Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Fair enough. So Californians only have to blame themselves lol (well, blame past Californians who voted in favor). This is being discussed over on reddit as well and I thought this was an extremely insightful comment that probably explains it all better than I can.
Oh yes, it was a completely self-inflicted wound. It was a response to older folks on fixed incomes being forced out of their homes due to large increases in property taxes. But the law of unintended consequences kicked in, leading to many negative impacts, including the gradual, but precipitous, decline in the quality of education, since local schools were largely funded by property taxes.

Prop 13, along with the “three-strikes” law (heavily modified now) did great and lasting damage to California. Voter initiatives are a double-edged sword.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Yep. Where I am near Palo Alto, $1000 a month is what it costs for a room on Craigslist. At least. Not so in a place like Fresno.
Naaa the land use in the bay area is irresponsible and inefficient. Thats the problem. NYC has a fraction of the space and similarly challenging geography but they dont make excuses they make it work and it holds 2x+ more people than all of the bay area combined. So...

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Not all homeless people are "junkies," as you said, and it's hugely misleading to say so.

Plus that video appears to focus on a group of unsheltered, and it's important to know that there's a distinction between "homeless" and the "unsheltered." Many people with poor housing stability might get evicted from an apartment and spend some time crashing on a friend or relative's couch, or living out of their car, or occasionally spending a night in a shelter before getting back on their feet.

The unsheltered are what most people think of as "homeless," these are the ones in the streets because they have nowhere else to go, and they are a minority of the truly homeless.

Not all, but most. Like I said, in my previous post. If people can't afford to live in California. They would move somewhere else. But most of them decided to stay because of moving to another city they would need to find new drug dealers.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA

View attachment 875004
ok, all I am saying is the title was a bit misleading. I've lived in various parts of San Diego County my whole life and there is definitely a housing shortage here. Thanks for the cute graph though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.