Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernclimate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I'm trying to get my iPad to output slideshow/videos/Youtube/anything to my older TV using Apple component cables. The TV image appears scrambled/vertically mirrored for a millisecond or so and then nothing. Audio is perfect. Have tried various cable connection & source input selections on the tv but without luck. When connected to the 30 pin dock connector (to tv) videos don't display on the iPad although the progress bar does advance. Maybe this is the way it's supposed to work? It differs to photo slideshows which CAN be viewed on the connected iPad. Don't want to pay for expensive composite cables unless there's a good chance that they'll work. Is there something I'm missing? Have searched forums but no answers have worked as yet. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

thanks.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Hmmm, no personal experience on this one, but have you made sure that you're on NTSC or PAL, whichever is appropriate for your location? And if it's an older TV, is widescreen enabled in settings or turned off?

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
I bought a cheapo 30 pin AV connecter cable figuring I had plenty of legacy devices that would only accept a composite video input. Hooking this cable up to my 3Gs iPhone resulted in the same problem you are experiencing. When I put a movie on my old school iPod (5th gen video), the cable worked like a charm. I believe the newer iDevices are set up with an output system that will only work with Apple branded cables. If your cable is an Apple product designed for the iDevice to which it is connected, back to the store with the cable....:eek:

northernclimate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Thanks for the replies gatearray and TJRiver. The iPad is set to NTSC and both widescreen off and on aren't working. The cables are Apple component bought just over a month ago from an Apple rep. who was making an appearance at our local Best Buy store. I'd asked him which cables would work (without detailing that the tv's maybe 7 or 8 years old) and was told that these would. I don't know...

1herm4matrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for the replies gatearray and TJRiver. The iPad is set to NTSC and both widescreen off and on aren't working. The cables are Apple component bought just over a month ago from an Apple rep. who was making an appearance at our local Best Buy store. I'd asked him which cables would work (without detailing that the tv's maybe 7 or 8 years old) and was told that these would. I don't know...

Some older tvs' like Mitsubishi have component inputs but are lable as 420/720/1080i. Try using a diffent input in the back.

northernclimate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
there are 2 sets of Component video jacks on the tv back. Have tried Video 2 group and eventually Video 1 group but same results. Don't believe that after all the connections & reconnections that the component jacks to tv input configuration on these groups is the problem but?...there are composite jacks on the front of the tv that the kids use for DVD and the Wii.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.