Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Handbrake Altivec?

DavidCar said:
I found a note on http://xlr8yourmac.com/ that Handbrake was updated with "Multithreaded H.264 encoding with x264." I wonder if that would change your results.

I have read through the Handbrake, xlr8yourmac, x264 and macrumors forums, but I can't find out whether the x264 encoder has full AltiVec support. Anybody in the forums know how to fully optimize code through AltiVec?

Core Duo's are getting over DOUBLE the speeds of G5's in encoding H.264 at 1000Kbps main profile:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

PPC and AltiVec are so far from dead - but with x86 kicking the ***** out of G5 already int his application - something needs to be done to improve the efficiency of these Dual Core/Dual Processor G5's for H.264.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
umm...change the default?

mymemory said:
I am here in Final Cut Pro. I wouldn't care about the codec in question but everytime I am exporting something FCP use it as a default what actually suck because the render time in insanely slow what makes the work useless. I rather use DV Pro of course and Sorenson for internet if that is the case.
Unless i'm crazy here, just change your default in fcp? and/or use dv pro or sorenson.

you have to ask yourself the age old question: does your work necessitate quality? if a client is paying big bucks, then render at the best quality. if the video is for your buddies, then they won't care about quality so much so go with something faster.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Sorenson is dead get over it I have a pb g4 and it takes forever to export but I still use h.264 and if I want to get it out faster I'd use standard mpeg-4 NOT sorenson quicktime 5 is over people move on.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
yes I use that crap all the time. In a world of crap, H.264 is my all time favorite crap. I like it because it is small yet high quality crap. Who cares if it takes all night, I just put a blanket over my mac and let it spew out crap while I sleep peacefully.
They should've named it H.Mr. Hanky

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
FireArse said:
I have read through the Handbrake, xlr8yourmac, x264 and macrumors forums, but I can't find out whether the x264 encoder has full AltiVec support. Anybody in the forums know how to fully optimize code through AltiVec?

Core Duo's are getting over DOUBLE the speeds of G5's in encoding H.264 at 1000Kbps main profile:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

PPC and AltiVec are so far from dead - but with x86 kicking the ***** out of G5 already int his application - something needs to be done to improve the efficiency of these Dual Core/Dual Processor G5's for H.264.

I think H.264 is NOT optimized for AltiVec, otherwise PPC-based Macs would kick Intel-based Macs' ass in watching HD footage

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
eXan said:
I think H.264 is NOT optimized for AltiVec, otherwise PPC-based Macs would kick Intel-based Macs' ass in watching HD footage

Sadly I think it is, but poorly:

The output from the code shows some form of Altivec optimization - but I'm not sure how effective it is. H.264 and its Open Sourced variant x264 need serious time for Altivec optimization, Im trying to find out all I can on the subject, but I haven't coded in 3years - and I was never that good anyway!

Anyone with Altivec experience - please contact Eric Petit (titer@m0k.org) cos he really would appreciate help woth his open sourced x264 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.