Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
No it's not. Stop making things up. You cannot compare a store to a tourist attraction, its a store. And the reason why there are so many people sitting around next to it, is because its the only place on 5th ave where you can easily sit down and eat (except central park),
Your so wrong! It is a main tourist attraction in NYC
PS you should do research before you post#

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Only apple could/would patent a storefront

First, this is a design patent. Very similar to trademarks and trade dress in application.

Second, I'd be shocked if there weren't a 'normal' patent relating to the structural and engineering challenges solved in creating said storefront. Said patent(s) may or may not be owned by Apple, though.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It's an iconic store, I agree. It's on my bucket list for my next NYC trip, actually.

Then again, the Space Mothership Campus in Cupertino is also on my bucket list once it's finished in 2016 (?). I'm hoping they will allow public tours of at least the non-confidential parts of the campus.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
No it's not. Stop making things up. You cannot compare a store to a tourist attraction, its a store. And the reason why there are so many people sitting around next to it, is because its the only place on 5th ave where you can easily sit down and eat (except central park),

actually it is... Forbes and Fastcompany has the Apple Store on the Fifth Ave as one of the most photographed NYC attractions and more popular than the Statue of Liberty.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
If something attracts tourists it is a tourist attraction. And that particular Apple store does. Don't overcomplicate things.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
It's normal for tourists to visit architectural icons in cities they visit. People visit cathedrals too, but it doesn't mean they have to convert.

I guess we will have to disagree on our definition of "architectural icons". And yes I have seen this building in person. While cool, it is about 1213th on the list of architectural icons in New York. The only reason I even saw it is because I happened to be walking by.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Only apple could/would patent a storefront

Not a lot of storefronts look like this...

fifthavenue_hero.jpg

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC

Yes, it is. Have you ever been there at 11 pm on a Saturday? It's packed. I was there last Friday because I had an issue with my iPhone and they originally only had GB openings for 3 am!

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013

If I visited NYC This is literally the first and most important thing Id love to see. It is stunning !

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I remember when I first saw it, I was like "So where's all the stuff?"
Maybe that's the idea, so the thieves think the same and move on. Apple stores are high priority thievery targets.

----------

I guess we will have to disagree on our definition of "architectural icons". And yes I have seen this building in person. While cool, it is about 1213th on the list of architectural icons in New York. The only reason I even saw it is because I happened to be walking by.

I'd certainly take a photo of it if I went to NYC one day. I took photos of the Apple store fronts in Germany/Amsterdam and my local Brisbane. Why? Because they are stunning and Apple do put a lot of effort into them.

While some of us are waiting for updated products including the Mac Mini, Apple TV and so forth, Apple is working aggressively on projects like this? :eek:

Hahahahaha!!!!! The US Government was "working hard" on the patent application not Apple. :rolleyes: Do you even think before you post?

----------

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and especially when it comes to things you enjoy. However, since it is common for Apple to win architectural awards for their store design and since their store is one of the most popular attractions in NYC, you are among the minority in your opinion. Again, not bad, just wanted to make the point that in addition to disagreeing on a definition, also disagreeing with the majority of people.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
If I'd designed and engineered it I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want anyone else copying it too.

Architectural work can be but is seldom patented. I see this more to keep competitors from reproducing that iconic look with a Samsung or Microsoft store elsewhere.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Dumb. Patents are being granted way to easily. This does not deserve a patent. Most things that are being patented should be denied. The whole system is abused. Time to simply end patents.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Dumb. Patents are being granted way to easily. This does not deserve a patent. Most things that are being patented should be denied. The whole system is abused. Time to simply end patents.

You have no idea what you are talking about. First, patents are in the US Constitution...good luck ending them. Second, there are different types of patents. This one is a design patent, and this is exactly what it is for.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

Well, I went and visited it when I was in NYC :cool:
There actually were tons of people there, so many that there was a line to get in and a crowd inside I had to push through. Not that many of them seemed to actually be buying stuff, just checking it out and taking pictures.

----------

The Empire State Building is just an office building. So is the Chrysler Building, and so was the late WTC; and Macy's Herald Square is just a store.

Seriously: two of the main things tourists do in a city is stare at the amazing architecture, and shop at iconic stores.

Yeah, you nailed it. I also visited the Sony store and the awesome green stone IBM tower while I was there. And of course I visited things like Central Park and Times Square, but I didn't have to go far out of my way to check out the awesome corporate buildings.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Yes, there are earlier examples

But the cube may be a first for being a cube, but it is not a first for a glass structure as an entrance. Look at IM Pei's glass entrance to the Louvre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louvre_Pyramid

This. And the concept is the same where all (or many of) the exhibits are displayed underground. It has that wow factor where you enter through a small opening and then encounter this massive subterranean expanse.

On the surface, the Louvre pyramid is a fantastic example of intersecting old and new architecture. The symmetry in that courtyard is awe inspiring.

The Apple cube is outstanding too, but it's not unprecedented.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
It doesn't have to be unprecedented, nor did anyone ever claim it was unprecedented.

Yes, the thread is about the Apple patent, but my reply is to a particular post (which in itself does not challenge the patent).

You seem angry (defensive) about something. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.