Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhns

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003
Germany
chaos86 said:
Archimedes, daVinci (already a PDA brand of Royal), Einstein (an open source Newton emulator project), Hawking, Laplace, Gauss, Penrose, Klitzing, Feynman - nothing that fits well to "i"

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
asdf123 said:
how do you figure....like the eMate?

The Newton was a PDA...sized. Not larger than the 12 powerbook. Come'on.\=
You ever use one? The MP2100 was thicker then the Tibook and nearly as big as the 12 inch PB. The eMate was actually BIGGER then the 12 in PB.

wisof

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
I have a Sony Clie PEG NR70v/u . . . the kind that had the mini keyboard and a camera . . . not the most recent clie with bluetooth and wifi. I have to say, the only thing I want in addition to what my clie gives me would be more hard drive (or the existence of one!) and wifi/blue tooth capabilities. I rarely use the keyboard, but it does come in handy when necessary.

I personally would love that Sony continue their clie line, but I believe they have been discontinued.

That being said, where will the capabilities for the iPod stop? Do you think Apple will just stop updating the iPod if users want more features? I feel that the iPod is just a stepping stone for something else in a similar form factor but with many more features. Already they are working on wifi or bluetooth for the iPod, and there are "palmtop" features already on the iPod OS like address/date book, and minimal games. they just need to step up to the plate and make an os that can support more features. And then they need to give the ipod more ports.

A pocket mini that you can travell with like an iPod, but that can be also hooked into a display, keyboard, and mouse.

I have seen a device similar to this that is a box about the size of an iPod, but is a full flegged comp. Nothing too fast, but it is getting closer to what some people want . . .

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
no, the ipod will reamin a portable media serving device (music, photos), with 5 buttons and extremely limited content editing (now only on-the-go playlists). if apple makes something PDAish it will be a pda, a new device.

anyway, the pda is dead. if we have a 1 inch thick computer to carry, a full size computer for hard work, and a tiny portable to serve media content to us, what place does a pda have in between?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
pda's aren't dead. many people use them (medics for one).

the all singing all dancing pda is dead tho. once you loaded the thing with stuff you don't need then you may as well have a laptop, i agree.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I use a PDA heavily. Recently changed to a Palm M505. I carry it everywhere. It's thin enough to fit in my shirt pocket, and weighs next to nothing. I take notes and update data constantly. I'm aware that that's an older model, but a PDA must be super-reliable, and from what I hear Palm's Tungstens are not reliable (and the Zires are too thick and heavy).

People who say the 12" powerbook is small enough really make me wonder. Do you take it shopping? Do you open it in the bread aisle to check the prices, or jot them down? Do you glance at it while driving to check the directions? Most people would admit it's much too large for a use-everywhere portable.

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Yeah,a Tablet Mac wouldn't be so bad, except I seriously doubt that Apple would develop one considering how other manufacturers have done with their tablet computers.

macux

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
When has Apple followed the herd?

Mac Dummy said:
Yeah,a Tablet Mac wouldn't be so bad, except I seriously doubt that Apple would develop one considering how other manufacturers have done with their tablet computers.

How many mp3 players were out competing with each other and failing to survive before the ipod took over the market? Do you really think that just because windows tablets are poor products and don't sell well that a mac tablet would fail? If they take the time and do it right we might be in for another revolution.

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
PDAs are not dead!!!!

I wonder why so many people on this forum keep saying PDAs are dead?? Far from it! I work in the IT department for a Fortune 500 financial/insurance institution. ALL of the field reps use Palms. In fact, any of my friends in sales positions, realestate, etc. all use Palms.

I have both a Treo650 and a Zaurus SL-C760. I agree smartphones are very cool and takes the place of the handheld many times... but try taking a Treo650 out to the bar, concert, etc. It's too big, too fragile, too tempting to steal.

