Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
When you redeem an Apple Gift card to your account and you now have a credit there, do you decide when you want to use it against your purchase, or does Apple automatically take it off your next purchase?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Apple will automatically use your account balance first for any purchases. It'll also use it for any subscriptions you may have. You don’t get a choice if you want to use another payment method instead.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Apple will automatically use your account balance first for any purchases. It'll also use it for any subscriptions you may have. You don’t get a choice if you want to use another payment method instead.
The one nice this about GCs is if you have family sharing, and someone has a balance on their ID, it will use that before hitting the shared payment. Wish they would just let adults put on their own method beyond just GCs.

Reactions: DotCom2

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
What if you want to do installment plan? It doesn't have the option at checkout to apply the gift card . Is there no way to use gift card this way?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
What if you want to do installment plan? It doesn't have the option at checkout to apply the gift card . Is there no way to use gift card this way?
The way it worked for me was I redeemed the GC and it put it in my account. Then the same day I went to make the purchase and it automatically applied my credit to the sale. See if that works for you.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Only after go through with payment? Because at checkout when it tells you to double click for payment I don't see the gc applied.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Only after go through with payment? Because at checkout when it tells you to double click for payment I don't see the gc applied.
Did you log into your Apple account and see if it took the gift card amount?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah i csn apply it if i opt for ful payment. It's only if i choose installment plan it's not available
I think I read somewhere recently that Apple changed their rules on installments. This is probably one of them. $UCKS!

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Yeah read about a change as well. Didn't think it included GC.
Looks like you have to go to a Apple store physically.
IMG_0143.jpeg

Reactions: DotCom2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.