple issues with Apple products, but as soon it bypass the level of "simple" the problems start to kick in. Been busy with several employees for over an hour, two when counting the waiting time, and went home with no solution to my problem. It was not a big problem but rather an annoying one, my iTunes kept telling me it couldn't update the program's I bought, it took me (at the end) several hours to install everything again after formatting the hard drive. Several hours because not all programs that I bought came from Apple, and then you have the several settings you can't restore with a simple click on a button.

Don't get me wrong but Genius Apple Employees have an average knowledge about Apple products and the Apple phone help desk situated in Ireland is so so. Either you get an eager Apple employee that can't start helping you before you hand over registrations, proof that you have bought a Apple Care plan or you get someone whom is at least open for helping you a bit further despite if you have an AppleCare license or not.

There are many improvements I can think of when it comes to services from Apple. But, also fair, I must state that Apple does provide free courses for beginners, for using the iMac towards a base knowledge about video editing or dealing with pages. For that I do applause.

mizbettyboop

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
We can only talk about facts. Until anyone comes up with a case we have nothing to talk about.
In fact Apple had two kinds of warranty troubles in the EU:

1) In 2010 they were forced to honor EU mandated warranties across the whole EU region (across-borders). So if someone purchases the product in one EU country, Apple has to provide warranty for it in another EU country as well.

2) This year they are sued because they haven't informed customers clearly enough about the difference between different warranty options.

Where does it say it has to be purchased in the EU? On Apple's website it states:

Additional Legal Rights for Consumers
"For consumers, who are covered by consumer protection laws or regulations in their country of purchase or, if different, their country of residence, the benefits conferred by Apple's One Year Limited Warranty are in addition to all rights and remedies conveyed by such consumer protection laws and regulations, including but not limited to these additional rights.
For further information on rights provided by consumer law, purchase in Europe?

I bought my iphone while on holiday because my other phone wasn't working. However I was and still am an EU citizen. Based on the above I should be covered under the EU law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.