In many ways I wish I could go back to having a decent bluetooth cellphone and my bluetooth PDA. I had the SE T610 with T-Mobile and unlimited data. It was great except the coverage stunk. No other cell company has anything like T-Zones unlimited data unless you are willing to pay almost $80/mo! Anyway, it was great to have a phone with a decent set of PIM apps, that easily fit in my pockets. When I need more, I just popped out the Z... if I didn't need it, it stayed home. With a smartphone, you are stuck carrying it everywhere unless you decide you don't need a phone at all.

dhns posted a great link earlier in this thread to http://www.applele.com. If Apple comes out with a sub-notebook, here's what it should look like:

http://www.applele.com/picture_a_hibook_r08a.html

I currently have a 12" Powerbook. It's great, but still WAY TOO BIG. If I need a big screen, I'll use my iMac. The whole reason to have a small laptop is PORTABILITY. I would gladly ditch my 12" PB, for a smaller subnotebook if it had similar specs (Superdrive, 1GB RAM, G4-1.33GHz). I also wish they'd use Sony's screens. My officemate has a 13.3" Sony laptop and its screen makes mine look like CRAP!

I'd also like to see Apple come up with a cool PDA... something that'll replace my Treo650, Zaurus, and iPod-mini. Like a posted earlier, something like a Moto A630 with a memory slot, wider internal screen, OS X lite, and mini: iTunes, iCal, AddressBook, and Quicktime would be perfect! With something like that, I could have a decent cell phone with great PIMs that seamlessly sync with my iMac, enough capacity to play 1000 or so songs, bluetooth, and an OS that would allow me to add 3rd party apps like pssh.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Chaszmyr said:
Seems highly unlikely... I think the time for those devices has come and gone, and won't return any time soon.

I would buy one, especially if it was tightly integrated with my PowerBook - dock and merge. I have a Handspring Visor Deluxe (PalmOS) but would replace it with the right handheld. The ideal machine will have (at least!):

MacPalmOS (stripped down MacOSX) so most applications supported and there can thus be great programmer support since you can develope for the iPalm or iBook or PowerBook or PowerMac and everything runs across the platform at what ever capability the hardware has.

MP3 + Recorder (Voice mic built in + Microphone line-in) - gotta have tunes!

Wi-Fi - of course.

Cellphone + 2.4GHz phone which works with Airports for internet calling. Since it's got Wi-Fi it could form local area networks and operate as a radio phone too. Useful on hikes or when working on the farm or fields.

Strong support for essencial apps like: iTunes, Addressbook, Safari, Mail, jNotes (Common Apple, Hire that guy!), iCal, iSpreadsheet, iWord, Preview, Calculator, WeatherMan, iData(base), etc. Strong merging support with desktop PowerMacs, iBooks and PowerBooks as well as iPalm to iPalm.

The screen needs to be ultra readable in bright sunlight, office conditions and in bedroom or the dark. It should be as easy to read as a small paperback book and folds to half that size for slipping in your pocket. This could be the eBook type machine that keeps getting reinvented. There are now a lot of great public domain books out there. This could spur a new must have application and industry making electronic publishing really take off.

It needs fantastic battery life. SolarSkin perhaps? Shake and charge? Induction charging? Recharge with USB/FW too. One thing to achieve the great battery life that Apple could do is have the processor crank _down_ in many steps so that it can dynamically adjust to the needs of the user. You don't need 1GHz to enter an email, lookup an addressread a novel or browse most web pages. A palm version doesn't need the high speed of the G5, nor its heat and power problems. The palm should also shut off higher power components to conserve battery. GPS and Wi-Fi could be shut down when not in use to save power just like spinning down the harddrive or dimming the screen.

It should work with wireless keyboards and mice. It should be able to be a tablet for another Mac.

No CD-ROM or DVD drive is necessary. Any movies or music is downloaded. Same for OS upgrades. Media is merely a medium.

Added bonus, snap two or more together and they join processors and displays forming a larger, more powerful unit. Place them next to your PowerMac, PowerBook or iBook and it merges with the bigger machine becoming a backedup resource of added storage, processing and display.

Infrared port for using it as a programmable remote with TV, VCR, DVD, stereo, etc. Open your garage door too? :)

DVD display of a stored movie would be cool if there is enough processing power.

