Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I've got a 15" 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook (previous generation, bought in August 2005) with 1Gb RAM and a Combo drive, running OSX 10.4.2 (not 10.4.3)

When I play DVD movies through Apple's DVD player, and then eject the disc (by clicking the eject button in the DVD player window), everything is normal, until I unplug the power adapter (while the computer is running, but without the DVD in the drive). Then, everything freezes - the pointer locks up, the keyboard locks up, everything. The only way to get out of this is to hold the power button down.

What could be causing this? Is it because I'm ejecting the disc while it's essentially still playing (I keep on forgetting to press the "Stop" button)?

It's also only started doing this since I installed drivers for my new Epson Stylus D88 printer - could this be a problem?

I've repaired permissions, and that seems to have done nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help :)

Edit:

Note: Apple DVD Player is not running when I unplug the power adapter, nor is the DVD in the drive.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Firstly, there are some optical drive settings in the PRAM so resetting it may help but I think it's doubtful.

If that fails to work then I'd try uninstalling the Epson drivers.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Do you have to reboot the computer after repairing the permissions for any changes to take effect? Since I repaired the permissions last night, didn't reboot, and the crash still happened.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
It seems that the main cause of the problem is impatience :D

The computer is actually hanging for 10 seconds when I plug in/unplug the power adapter after watching a DVD. The clock freezes, the pointer freezes and the keyboard does nothing. But, after 10 seconds, it all seems to be back to normal...

There aren't any updates to the printer drivers, so I might just have to put up with it....

mad jew: What does zapping the PRAM reset? Will it reset things like the clock and preferences?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.