Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KENPHOTO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I received a notification from Apple today advising that my application for the App Store Small Business Program has been successful. Personally I never had any issue with the 30% commission, but obviously I am happy to pay the lower commission of 15%. One thing that I wanted to bring up that I haven't seen discussed is iTunes/App Store cards bought in brick and mortar stores. Other than Apple Stores, any store selling iTunes gift cards would have to be making some amount of profit, otherwise why would they bother? iTunes gift store cards are always on special at one store or another as well. It is important to note that any cost Apple has in relation to iTunes card sales prices or just iTunes card purchases in stores in general comes out of Apple's commission, not the app developers revenue. So if a customer purchases an iTunes card for 20% off, and uses that iTunes card to purchase my app, I still get the same commission, regardless of that fact that the user paid 20% less for my app because they purchased an iTunes card on sale. This will still be the same now that I am only going to be paying Apple a 15% commission.

I just think that this is an important point to note when people are bashing Apple over their 30% commission.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.40.08 pm.png

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I received a notification from Apple today advising that my application for the App Store Small Business Program has been successful. Personally I never had any issue with the 30% commission, but obviously I am happy to pay the lower commission of 15%. One thing that I wanted to bring up that I haven't seen discussed is iTunes/App Store cards bought in brick and mortar stores. Other than Apple Stores, any store selling iTunes gift cards would have to be making some amount of profit, otherwise why would they bother? iTunes gift store cards are always on special at one store or another as well. It is important to note that any cost Apple has in relation to iTunes card sales prices or just iTunes card purchases in stores in general comes out of Apple's commission, not the app developers revenue. So if a customer purchases an iTunes card for 20% off, and uses that iTunes card to purchase my app, I still get the same commission, regardless of that fact that the user paid 20% less for my app because they purchased an iTunes card on sale. This will still be the same now that I am only going to be paying Apple a 15% commission.

I just think that this is an important point to note when people are bashing Apple over their 30% commission.
View attachment 1699583

Good point, never thought about that before even though I’ve used a lot of discounted gift cards to buy things.
A shop near where I live usually does a Holiday discount on them where they’re an entire 30% off
Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Affinity Photo, Pixelmator Pro, music, films, XCOM Eneme Unknown - all got them that way. - Though for some reason I doubt it’s a large percentage of sales that are carried out that way, it does still cut into Apple’s share as you say :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.