Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I just signed up for Apple One trial and tried the Fitness app. My workouts froze 3x. All of my devices are showing excellent connection and my home network is pretty robust. To compound the issue, the app will not allow me to resume where I left off essentially killing my workout. Any suggestions?

Reactions: bradriley

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
This is happening to me too. I think I’m going to report it to Apple. I’ll get about 3/4 of the way through a workout and it just freezes. The time continues to run, but nothing else.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I researched it a bit and found out that it happens pretty frequently if you are wearing AirPods. I went without mine during this morning's workout and had 0 freezing issues. Time will tell if this is the fix. Will be disappointed either way :-(

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I researched it a bit and found out that it happens pretty frequently if you are wearing AirPods. I went without mine during this morning's workout and had 0 freezing issues. Time will tell if this is the fix. Will be disappointed either way :-(
Nope, I haven’t worn headphones (of any kind) during my workouts, just sound from the phone itself.

thelorax76

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
I've been having terrible freezing problems over the first three days of my trial, using an AppleTV 4K without AirPods. Sometimes every two minutes.

If I wait a few minutes, it comes back and I can continue my workout. But in something like dance, that really gets one out of the groove.

Our ATV is in the basement, which has a full wifi signal. (Router is one floor up and maybe 20 ft over.) Netflix is fine.

bradriley

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
Freezing here too. Not using AirPods. Screen goes black, except the stats box remains in the top corner of the screen. Only option is to end the workout. Very disappointing and frustrating.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I did try actually downloading the workouts like someone suggested and that worked for me. It was slow to download so I have to think it may be my connection speed (my husband is always complaining about the WiFi anyway!).

Reactions: thelorax76

thelorax76

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
I did try actually downloading the workouts like someone suggested and that worked for me. It was slow to download so I have to think it may be my connection speed (my husband is always complaining about the WiFi anyway!).
I did too and even got a burn bar, which wasn't supposed to work for downloaded workouts.

It was very hard doing Dance on an iPad mini though, so today's experiment will be seeing if I can airplay the downloaded video to ATV.

Why can't you download directly to ATV?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Froze for me today, also noted that the AW was slower to connect than usual. Not impressed. Not my WIFI as it never drops for anything else. Not so bad if you can pause and pick it back up where you left off but you can't.

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Same here, has frozen on two consecutive 45 min treadmill runs. First time at 30min mark, second time at 15 min mark. Video and music stop, but the timers and whatnot keep going.

Really sucks you can "jump back in" where it froze

Reactions: dotzero123

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I've tried it a few more times on iPad without the AirPods and have not had any freezing. I'm going to try agin w/ pods on to confirm that this is the issue for me. Hopefully this can be fixed as the platform improves. I'm also a bit disappointed that I can only stream on Apple devices. This seems like it will be a limiting factor and I might not keep the subscription for this reason alone. Exercising in front of a tiny screen isn't doing it for me. I do like it for the treadmill workouts but can do a Pelleton subscription for that.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I just did a 30 min HIIT out in the gym, got to 28 mins and it froze. Fortunately, I knew what was left to do and the AW was still connected and counting down so I finished it and ending on the AW meant it recorded everything and did show the final results screen on the TV.

This was using ATV. It is definitely AF+ that is the issue, I have another TV that plays a news channel all the time I am out there and it didn't flicker once. To be sure I checked the logs and not a single WIFI drop in weeks.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I notice you can download the video on iPad, probably iPhone, does anyone know if that is available on ATV? That would likely solve the issue of freezing. I will check tomorrow when I am in my gym if nobody knows.

youngmac

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
London
It happened a couple of times to me a few days ago. But hasn't happened lately at all. I try to download most of the time, even a few times I didn't, it has not frozen on me yet.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Used it three times for Cycling workouts on my phone over Wifi with bluetooth earbuds in, not airpods, and had no issues at all.

GreenLightLuke

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
Had this issue too - with HIIT and Treadmill - streaming on iPad and iPhone would cause a crash sometimes.

Downloaded to iPad and no issue. Sure they will patch whatever is causing this issue, but +1 for downloading onto ATV.

Nothing kills your buzz more than a workout crashing out mid-way.

macFan_Dave

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
And even worse, when a workout crashes, you have to restart from the beginning and can't fast-forward to where you left off. God-damn Netflix knows how to do that!

canadadude

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
My workouts are freezing about the 11-13 minute mark consistently.I’ve talked to apple 3 times now unplugged Apple TV ,reset watch ,reset router and still doing it .Very frustrating it’s the apple 4K and Apple Watch 4 295 download speed and 130 upload speed.Anyone have suggestions??I am not also wearing my wireless Powerbeats so that’s not the problem.Thanks!

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I had got these issues intermittently as well, with my AW5, doing Yoga on my Apple TV 4K. I actually noticed one time that while I was doing some of the moves, the back of my hand would sometimes touch or push the crown / scroll wheel on the watch (because my wrist was bending such that back of my hand would be up against the watch).

I know throughout the day, just normally, I've noticed my watch on the menu screen (with all the circles) because I've accidentally pushed the crown.

Anyways, I thought maybe that might have something to do with the disconnection / cutting out during a workout. So for the last few weeks, I've worn my watch higher up on my wrist (a few inches above my wrist) so that when I bend my wrist back, the back of my hand doesn't come anywhere close to touching the right side of my watch (worn on my left hand). It hasn't disconnected since.

Don't know if that's correlated or a coincidence, but figured I'd share just in case it helps for others.

Belle Pomme

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2020
I just signed up for Apple One trial and tried the Fitness app. My workouts froze 3x. All of my devices are showing excellent connection and my home network is pretty robust. To compound the issue, the app will not allow me to resume where I left off essentially killing my workout. Any suggestions?
Yes, a constant issue for me too. Every workout pauses for a couple of minutes multiple times. Occurs on my iPad and with or without my Apple watch being worn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.