Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid rising COVID cases across the United States, Apple will not increase the number of days that its corporate employees are required to be in the office, reports Bloomberg.

apple-park-sunset.jpg

Apple planned to have employees return to the office three days a week on May 23, but that target date is now being delayed. Right now, Apple employees are required to be in the office twice per week, and Apple plans to stick to that schedule for the foreseeable future.

Employees who are in the office will be required to wear masks in common areas to limit the spread of the virus.

Corporate Apple employees in the United States began returning to in person work on Monday, April 11. Apple started with a one day per week in-office requirement, and on May 2, started requiring employees to be in the office two days per week.

There is no word on when Apple plans to shift to the three day per week schedule, but when that happens, employees will be required to be in the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, with most able to work remotely on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Article Link: Apple Delays Plans for Return to Office Three Days a Week, Masks Required in Common Areas Amid Rising COVID Cases

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
2 days a week is more than enough to schedule meetings and workshops.

Apple's 'Monday, Tuesday and Thursday' routine seems to be designed to force people to live nearby. If it has to be 3 days at least make it e.g. Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

Honestly it's as if firms want to impose misery on workers.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I see this more as a backtracking of their forced return to office policy in light of workers being unhappy.

COVID is here to stay, and cases will go up and down, but it's not like they are surging anywhere near where they were prior to a vaccine being widely available.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Just give it up. The days of everyone being in the office multiple times a week are over. You made a bad investment in commercial real estate. Deal with it.

Not just apple, companies everywhere. Maybe build more homes and residential buildings instead of large pointless offices.

I work in tech. I've gotten a dozen interview offers in the last 3 months. Not a single company is requiring being in an office at all.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I see this more as a backtracking of their forced return to office policy in light of workers being unhappy.

COVID is here to stay, and cases will go up and down, but it's not like they are surging anywhere near where they were prior to a vaccine being widely available.
Cases in California were at record highs this past winter and that's after the vaccine was available. But like you said, covid is here to stay.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Cases in California were at record highs this past winter and that's after the vaccine was available. But like you said, covid is here to stay.
That's true. But wasn't that because most people didn't get a booster and Omicron started circulating? In all fairness, while vaccines have been widely available for about a year now, there was a lot of apprehension and I'd guess we didn't have more complete "coverage" until recent months.

Reactions: georgios.cc

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Let's hope Apple keeps it at 2 days a week. Unlike software only companies, there are a hardware company and have a lot of tech people work on devices that cannot (or should not) leave the premise. My friends that work at hardware and networking companies have the same issue and seem to be settling into a 2-3 day/week in office.

FWIW, it is obvious that today (Tuesday) is a work in the office day for many. The traffic was much higher today with the associated gridlock.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
This should be an interesting comment section. Personally, be responsible for your own health. If you want to wear a mask, go for it. If you don’t, you do you. Follow the guidelines of your particular company.
This is bad advice. For everyone. Companies have a bad track record for protecting public health. They shouldn't have a say in it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

I cannot use a mask for more than 30 minutes. I’d be very unhappy if I am forced in the office and forced to wear a mask in common areas.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
That's true. But wasn't that because most people didn't get a booster and Omicron started circulating? In all fairness, while vaccines have been widely available for about a year now, there was a lot of apprehension and I'd guess we didn't have more complete "coverage" until recent months.
Only somewhat because of the lack of boosters. The latest Omicron strain is very transmissible, approaching measles which is the most transmissible common virus. Also, as the virus continues to circulate it continues to mutate, potentially into variants that are not prevented by the current vaccines.

Hopefully exposure to the virus variants will give a lot of people immunity with minimal symptoms. And this will result in the virus fading as there are fewer and fewer people without immunity from vaccination and/or exposure.

Reactions: cjgrif and castlema

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Even in European countries with 90% vaccine coverage in >16s cases were at an all time high in late 2021/early 2022. The initial claimed efficacy in reducing transmission was clearly not true - at least not in any of the variants circulating by that time.

In my country we've been working mostly in office since late 2020. No masks. 60% of our small office got Covid at some point (mostly external) - everyone is/was vaccinated.

Thankfully the CFR is way down in every region.

At this stage masks is equivalent to TSA security theatre - unless N95 and strictly no mask removal (even for eating.)

NB I am vaccinated and caught it - from a friend during a 15min lunch break.

I firmly believe in the importance of FtF meetings for engineering design work - yes - sometimes working at home is great - but a few days a week in office seems to be necessary for an efficient workflow.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
One's personal feelings about COVID aside... The apple culture is built (and has always functioned) on human collaboration hence the building of the spaceship Apple Park with the common areas in the middle and throughout. Virtual interaction is not the same as face-to-face. If employees don't return to the in-person office, the company culture will suffer irreversible damage, and by extension, the products will get worse and worse.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It's a new era now - the era of working from home. Apple needs to stop kicking and screaming as it is dragged into this new era. One of the biggest new benefits that companies are offering now to stay competitive is WFH. And it's not even a covid thing anymore. People got a taste of WFH, it worked for many employees and employers, and now employees now consider that in accepting a job or not.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm not sure how long this is going to go on?

Why is it so hard for people to report to work in campus?
Is it necessary or desirable for everyone to be on campus 5 days a week? Everyone in tech has the facilities to do some level of their work from home. And fewer people commuting means less pollution, less need for gas and parking, etc.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Just give it up. The days of everyone being in the office multiple times a week are over. You made a bad investment in commercial real estate. Deal with it.

Not just apple, companies everywhere. Maybe build more homes and residential buildings instead of large pointless offices.

I work in tech. I've gotten a dozen interview offers in the last 3 months. Not a single company is requiring being in an office at all.

100% agree

Maybe Apple should start re-tooling Apple Park to be an incredible community to live in -- it might become highly desirable to work and live at Apple

Reactions: surfzen21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.