Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Was wondering if anyone knew anything about wide scale Apple Gift card fraud going on? I was needing some Apple GC and went to my local Safeway and realized they were all out. Then went to CVS and they were all out as well. I went to 2 other Safeways and all the Apple GCs disappeared. I then asked a Safeway Manager what’s up with the lack of Apple GCs and I was told they were told to pull them from shelves nationwide due to a security breach with the GCs and would put them back once the issue was resolved. Apparently scammers found a way to tamper with the GCs in a way that allowed the purchaser to buy and activate the card but the balance would go to the thieves.

BTW I like buying Apple GCs to pay for my Apple related expenses with Safeway because I get 6% Cashback via my AMEX plus get double Safeway points sometimes as much as 10X points with promos. It’s effectively like getting money for Apple stuff but with a 10-25% discount.

daabido

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
BTW I like buying Apple GCs to pay for my Apple related expenses with Safeway because I get 6% Cashback via my AMEX plus get double Safeway points sometimes as much as 10X points with promos. It’s effectively like getting money for Apple stuff but with a 10-25% discount.

So, it's your fault then? Thanks heaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.