Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
well it would kill resale prices of g4's and g3's ibooks
i frankly dont think it wil happen
i dont think apple can afford to make sell an ibook that will only earn them a small gain

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
LoopRumors has information that Apple has been developing a stripped down iBook model geared for low-end users. Whether the new machine will have an Intel processor or remain PowerPC is unclear. The price of the laptop is aimed to compete with sub $500 notebooks such as Dell's Inspiron B120.

Stripped down! Didn't think it could be.

Some saving perhaps:-

1xUSB Port
NO ethernet
56K Modem (low-end market right?)
No Wireless/or Bluetooth cards included
CD-Rom only drive

Nah, that's a really gash laptop and wouldn't compete with the Dell model mentioned.

Perhaps it's the current iBook G4, but heavily reduced in price - as rumoured because of the introduction of Intel machines?

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
doucy2 said:
well it would kill resale prices of g4's and g3's ibooks
i frankly dont think it wil happen
i dont think apple can afford to make sell an ibook that will only earn them a small gain

I don't think this will happen either, but not becauseof resale values. I don't thinnk Aple cares if their new machines negatively impact resale values of old/used machines.

jholzner said:
That's what Looprumors.com is saying.

Would be a nice companion to the Mac mini. Wonder what the specs would be.

http://looprumors.com/

yes, it will be just like the mini - bring your own keyboard, trackpad & screen! :D

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
m-dogg said:
I don't think this will happen either, but not becauseof resale values. I don't thinnk Aple cares if their new machines negatively impact resale values of old/used machines.
Right. They're in the business to make money, not to make owners of their computers money. That is, unless they're stock holders.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Danksi said:
Stripped down! Didn't think it could be.

Some saving perhaps:-

1xUSB Port
NO ethernet
56K Modem (low-end market right?)
No Wireless/or Bluetooth cards included
CD-Rom only drive

Nah, that's a really gash laptop and wouldn't compete with the Dell model mentioned.

Perhaps it's the current iBook G4, but heavily reduced in price - as rumoured because of the introduction of Intel machines?

Which would make it an Ebook, of sorts, but Ethernet is almost free now though wireless networking isn't.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Well if they do introduce something like this my guess is that it's going to have specs like this:

12" Screen
1ghz G4
2x USB 2.0 Port
56K Modem
DVD-ROM drive
Ethernet
256MB RAM
16MB Video Card

That looks like it would be around $500 right? You're getting rid of the combodrive, the firewire ports and display inputs, cutting down the ram and VRAM. sounds reasonable

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Has anything looprumors posted come to fruition? That being said, I would never say never with Apple these days.

No 2 button mouse.
No sub $500 Mac.
No video on iPod.

If they can build it and sell it profitably, they will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.