Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
also, if people got wise about how for 199 you can have all the loops offered in the jampacks for garageband, that might be a funky thing. oh well, i guess it had to go. nothing really that good about it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It probably didn't sell well--first it was bundled with Final Cut Pro, and then GarageBand was based on it.

I'm sure a future GarageBand 2 could fill Soundtrack's shoes, or they could just leave it as a component of Final Cut Pro. GB generally does MORE than soundtrack (software loops, etc.) But at present, Soundtrack DOES still have important features. Features for making... soundtracks :) Unlike GB, Soundtrack has a video track, complete with marker support, for composing music to fit the footage or animation.

Soundtrack is probably my favorite Apple app ever--although I could switch to GB just fine I'm sure.

Also, Soundtrack comes with many more loops than GB--and they're not software loops, they're all real recordings. A great collection. Do the GB Jam Packs include all of them? I've always assumed there was SOME overlap at least.

(And vice versa... if I have Soundtrack, how much would I gain by getting the Jam Packs? After all, the Soundtrack loops I already have should work fine in GarageBand--so I already have a Jam Pack of sorts.)

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
nagromme said:
It probably didn't sell well--first it was bundled with Final Cut Pro, and then GarageBand was based on it.

I'm sure a future GarageBand 2 could fill Soundtrack's shoes, or they could just leave it as a component of Final Cut Pro. GB generally does MORE than soundtrack (software loops, etc.) But at present, Soundtrack DOES still have important features. Features for making... soundtracks :) Unlike GB, Soundtrack has a video track, complete with marker support, for composing music to fit the footage or animation.

Soundtrack is probably my favorite Apple app ever--although I could switch to GB just fine I'm sure.

Also, Soundtrack comes with many more loops than GB--and they're not software loops, they're all real recordings. A great collection. Do the GB Jam Packs include all of them? I've always assumed there was SOME overlap at least.

(And vice versa... if I have Soundtrack, how much would I gain by getting the Jam Packs? After all, the Soundtrack loops I already have should work fine in GarageBand--so I already have a Jam Pack of sorts.)
Do they still sell it with the bundled Final Cut Pack? that "in my opinion" is the 4 best apps. Final Cut Pro HD, Soundtrack, Livetype (amazing program) and Compressor.

kyle

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yes--no sign of Final Cut Pro having been altered. Why remove a nice feature of the bundle?

Sountrack is still mentioned in the Final Cut Pro info at Apple.com--and in fact, Soundtrack itself still has its own page at Apple. It's just the store that no longer lists it. So by itself it seems to be gone, but it lives on with Final Cut.

Maybe the next Final Cut will just come with a video-enabled GarageBand variation?

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
I never understood the point of having GarageBand, Soundtrack and Logic in the line-up. But, I've gotta say, I love Soundtrack, bought it by itself and then bought Final Cut Pro later. I've got an extra copy now, if anyone wants it. ;-)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
also, for a pro app, soundtrack is much faster than garage band. you can tell that it was very poorly written. i hope gb2 will be much better in terms of speed. 2.5 more hours... longest of my life

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Well Soundtrack is being bundled with FCPexpress, which makes more sense to me, since Soundtrack was hardly embraced by the pro community, to the aspersions of Logic and BIAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.