Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
This is an issue I've noticed for months and I've never been able to find a solution...

For years, I've used Apple Contacts, formerly known as Address Book. It worked for me for years, but it suddenly stopped.

I can open Contacts. It shows me that my database is there. But I cannot look at individual records. If I click on a name, nothing happens. I have no idea why.

What can I do?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
If you click on "all" contacts at the top - it should tell you how many contacts you have in your list? Scroll to bottom of column

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Might help to know which version of MacOS in use and if have Contacts turned on in iCloud. Or if contacts syncing with Google, Exchange, etc.

Something to try to see if database is not corrupt: select a contact, then Contacts > Edit > Select All. Now, Contacts > File > Export > Export vCard. Save to where ever. Now, you can pull up the .vcf file via text viewing tool of choice, and scroll through it, see if everything seems like it's there. If looks ok, can try to delete all the contacts, then import the .vcf file to re-create all the contacts: MIGHT clear some things.

But if some issue at the OS level, might want/need to re-install OS and restore things.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Currently, my iMac is running MacOS 10.12.6. Contacts is v. 10.0.

I do not have iCloud enabled. All contacts should be on my iMac only.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Installed some "skinning" program to change look of UI? Can see that messing things up.

Malware causing issues? Download/install Malwarebytes to see if something.

Otherwise, maybe something corrupt with the install and need to re-install, as I have never seen or heard of this happening.

ADD: messing around with fonts or font colors?

Last edited:

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
You might have to do a Time Machine restore of the contacts file from a few weeks back. I am not sure of the name and location of the file but others on this forum might help.
As noted above, Contacts has a File/Export/archive function that is worth running regularly for a local backup of your data (in addition to Time Machine).

Update: This might help - but backup first:
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10581

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.