Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitarmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
I was so excited for Fitness+. I would constantly check when this would come out. But not being able to mute the music and just keep the trainer voice cues is a HUGE letdown.

I don’t listen to anything remotely mainstream. I just had my first workout and I has to mute my iPad and put some of my music on my phone.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: CE3

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
If we could find a way to control the volume of the music separately from the trainer, I think that would be awesome. On a yoga video I did, I noticed the the hip hop sometimes played over the instructor. Fingers crossed that this is something that gets fixed. :)

Reactions: CE3

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I’m cool with the music but in the one cycling workout I did I noticed the music tended to play over his voice and it wasn’t like he was whispering so the mixing needs a bit of work. I’m sure this will continue to improve and it wasn’t awful but could be better.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I agree that we should be able to control the music volume, turn it off completely, and play our own music if we want.

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
I hope they add the ability to pick your own playlist/album instead. I'm quite fussy with my music taste and I prefer to work out to music of my choosing.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
None of these services (Peloton etc.) offer the option of doing the classes without the music, it's considered part of the class and often the speeds and events in the class are timed to the music. Hopefully the real secret is over time there will be more variety and choice in classes so everyone can find something they like.

Reactions: Cbarnett202

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
The competition doesn't have their own music service they can integrate with it, either. Their playlist choices for some of the Yoga workouts look terrible IMO. Some great songs, no doubt, but if I'm doing yoga I'd greatly prefer instrumental music more in line with what you'd find on Apple Music's "Spa Radio" station, for example, or no music at all. Bottom Line: As Fitness+ matures, having the ability to turn off the music track, play your own tunes, or enjoy the silence will be welcomed by many.

Last edited:
Reactions: jokerz126

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Agreed. I know it's the same experience as a gym class - i.e the instructor chooses the music - but it's a shame that Apple can't provide a few beat matched playlists per class with different styles.

I haven't tried Fitness+ but looking at the playlists on Apple Music, none of the tracks appeal to me.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
They need to record the videos with multitrack audio and keep the music on a separate track that will be totally controllable by the user or able to be replaced with the users preferred music...but true that wont work where the instructor is running the workout in rhythm to the particular music they‘re using...

Reactions: LeeW

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
At the minimum drop the annoying music for yoga. Yoga doesn’t need this rhythm or music.

dmoskaly

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
Do I like the music playing? Not particularly. Find it distracting. I want to clearly hear what the instructor is saying. But others may so how about a choice? To play or not to play music, that is my request to Apple too.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Problem with turning the music off is that what the instructor is saying and doing is all along with the music, the music is a big part of the class. Turning it off would probably have a detrimental affect on the class you are doing. I've done three cycling classes since starting the trial last week, 2 under everything rock i think is and 1 with dance music, i wasnt a fan of all the songs used but the tracks were key to what you were doing throughout the class and it probably wouldnt have worked to turn it off or try and play your own music over the top as it would be difficult to get something to suit what you are doing at the time at the right time.

Reactions: LeeW

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I don't listen to anything mainstream either, but the music serves as the beat to which the instructor is working out (and making us work out) so it's part and parcel of the entire package. Honestly doesn't bother me.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Can't really say it bothers me, I don't find the music is ever annoying or too loud. But as others state, it's all part of the pre-recorded workout, you will not be able to mute and it won't be a 'feature' allowing you to do so in the future.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I would sign up in a heartbeat if they let us turn the music off. I wouldn’t sign up now without being able to turn the music off if you PAID ME. I absolutely hate any music at all while working out. Hate it. I canceled my 3 month free trial immediately when I discovered there was no way to turn the music off.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Bottom line is music is fundemental to the classes. I believe that Apple feels, rightly so, that the number of folks desiring the classes without music is so small to not make it worth trying to create those versions... while the number of folks who feel the music is a HUGE part of the classes is like very high. I can't think of any other mainstream fitness streaming services (like Peloton) without music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.