Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple but often I'm left baffled at some of their decisions with new products. Recent Examples...

1. New Airport has no Gigabit ethernet. What's the logic behind this given every new mac has gigabit ethernet? I assume Apple would like me to use my mac with airport? Its hardly a cost issue given airport is twice the price of other routers to start with.

2. Apple TV not allowing playback of any files that iTunes cannot play Surely they realise that lots of people watch movies outside of iTunes? especially given no iTunes Store outside the US even have TV shows or Movies.

Both these product would have appealed to me, but a couple of glaringly obvious flaws just spoil them. How can Apple not realise both the above issues would by high on a list of peoples complaints?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
1. New Airport has no Gigabit ethernet. What's the logic behind this given every new mac has gigabit ethernet? I assume Apple would like me to use my mac with airport? Its hardly a cost issue given airport is twice the price of other routers to start with.
I sort of agree. They probably should have included it. But who would really use it? Probably the minority. 100MB is way faster than any normal user's internet access. It would help on inter-LAN connections, but I can't see it being in that high of demand.

2. Apple TV not allowing playback of any files that iTunes cannot play Surely they realise that lots of people watch movies outside of iTunes? especially given no iTunes Store outside the US even have TV shows or Movies.
My guess is that this is more for legal reasons. Many codecs require licensing fees. I'm guess that most of the common ones Apple wouldn't have to pay for are already included in iTunes. Any others would probably drive prices up.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple but often I'm left baffled at some of their decisions with new products. Recent Examples...

Both these product would have appealed to me, but a couple of glaringly obvious flaws just spoil them. How can Apple not realise both the above issues would by high on a list of peoples complaints?

You seem to complain about anything, and everything (as I recall). Chronic malcontents :mad: are usually ignored. :rolleyes:

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
I sort of agree. They probably should have included it. But who would really use it? Probably the minority. 100MB is way faster than any normal user's internet access. It would help on inter-LAN connections, but I can't see it being in that high of demand.

If that's the reason then why bother putting it on all new macs?

You seem to complain about anything, and everything (as I recall). Chronic malcontents :mad: are usually ignored. :rolleyes:

What...? I think you got me confused with someone else considering I probably post here only a couple times a month if that.

And btw, the point raised in this post are rather vaid If you don't like it read something else.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
If that's the reason then why bother putting it on all new macs?

I used to work in a computer lab used for photo and video editing. Gigabit ethernet was great for transferring things. But there was no way we were going to use Airports for routers. Airports are designed for home use. We had $1000 Cisco routers. From a large LAN/business standpoint, gigabit sometimes makes sense. For a normal home user, it's usually overkill and not worth the price. If you really want gigabit ethernet, there are many routers on the market that are just as good, if not better than the Airport. At least by putting it in a Mac, we users have a choice.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild

You conveniently left out the fact that all of the other routers do not have such a good printer server as the AE, nor do they have the Apple brand behind it.

And the Apple brand does matter, I have had more rebooting/hang routers in the past couple of years than I can count. I will gladly buy the AE even if it has just ONE Ethernet (100mbps) port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.