Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosco 5577

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
Hi. I had an iPhone 8 plus is great condition. I took it in for a battery repair and they told me to wait an hour. I went back and they told me that during the repair the Wi-Fi module was damaged but they were not sure if it was their error or if it was broken when I dropped it off. They gave me another iPhone 8 plus. I examined my old phone and the Wi-Fi symbol was on and working fine. My question is why didn't they just replace the Wi-Fi module, he said they couldn't because it was built into the enclosure of the phone. I know I should complain because I got a refurbished phone but I still don't trust refurbs.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Apple's refurbs are consistently known to be very good quality. I've owned many refurb Macs (from Apple's online store) and they've been like-new when I've received them.

I wouldn't worry about receiving a refurb, it's basically a new phone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
WiFi module repair/replacement is more than Apple is willing to do in store so they give you a refurbished device. I wouldn't complain as any 3rd party or self repair would of left you with damaged wifi and done nothing for you. They must of been convinced it would have wifi issues because they don't replace the device when they don't need to..

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone is mostly unrepairable even for the repair techs in the store. There’s so much they won’t or can’t repair.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
I would trust a refurb product more than something fresh off the line. They are generally gone over with a fine toothed comb, as opposed to an occasional fresh unit being pulled for QA while 10 others are ignored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.