Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Apparently, I extended my Applecare coverage at just the right time, as the hd in my just over 1 year old powerbook bit the dust. The disks don't even spin on startup, though I can hear what sounds to be the arm moving to attempt reading the disk.

Anyway, when I talked to Technical Support, I asked if they would return the failed drive so I could attempt my own recovery (freezer therapy) I was told that in order to have my hard drive returned, I'd have to get the disk replaced by an Authorized Apple Service Provider outside of Applecare coverage. The individual I talked to told me that Apple tries to rescusitate them for their own use, which by the way, they are apparently not supposed to tell customers.

I'm not too impressed with this service, since I'd like to get my data back, which is more important to me than the disk itself. And the only way to do this is to pay for repair even though I have a warranty. I don't have the money to send the disk to a data recovery center; I'd just like to attempt basic recovery myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.