Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
"Within the internal files of iOS 15 beta 1, each major feature introduced this year has a unique identifier (also known as a flag) that is associated with a “disclosure requirement.” In other words, this allows Apple to enable only certain new system features in internal builds so that an engineer or designer in one area doesn’t need to see everything that’s new in others.

To run an internal version of iOS, each employee must first install a special profile on the device — just as we do for downloading beta versions. However, each profile sent to employees determines which of these features will be enabled for each person working on new versions of iOS and possibly other Apple operating systems as well."

Do you think this will cause resentment with employees, or embraced as necessary for security purposes?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
"Within the internal files of iOS 15 beta 1, each major feature introduced this year has a unique identifier (also known as a flag) that is associated with a “disclosure requirement.” In other words, this allows Apple to enable only certain new system features in internal builds so that an engineer or designer in one area doesn’t need to see everything that’s new in others.

To run an internal version of iOS, each employee must first install a special profile on the device — just as we do for downloading beta versions. However, each profile sent to employees determines which of these features will be enabled for each person working on new versions of iOS and possibly other Apple operating systems as well."

Do you think this will cause resentment with employees, or embraced as necessary for security purposes?
Neat! And I can see how that would be needed with folks working from home. I know my company has added new security protocols due to folks being a little more lax than they should when working from home, I’d imagine many companies are seeing the same.

I wouldn’t think it would cause resentment, BUT, the great thing nowadays is that a LOT of companies that never looked at “remote” employees before are willing to make that situation more long lasting now. Anyone at Apple that doesn’t like the situation can very likely get a similarly well paying gig at another company (and likely a promotion).

Of course, as mentioned earlier, those companies may be locking down, too.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The downside is a decline in cross project visibility which would otherwise be important for ensuring consistent UX. There’s no doubt the siloing off of teams and projects has lead to the many inconsistencies, issues, and feature centered rather than experience centered design decisions that have come along with Apple’s software updates year after year.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The downside is a decline in cross project visibility which would otherwise be important for ensuring consistent UX. There’s no doubt the siloing off of teams and projects has lead to the many inconsistencies, issues, and feature centered rather than experience centered design decisions that have come along with Apple’s software updates year after year.

Like releasing ostensibly high end closed back headphones with no seeming thought to how they'd possibly deal with fully lossless Apple Music streaming that releases just half a year later.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Neat! And I can see how that would be needed with folks working from home. I know my company has added new security protocols due to folks being a little more lax than they should when working from home, I’d imagine many companies are seeing the same.

I wouldn’t think it would cause resentment, BUT, the great thing nowadays is that a LOT of companies that never looked at “remote” employees before are willing to make that situation more long lasting now. Anyone at Apple that doesn’t like the situation can very likely get a similarly well paying gig at another company (and likely a promotion).

Of course, as mentioned earlier, those companies may be locking down, too.
I am rather surprised this isn't being done across the board.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
If they’re in ANY way serious about development, they have a UX team with a team lead tasked with that. And the UX team would have sub-teams that would work on the UX for certain parts of the system would only have access to those parts. As long as they’re all under the same team lead, then the UX stays consistent.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
This seems like it combines traditional MDM capabilities with AppleConnect permissions to make it possible.

Also explains why they updated device management to support declarative management to reduce server processing load.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Like releasing ostensibly high end closed back headphones with no seeming thought to how they'd possibly deal with fully lossless Apple Music streaming that releases just half a year later.
you think apple didn't give it any thought? lol i don't even work at Apple but i can tell you what they thought:

"Let's release these $550 headphones straight away cause we think people will love them ? Later on we'll update Apple Music to Lossless and that will increase sales of the AirPod Max Series 2 which will fully support listening to Apple Music Lossless! Our shareholders will love that! ?"

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
I am pretty sure this only applies at early stages of development, where some features might only be "experimental" and nobody is sure they can make trough it and get to the final OS. In more advanced stages of development, teams will be fully aware of what's the OS is going to look like and will be able to work together for optimisation.

Actually I think this is a good thing. For a few years there are far too many leaks about Apple's products. I like the idea of secrecy until Apple decides to unveil or release the product. If with those "selective profiles" they can limit the range of potential early leaks, then cool.

Reactions: NBKindaGirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.