Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
Apple has a tough crowd to please here. My question is if Apple released a future iPhone with a FULL display screen (no dynamic island, no notch) with under-screen Face/Touch ID array, would you consider that innovative?

Seems like they doubled down on dynamic island with the new features, so I am betting iPhone 16 models will all have notch island.

• Haha
Reactions: ideaprison

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I'm sure the Dynamic Island will stay for a while, but I don't think that means Apple will not try to put more components under the screen. The notch could visually look the same but have more and more screen area, it could even be 100% software down the line. I'm just guessing, I have no clue if that's the direction they will pursue. but I can easily see Dynamic island as the distinctive UI iPhone feature in 5 years, even with a hole punch camera or 100% under display sensors and cameras

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
Apple has a tough crowd to please here. My question is if Apple released a future iPhone with a FULL display screen (no dynamic island, no notch) with under-screen Face/Touch ID array, would you consider that innovative?

Seems like they doubled down on dynamic island with the new features, so I am betting iPhone 16 models will all have notch island.
Im fine with it as long as developers start using it.

Reactions: Jonbinary

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
They already doubled down on it when they expected 3rd party developers to get involved. Do you think they would have been pleased for their work to only exist on a single iPhone model ever produced?

I think it is extremely likely that even a notchless iPhone will have a purely software dynamic island that vanishes when not active or watching a video. It would be kind of a downgrade now to lose the “multitasking” it provides.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My question is if Apple released a future iPhone with a FULL display screen (no dynamic island, no notch) with under-screen Face/Touch ID array, would you consider that innovative?
I would…if this were 2017 and it was a feature of the iPhone X.

But this is 2023 and now it's just expected to happen at some point. I'm sure the technology to do it when it happens will probably be considered innovating and some sharp engineering. But most people are simply going to be wondering why Apple took so long.

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
They already doubled down on it when they expected 3rd party developers to get involved. Do you think they would have been pleased for their work to only exist on a single iPhone model ever produced?

I think it is extremely likely that even a notchless iPhone will have a purely software dynamic island that vanishes when not active or watching a video. It would be kind of a downgrade now to lose the “multitasking” it provides.
Just need to get more apps to use it.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here

I wouldn't consider it innovative given that is already available on other phones. Would I buy that iPhone? Yes, absolutely.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Is that live flight tracking in the dynamic island they showed off in the keynote built into iOS or is that via a third party app?

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
I like the dynamic island on my 14 Pro Max. Comes in handy with lots of apps.

Then again, I also like the Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro
I also like the Touch Bar on my 2016 MBP. Not pleased that Apple abandoned it, but I got this 3rd party app that displays equalizer bar when playing music.

Reactions: mikegoldnj

Riley-Freeman

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
Toronto (2019 NBA WORLD CHAMPS)
I got my iPhone 15 pro max on Friday and so far I’m disappointed by the lack of apps that use it. I am also disappointed the fact that there’s not much of a great list out there for apps that douse it. There’s some top 10-15 apps and when I look at the list I don’t use any of them.

I saw a YouTube app talking about an app called activitybuilder but the Instructions are lacking and I can’t figure it out. The only weather app that seems to use it is carrot and I’m not paying 50$ a year for a weather app. Madness

seems like developer adoption rate is extremely slow for us to be a year in and most of the articles about live activities are 8 months old. Basically all about the iPhone 14. Few articles exist that were written in the last 3 months and that’s really bad considering that’s when wwdc was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.