Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ginofresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2017
sorry if this is posted in the wrong stop but as i was watching WWDC this morning i seen apple talking about VR and even talk about a game on the mac? and talking about EGPU and metal2 so does this mean apple is looking to make there mac more able for gaming ?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
sorry if this is posted in the wrong stop but as i was watching WWDC this morning i seen apple talking about VR and even talk about a game on the mac? and talking about EGPU and metal2 so does this mean apple is looking to make there mac more able for gaming ?

Metal2 looks like a massive upgrade and brings macOS fairly close to DirectX12 and Vulkan, which certainly paves ways for more demanding games on Mac.

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
With their recent updates, I think Apple is taking a serious look at how they need to handle GPU solutions. They're starting to realize that desktop users don't mind sacrificing higher power consumption for more graphics power. With Metal2 and the new hardware specs, they're going in the right direction and no doubt will be taken more seriously.

The biggest hurdle with gaming is convincing developers that the time and effort it takes to make games for Mac will be worth it. Mac gamers are a very small population, and the majority of them recognize the bottlenecks our systems have and play casually. Catering to gamers seems to be something they are pushing towards now.

Reactions: iDento

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
There are games that works well even for my MacBook Pro,it's just a matter of choosing the right game. Of course,games with fast paced action and high res graphics won't work,but if you don't need that,even Apple laptops can become good gaming consoles.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
The real problem is how to get EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix and all the other guys to invest in developing console-grade titles for Mac, I can't see that happening, I hope I am wrong.

One of the obstacles is the AppStore, people are complaining about paying a buck or two for a professional app, even on the Mac, how would they react when they'll be asked to pay up to 60$ for a game, then for DCs, then to pay again one year later for a new version of the same game?

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I seriously doubt any major titles will ever be made using Metal.

Apple should've included Vulkan support and then things could really be something.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
so... you play overwatch will PARALLEL now :eek:?

I mean what I hope is not just able to do that, but also MacOS has an API that can really match DirectX / graphic performance.

Yes, some AAA games are ported to MacOS now, but always with lower FPS, and much less visual effect. Just playable is not good enough for me. If I only want to play games, console may be a better choice. When I play that on a computer, I am looking for the best possible graphic / performance.

As you said, as long as Parallel works, we can virtually play any Windows game on MacOS. However, the real issue is performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: p910115

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I'm really impressed so many developers and games are supporting Metal, thats really good. But it would be amazing if they decided to support Vulkan.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I haven't been. What major games are supporting Metal?
The games mentioned above, plus Total War: Warhammer, Dawn of War 3, The Witness, and Firewatch should be just around the corner. Several other games have been announced, and since most major engines now have Metal support, we should see many more coming soon.

Metal will be the standard for Mac games within the next 12 months I believe.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
The real problem is how to get EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix and all the other guys to invest in developing console-grade titles for Mac, I can't see that happening, I hope I am wrong.

One of the obstacles is the AppStore, people are complaining about paying a buck or two for a professional app, even on the Mac, how would they react when they'll be asked to pay up to 60$ for a game, then for DCs, then to pay again one year later for a new version of the same game?
I would love to see some games being developed like outlast series or some point and click adventure games.

Reactions: iDento
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.