Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
lol Americans don't want to work manual labor.

We trained our labor force to work office jobs, which means work-from-home jobs now.
Right which is why there’s no domestic auto manufacturing, oh wait…
It's true that the U.S. has auto manufacturing, but it's also true that fewer and fewer Americans want to take factory/manufacturing jobs. So mozumder's point still stands.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Diversifying is good. In case China goes all in on Taiwan, Apple will not be hurt too much after the possible sanction regime. As well as it is good for Indonesians, more workplaces means prosperity for all
If China goes "all in on Taiwan" , having the latest and greatest iPhone will be the least of our worries.

Reactions: picpicmac

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Right which is why there’s no domestic auto manufacturing, oh wait…
Which is Government subsidised. You would like the government to pay Apple large sums to manufacture in the U.S. like they do with the Auto industry?

haunebu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
California
They ran out of slave labor and need to find more. Just one more reason why Tim Cook has to go.

Wasn't all that long ago you could find a Mac Pro that was Made in USA. But Tim Cook's Apple would rather exploit desperately poor people halfway around the world than pay Americans a decent wage to do the same thing. Gross.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Indonesia is 7th largest economy if you consider the real GDP(purchasing power parity). Indonesia is much cheaper to live. There is a reason, highly regulated EU countries fall further down in real GDP. Is US willing to find a middle ground and be flexible. Can it reform itself to bring costs down? Look at the list, EU ranks pretty poorly in real GDP terms.

Why does the U.S. need to reform itself when it's ranked #2 in terms of real GDP? It's higher than Indonesia. :confused: 🤔

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
They ran out of slave labor and need to find more. Just one more reason why Tim Cook has to go.

Wasn't all that long ago you could find a Mac Pro that was Made in USA. But Tim Cook's Apple would rather exploit desperately poor people halfway around the world than pay Americans a decent wage to do the same thing. Gross.
What slave labor? The one who works all his life to pay mortgages? Stop paying mortgage for couple months, see what happens. Or guys who work hard for 5-10 years, save money and buys land in his home town, and lives on his own for rest of his life. Many of the so called slave labor quit when Foxconn cut their Over time hours. Those guys want to make money quickly and go back to their villages. You see same in India, Vietnam and other countries.
People in the west on their high horse lecturing the world to be lazy, and live pay check to pay check.There are cases where people are exploited and that need to stop.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Why does the U.S. need to reform itself when it's ranked #2 in terms of real GDP? It's higher than Indonesia.
It is going to fall fast like EU, if the trend continues. There is something called as trend, reform and go up/maintain or fall fast.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Its inevitable… they need cheap labor for the workforce regarding manufacturing. As each country they manufacture in develops and matures its economy.. they move along to the next one in line.

Theycanonly bring so much manufacturing back to the west… manufacturing in the west requires either massive automation/minimal workforce or extremely high margins.. or a combination of the two.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

Will you be voting with your wallet and purchase your phones and computers from Samsung and other Apple competitors?

FineWoven

Suspended
Sep 18, 2023
I know the ideal is for Apple to move to the United States, but from a cost standpoint, that is highly unlikely. But wouldn't Mexico make more sense?
Yes I would think so. Many are unaware how quickly Mexico is becoming a major player in manufacturing. Based on what I've heard so far, I would not be surprised if they became essentially the China of the west by 2035 or 2040.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This is somewhat ironic because Apple's current presence in Indonesia is an absolute embarrassment.

They have no direct hardware sales, and the local Apple resellers that exist are poor at best. They more often than not sell hardware that's one or more versions behind current, current-generation hardware takes a long time to show up in stock and when it eventually does the prices are usually a huge markup (that last part, admittedly, may be due to Indonesia's protective tariffs). Plus the in-store shopping experience is, from what I hear, not at all good.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
This is somewhat ironic because Apple's current presence in Indonesia is an absolute embarrassment.

They have no direct hardware sales, and the local Apple resellers that exist are poor at best. They more often than not sell hardware that's one or more versions behind current, current-generation hardware takes a long time to show up in stock and when it eventually does the prices are usually a huge markup (that last part, admittedly, may be due to Indonesia's protective tariffs). Plus the in-store shopping experience is, from what I hear, not at all good.
It’s more of a tariff issue, carrot and stick approach for the countries. Same issue when China started(Not Apple in china, but manufacturing), and India too. Want lower tariffs? Start manufacturing and you have access to our markets. Open up stores, sell it with lower or no tariffs.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Will you be voting with your wallet and purchase your phones and computers from Samsung and other Apple competitors?
Pretty much every one does the same. If US is serious about manufacturing, first build the components like chips, RAM, Storage, Cameras and so on. Assembly is final step.

FineWoven

Suspended
Sep 18, 2023
Good. Idc really where they expand their manufacturing operations so as long as they work towards getting the hell out of China. I want to see that country squeezed to the point they can no longer get away with their ruthless tactics they use (or seem poised to use) on their neighbors and their own citizens alike.

haunebu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
California
People are already delaying their iPhone replacements for 2-3 years, sometimes longer, primarily because of cost and the lack of innovation in the space. My iPhone 12 Pro looks and works exactly like my iPhone 15 Pro, for example. Was it worth the upgrade cost for most people? Not really, but I happen to have the resources and wanted to be able to record spatial video. Most people don't care about that feature at all.

But a lot of people do look at the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, or the Flip & Fold devices, which have genuinely innovative hardware and software features... and think about switching. You'll note that IDC just reported Apple lost the top smartphone manufacturing spot to Samsung on Monday this week. So, yes, it people are looking elsewhere now and the data shows it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
People are already delaying their iPhone replacements for 2-3 years, sometimes longer, primarily because of cost and the lack of innovation in the space. My iPhone 12 Pro looks and works exactly like my iPhone 15 Pro, for example. Was it worth the upgrade cost for most people? Not really, but I happen to have the resources and wanted to be able to record spatial video. Most people don't care about that feature at all.

But a lot of people do look at the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, or the Flip & Fold devices, which have genuinely innovative hardware and software features... and think about switching. You'll note that IDC just reported Apple lost the top smartphone manufacturing spot to Samsung on Monday this week. So, yes, it people are looking elsewhere now and the data shows it.

But how about YOU? Will you be switching due to the "genuinely innovative hardware and software features?"

Regarding the iPhone 12 Pro and 15 Pro... Exactly like? Going to a 15 ProMax was a huge improvement for me. Especially regarding cameras and being a photographer. Better image quality, options, and no more annoying flare.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It's true that the U.S. has auto manufacturing, but it's also true that fewer and fewer Americans want to take factory/manufacturing jobs. So mozumder's point still stands.

They don’t want those jobs because they don’t pay enough. It’s not the labor that’s the problem. It’s the pay.

And as far as Apple chasing cheap labor goes, it’s a futile game that many companies are playing. But as these other nations become more affluent and their populations demand better working conditions and higher wages… you get the picture.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
But how about YOU? Will you be switching due to the "genuinely innovative hardware and software features?"

Regarding the iPhone 12 Pro and 15 Pro... Exactly like? Going to a 15 ProMax was a huge improvement for me. Especially regarding cameras and being a photographer. Better image quality, options, and no more annoying flare.

Why work so hard to make it personal? Who cares if he personally switches or not? His points are valid regardless of what he does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.