Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Hi all,

Is it possible to use Apple Configurator 2 on an iPad that is already enrolled in an MDM program?

I'm working on a project which requires the iPads I'm working with to have additional restrictions beyond what my standard company deployment is. However, I don't have anything to do with the device/mdm team so it's extremely difficult (and long winded) to get these as part of a new MDM profile.

In the grand scheme, my project involves a miniscule amount of iPads compared to what are deployed across the company and with how they are being used means they have to stay under the remit of my team rather than the usual device team - so having to manually configure the iPads isn't an issue at this stage. However, all company iPads must get the standard MDM config applied which is why I'm asking if I can use AC2 with these iPads?

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I think it depends on how the device is enrolled in the MDM and what changes you want to make to iPad. However, I am fairly certain that, if you want to add any profiles to the device, you will need the Supervision Identity from the MDM server and add it to the Mac that you are using AC2 on. That is, of course, assuming your MDM is supervising the devices on enrollment (which is should if setup correctly.) Otherwise, the iPad will not be manageable through AC2.

Last edited:
Reactions: biohead
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.