Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lew2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
Hello,

I have been developing for Windows UWP and Android using Xamarin Forms and Visual Studio 2019. I have a powerful desktop PC with Windows 10 and Visual Studio Enterprise 2019, and I only need Mac for final build for iOS. As I have read I need to have physical Apple device in my local network to build iOS iPhone application.
I am completely new to Apple world, and have never run any Apple device, yet. I would ask somebody experienced to look for Mac device which I want to purchase to avoid pitfall.

Can somebedy tell me if this device is appropriate for iOS/iPhone compilation:
Apple iMac 21,5" A1418 Slim HDD 1TB, RAM 8GB MD093, Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

Apple iMac 21,5" A1418

?

I don't want to buy something useless. It is a slightly damaged device (broken screen) and it cannot be returned after purchase. I may use external monitor through HDMI.

Thanks in advance.

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
An iMac with Catalina installed is sufficient for iOS development.

Since your main computer is a Windows machine and you are using the Mac only for the final build, I recommend getting a Mac Mini. You can use the monitor, keyboard, and mouse from your desktop computer with it. A Mac Mini is going to be less expensive than an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.