Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
I have this very old camera app Luma (downloaded it with iOS 6), which has numerous recordings stored in it but as of iOS 8 have been inaccessible. I want to save these files to my Mac if possible, and delete them from the app to free up storage.

The problem is - as the app is no longer supported after having been sold to Instagram circa iOS 7 - the app crashes in iOS 9 when trying to open its gallery (necessary to export from gallery to the camera roll to save to computer), and in
iBrowse, the files that still are in the app are invisible and nonextractable.

iBrowse screen capture shows no visible files

iBrowse.png

Screen capture shows files in gallery (taking up space), immediately before crashing

Luma.png

Luma crashing when trying to access its gallery

Is it possible with any Apple Developer tools or XCode, for example, to force-extract from the phone the [invisible] files? Or is this a lost cause and I should delete the app?

Last edited:

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Back up the phone using iTunes. Make sure the backup is NOT encrypted.

Then, use iExplorer to browse the backup and find the app's folder, and then your files.

You’re awesome. It’s a success!

iExplorer.png

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
I'm so glad this worked! Part of my day job is storage management, backup and recovery. I love helping people get their lost stuff back. :)

I wouldn’t have ever thought about/figured out the iTunes backup then to use iExplorer. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.