Ideally I would like field replaceable standard batteries but if it had a SolarSkin and was water tight that would be even better.

It should be very small when folded. Thick credit card sized? Slip it into a wallet, purse or shirt pocket.

Most of all, it needs to be a real world rugged device. Drop it in the ocean, run it over, etc and it keeps on working. Ideally the case is totally sealed, it is wireless, there are no ports. Induction charging, wireless networking, bluetooth headset, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Built-in GPS and mapping software better than StreetAtlas would be a great extra for the Pro version.

There is lots of market for a really useful handheld device. Is this a PDA? A smart phone? A micro-miniturized Mac? It's all semantics - what matters is capabilities to do useful work. If something like the above comes out I'll buy several (family).

e-freedom

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
Wales
Come back Newton (only much slimmer - and in colour!)

I would love this rumour to be true. I miss my Newton and if something came out with the same size screen but much thinner and in colour, I'd buy it. If you read what the "Which-PDA" type magazines, they eulogise over so-called 'new' facilities that I had many years ago.

I see no reason why iPod software couldn't also be combined :)

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
A slimmer, color Newton would be awesome... esp if they could cram a SuperDrive into it... or at least provide a dock with a Superdrive.

I'd also love something like this with an attachable keyboard that could fold to cover the screen.

It would also need to be wireless (802.11g and Bluetooth 2.0), and have a firewire port and 2 USB 2.0 ports.

While that's a lot of stuff, I see no reason it couldn't be crammed into a formfactor that you suggest.

I think something the size of a Newton, a PDA, and a smartphone would be much more attractive to people than big, bulky 17" laptops. I find my 12" Powerbook to be too large. The whole reason for having a laptop is PORTABILITY... so the smaller the better.

They just need to create Palmtop/PDAs to be more useful than current offerings. My Zaurus is pretty good, but the software is clunky and it needs builtin wireless. A backlit keyboard would also help when it's dark. But with a few upgrades, PDA devices such as the Zaurus or a new Newton could easily replace a laptop.

ccZaphod

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2005
Dallas
WiMax?

WiMax will start being deployed this year. How about a iNews connected Newton/Tablet with always-on connectivity. DIgital newspapers, web access, etc.

Gidman

macrumors member
forget the Palm top, just let me write....

I gotta say, I am just not so interested in a palm top mac. I would however, and I may be in the minority here, love to be able to transform my 12" PB into a tablet, or just be able to draw on the screen. I know that it is a long shot, but it just seems so obvious to me.

Anyway, my two cents.

Gideon

macaudiodj

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2004
On the road
I have a treo 650 smart phone which is great, i love it. I have nothing bad to say about it....... except it is a little unstable. I love if apple made a smart phone that was stable than palm os 5.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Gidman said:
I gotta say, I am just not so interested in a palm top mac. I would however, and I may be in the minority here, love to be able to transform my 12" PB into a tablet

Agreed. I would love both.

A tiny palm version for the pocket to replace my aging Handspring Visor Deluxe (buttons don't all work anymore) for calendar, address book, todo lists, notes, books, music, phone (cell+WiFi), basic email and web browsing, dictionary, games, backup of Home, etc.

A tablet version that is for more real work. Hangs on the wall at the desk, in hand in the field, on my lap in bed, at the table, etc.

