Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During Apple's keynote announcement, the company announced plans to provide U2's new album, "Songs of Innocence," to all iTunes customers for free. Rather than letting customers choose to download the album on their own, however, Apple pushed it to iTunes accounts, causing some devices to automatically download the album without explicit user permission.

The move upset users who did not want to have U2's album listed on their devices, which has now prompted Apple to create a process for removing the album from user's devices. According to Apple spokesperson Tom Neumayr, who gave a statement to Re/code, customers were asking Apple how to delete the album after it was distributed, which has led Apple to create both a tool and a support document that outlines the process for removing the album from iCloud.

u2albumremoval.jpg
Here's Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr's explanation: "Some customers asked for the ability to delete 'Songs of Innocence' from their library, so we set up http://www.itunes.com/soi-remove to let them easily do so. Any customer that needs additional help should contact AppleCare."
To remove the U2 album, users are directed to Apple's new removal tool that will automatically remove the U2 album from an account after signing in with an Apple ID and password.

Apple warns that once the album has been removed from an iTunes account that it will no longer be available as a previously purchased album. Users have until October 13, 2014 to manually reinstall the album for free.

Article Link: Apple Creates Tool for Users to Delete Unwanted U2 Album

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I like U2 but realize that people don't want stuff forced down their throats. I guess this tool decreased the support call time.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I don't understand how Apple could have thought this was going to work?

A lot of people didn't understand that it hadn't been downloaded to their device but equally how did Apple think that U2 was a universally liked sound?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It would be more useful to be able to delete purchases permanently from the purchase history. Like apps that you downloaded to try them and they were rubbish, songs that someone downloaded when they were twelve and now don't want anybody to know about, and so on.

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
Just wait... the largest album rollout ever becomes the most deleted album ever. (I'm actually a U2 fan, though so I'll keep my copy.)

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Now why can't they just do this for everything you purchase?

Oh, I'd love that for some apps I've downloaded.

I can imagine some people who would love some dating apps to disappear from their account after they've found someone to be with. LOL.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
So this tool means you can't get it for free in the future?

Why not just 'hide purchase'. That's what I did
Open itunes > ITUNES STORE> 'Quick Links' PURCHASES> choose item and click the X on the right. VOILA!

Though now i come to think of it, could this app be hacked to wipe all of U2's music from existence?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Wow. People are really this ungrateful.

ungrateful?

although not charged we are paying for it (like everything) and you find it objectionable if people want to delete it from their library?

but one thing is for sure it must have been considerably more than "some customers"

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Wow. People are really this ungrateful.

People buying expensive devices which are by their nature locked down with minimal user customization (Apple vs Android argument) would rather not have anything they don't want forced upon them. If, like many people, you dislike U2 I'd almost find that reason enough to purchase another brand on principal. Apple should actually offer this option for many apps they force us to have as well.

Nothing to do with being grateful - I could offer Bono a free kick in the groin but I doubt he'd be happy when I delivered it.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
The album is so terrible it should be considered malware.

Actually, I think it is pretty great!

I don't understand how Apple could have thought this was going to work?

A lot of people didn't understand that it hadn't been downloaded to their device but equally how did Apple think that U2 was a universally liked sound?

It is a FREE album that takes up virtually ZERO space on your device. Apple over estimated the intelligence and sanity of some of it's customers.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Ungrateful? No one asked for the album. What if it was some country music or rap or something you don't like. :rolleyes:

As someone who doesn't really care about U2, I don't really understand the fuss tbh. I think people are just making a stink because they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.