Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Code cookies

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
UK
Currently at the University of York and the IT team have been tweeting about Apple stopping the education discount program?! And it being replaced by third parties?

tweet1
tweet2

Seems like an odd move.

Was unsure if anyone else had heard anything about this?

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
There's no word out on the web about an across the board cancellation, and considering how widespread and beloved the program is, one would think someone would be saying something.

If you follow the link to the NEUPC.ac.uk site, it clearly states that its related to the university consortium's procurement contract. Such things do happen from time to time - institutions enter into agreements with Apple to qualify for the education discounts, and sometimes those agreements are not renewed (you can find reports of that from time to time).

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Confused... is this just a changing agreement for HE institutions' internal procurement?

The discount offered en masse is so popular and well advertised, e.g. through the NUS and Unidays that its withdrawal would surely be more publicly known.

Reactions: Code cookies

Code cookies

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
UK
Confused... is this just a changing agreement for HE institutions' internal procurement?

The discount offered en masse is so popular and well advertised, e.g. through the NUS and Unidays that its withdrawal would surely be more publicly known.
This is what confused me, when I asked is this just for york or for all uni's they replied with is tweet

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems like something specific for the HE program and not Apple's general edu discount.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple's Fat Cash Haul is less than the board of directors target sum. Rumor has it they're very nervous about this precarious state.

If only Apple would raise it's prices, a higher gross profit per unit would allow the board members to relax... :eek:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
"Please remember that after Friday 1 April, the Apple retail store will no longer be providing an HE discount."

Hopefully this is just retail stores and not online.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I hope that is the case. It all seems very unclear tweet reply
The fact that this York Uni feed is the only source saying this, and that even they aren't certain, I'm pretty sure this is just a procurement change and personal purchases will still be discounted.

If it was ending, surely there would be more coverage and more universities talking about it, recommending to buy now if you're planning on buying a Mac in the near future.

Reactions: Code cookies

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
If you are familiar with procurement, this is clearly a university procurement change and has nothing to do with the Apple store education discount. Do you buy through your university or the store? If the uni, you won't be able to do it that way anymore, but you would continue to be able to do it through the store, though can't say if your uni might not have had a better discount.

Reactions: Brookzy

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If you are familiar with procurement, this is clearly a university procurement change and has nothing to do with the Apple store education discount.

...you might be right, but if so the York university announcement makes specific references to "personal" purchases" and "the retail store" which is worrying/confusing. We'll see if the HE store is still there on Monday.

Code cookies

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
UK
Glad that the apple store is still accepting education discount, I think it must be an internal thing within departments that it affects.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
So with the discount now reduced and no more extended warranty, do we know whether this is due to the Beats promo or a permanent move relating to the change in the HE contract?

This is bad news for me that will end up costing me £300 per year. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.