Both should work with a wireless keyboard (with trackpad) and mouse.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yeah, people really *want* PDAs to be dead, because so many of us have tried them, expecting big things, and then been let down-- Plus PDA advancement has been slow, it's just not an exciting field. But yeah, I expect every Fortune 1000 company has PDAs deployed somewhere... Hell, I know homemakers that use PDAs to keep on schedule. While PDAs are lackluster and in desperate need of an overhaul by Apple, they're certainly not dead, although I do agree that mini-PCs will take over once they reach the PDA size/price. People like to do more, not be restricted by Palm OS.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
paulwhannel said:
Yeah, people really *want* PDAs to be dead, because so many of us have tried them, expecting big things, and then been let down-- Plus PDA advancement has been slow, it's just not an exciting field. But yeah, I expect every Fortune 1000 company has PDAs deployed somewhere... Hell, I know homemakers that use PDAs to keep on schedule. While PDAs are lackluster and in desperate need of an overhaul by Apple, they're certainly not dead, although I do agree that mini-PCs will take over once they reach the PDA size/price. People like to do more, not be restricted by Palm OS.
People want PDA's to be somehing like what cell phones have become with all of their games, ringtones, flashy features and whatnot. Remember back when cell phones were only used for talking? PDA's looked to have the same future as cell phones with all of their possibilities, but to this day, they really only do what they were originally designed to do. It's just not exciting to some people if a product just does what is supposed to do, especially if it's job is not exciting either.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Something I would like to see is the PalmOS run on the Mac like Classic does. I have a Visor Handspring Deluxe that has a lot of software as well as data. I would switch to an ApplePalm in a flash if, amoung other things, it could run all the PalmOS software. There is an emulator for the Palm on the Mac. It is doable. It would be eminently useful.

On the topic of ApplePalm (PDA) vs Tablet vs Notebook - they each have different markets and uses. When I 'm on the road, at the grocery store, in the field, etc I usually want the computer to be tiny. Something I can easily slip in my pocket. The primary function is to access data or run simple programs.

A tablet would be great as a replacement for a notebook if it also had a keyboard. The tablet would be the computer and screen with a clip on wireless keyboard and trackpad (and mouse for those who love them).

Notebooks (tablet + keyboard) are for working at a desk and for us have replaced desktop / tower computers.

Most of all we need robust machines that will last in the field.

salmon

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm seriously hoping for an Apple attempt at a tablet device. The Windows ones generally suck, they missed the concept (as usual for Microsoft). The OQO is interesting in some ways, but approximately triple the acceptable price for me. $500-$1000cdn would be reasonable.

I think a successful tablet would have the following characteristics:
  • 6" to 8" screen: this would of course have to be touch sensitive. Other dimensions should make it similar to a notebook in size (not a laptop, an actual paper notebook). I've heard people dismiss this type of device as beeing "way too big", but people have carried around paper notepads and organizers for years without problems. It might not fit in a pocket, but it would fit conveniently in a briefcase, organizer case, bookbag, purse, etc.
  • long battery life: the longer the better, of course
  • instant on: I like PDAs and their ability to be instantly ready to use, to jot a note or look something up. Laptops are too cumbersome in this regard.
  • usable keyboard: pen based computing only goes so far. But the pen is an essential tool, way better than a mouse for most things.
  • hard drive (maybe an iPod plugin slot?):
  • wifi: web browing, email, etc.
  • ability to annotize documents: sometimes, drawing a little diagram with a pen or scribbling a note is essential to being organized.
  • mp3 playing mode: like the Sony PSP. I carry a backpack when I bike to work, so this would be nice.

I recently gave up waiting for such a device and bought a Palm Tungsten E. It's been fine so far, but I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things, like managing what's on the memory card (can't find a way to delete things?). I also have to get a good movie player for it (any recommendations?) and a utility that allows me to convert movies to a suitable size and format (planning on trying FFMpeg, but haven't got around to it yet -QT Pro is probably nice, but a bit too expensive for what I need).

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Tablet or PDA, one thing Apple could do is dump the CD/DVD drive. It is a hole into the machine thus making it less rugged. It burns more power and is loud. It is highly mechanical and failure prone. All software should be downloadable. Tunes are downloadable. Movies will be downloadable, Real-Soon-Now. CDs and DVDs are just a package for the data and they aren't needed anymore. Apple was couragious enough to dump the floppy drive, now dumpe the CD/DVD drive in lower end machines (iBooks, iTablets, iPalms, etc). You'll notice there is no removeable media drive on the iPod. :)

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
A little fuel to the fire: I e-mailed Skype to ask if and when a Mac-compatible DualPhone was coming out, and their e-mail stated: "We are not planning to make the dualphone Mac compatible, but we will maybe come with something new for Mac users in the autumn. I can't tell you more about it."

Hmmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.