Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Epic lost billions already by this stunt by not being on Apple products. Those players left and moved on. Fortnite isn’t as big as it once was.

Epic will fade away
🤣 Epic is doomed. Doomed!

2021 = $28.7 billion valuation
2022 = $31.5 billion valuation
2023 = $32 billion valuation

Epic Games Raised $2 Billion. Its Valuation Rivals Publicly Traded Games Giants.

April 11, 2022

Epic Games said it raised $2 billion in a funding round that including Sony Group and LEGO Group owner Kirkbi as investors. The company, best known for creating the Fortnite game and the Unreal Engine development tool, hit a private valuation of $31.5 billion.

Sony and Kirkbi each invested $1 billion, Epic said. CEO and founder Tim Sweeney still has a controlling stake in the firm, the company said.

Epic announced a $1 billion round that valued the firm at $28.7 billion in April 2021. The higher valuation is a good sign for Epic, given how public markets soured on videogame companies in the past year.

The $31.5 billion figure compares to EA’s recent market capitalization of $34.5 billion and Take-Two Interactive Software ’s recent capitalization of $16.2 billion.

Last edited:

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
Epic lost billions already by this stunt by not being on Apple products. Those players left and moved on. Fortnite isn’t as big as it once was.

Epic will fade away
Care to cite sources? Because a very quick Google search suggests that you are quite wrong.

Further, Apple users were always a fairly small percentage of the total Fortnite revenue; thus, you might reasonably wonder why Epic bothered with these overtly theatrical legal maneuverings at all. My take on that is: mobile platforms represent a small but large and rapidly growing demographic. Epic's objective is and always has been to create a scenario where they could claim even more revenue from that demographic in the long-term, not only by destroying Apple's ability to take their cut of the revenue, but also by destroying Apple's ability to control the distribution of apps to Apple devices (the App Store)... because ultimately, completely wrestling both payment processing and the App Store away from Apple would be the only way for Epic to truly "win" in such a venture.

One person in this thread suggested that Epic should just move on to "Fortnite 2". This seems prescient to me... because if Epic were to succeed in this gambit, you can bet that a Fortnite sequel would only be the tip of the iceberg.

(Edited to present a more accurate representation of the mobile market, per gnipgnop's comment.)

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
My take on that is: mobile platforms represent a small but rapidly growing demographic.
Mobile gaming generates more revenue per year than console and PC gaming combined. That's why Epic is suddenly so concerned about mobile app stores and Apple's rules. That's why Microsoft bought Activision/Blizzard...the only game franchise in that portfolio that generated more money than Call of Duty was the mobile title Candy Crush.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Mobile gaming generates more revenue per year than console and PC gaming combined. That's why Epic is suddenly so concerned about mobile app stores and Apple's rules. That's why Microsoft bought Activision/Blizzard...the only game franchise in that portfolio that generated more money than Call of Duty was the mobile title Candy Crush.
Quite true: I stand corrected. (It does kind'a reinforce my primary point, though.)

2022-data-ai-IDC-gaming-consumer-spend.png

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
🤣 Epic is doomed. Doomed!

2021 = $28.7 billion valuation
2022 = $31.5 billion valuation
2023 = $32 billion valuation

Epic Games Raised $2 Billion. Its Valuation Rivals Publicly Traded Games Giants.

April 11, 2022

Epic Games said it raised $2 billion in a funding round that including Sony Group and LEGO Group owner Kirkbi as investors. The company, best known for creating the Fortnite game and the Unreal Engine development tool, hit a private valuation of $31.5 billion.

Sony and Kirkbi each invested $1 billion, Epic said. CEO and founder Tim Sweeney still has a controlling stake in the firm, the company said.

Epic announced a $1 billion round that valued the firm at $28.7 billion in April 2021. The higher valuation is a good sign for Epic, given how public markets soured on videogame companies in the past year.

The $31.5 billion figure compares to EA’s recent market capitalization of $34.5 billion and Take-Two Interactive Software ’s recent capitalization of $16.2 billion.
What are their gross profits for those years?

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Apple should just buy Epic

Apple should have bought ActiBlizz while it was for sale. I mean, ActiBlizz is about the ONLY company making Mac games so it’d be a good fit.

And Apple would have an in-house game studio. And Apple would have games like Halo was supposed to be (it was originally going to be Mac-only).

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
... And Apple would have games like Halo was supposed to be (it was originally going to be Mac-only).
Not quite true. While it was developed by Bungie, a studio which originally focused on Mac gaming, and it was even announced to the world at a Macworld conference and introduced by Steve Jobs himself, Halo was always intended to be their big break, and planned from the very beginning to be a multi-platform juggernaut. The original build which was shown privately to reporters at E3 in 1999 (under non-disclosure agreement) was actually running on a PC, but naturally they ran it on a Mac for the subsequent Macworld demo later that year.

Of course, most old Macheads know at least part of the story... shortly after that, Microsoft bought Bungie, because they saw the potential and realized that they could most effectively exploit that potential by making it (at least initially) an Xbox exclusive title. That was obviously extremely successful. A Windows port followed, and then a Mac version eventually showed up as well... but it was too-little-too-late, as Macheads had essentially lost all love for Bungie by that point. And of course, there were no Mac ports of the Halo sequels.

The rest, as we all know, is history.

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
I can't see a winning side for epic - either they lose, obviously not a winning side, or even if they win wouldn't this open the door for V-bucks to be purchased in an alternate location/payment method? Do cosmetic stores supporting Fortnite open up elsewhere for use in Fortnite or a 3rd party store within Fortnite?

I'm sure these are all questions the Supreme Court will pose. But I'm curious from any armchair lawyer perspectives if anyone wants a friendly discussion.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Apple probably has insurance, they probably don't have to pay much in legal fees if they win a case.
Apple is most likely self insured. With the size of bullseye on their back, premiums for this kind of liability protection would greatly exceed potential losses. It would make no sense for Apple to insure itself against these kinds of costs.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
The only winners in all of this are Apple's lawyers who are laughing to the bank.

Epic's lawyers will be too while the company sinks.
Apple’s lawyers I’m sure are salaried employees, and Epic’s lawyers are being paid by outside organizations (governments & competing companies). So it’s really just business as usual. 🤮

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Apple’s lawyers I’m sure are salaried employees, and Epic’s lawyers are being paid by outside organizations (governments & competing companies). So it’s really just business as usual. 🤮
You are incorrect on a few accounts.

Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher is representing Apple and Cravath, Swaine & Moore are representing Epic. Both are old line, white shoe firms which have groups specializing in these types of cases. None of them are Apple employees.

You will need to supply some evidence governments are paying part of Epic's legal fees otherwise I will reasonably conclude that is false.

It is not "business as usual" as your comment says.

thays133

Suspended
Mar 25, 2021
Apple 1 - Epic 0
Let the games continue

Tell you the truth it is still more like Apple 1 - Epic 2 and it is half time.

Apple lost both the district and Appeals court.

If apple fails to appeal or if the SCOTUS refuses to hear the case Apple looses and must make the changes immediately.

Considering that there is not a conflicting ruling in another circuit there is a good chance the SCOTUS does not take up the case which means apple looses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.