Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Sounds like you need a read/write driver but as you don't describe the error at all it is just a guess.

If you can read files from HFS partition when signed onto Windows, and copy them to your Windows partition and it works, then most likely you have only installed bootcamp driver which is read only. Try Paragon - it is free.

Bootcamp v6 version of AppleHFS.sys causes BSOD when using external drives with HFS+ partitions. Best not to use any version of it on Windows 10 at the moment.
Code:
BugCheck 139, {3, ffffd0018c13e460, ffffd0018c13e3b8, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AppleHFS.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for AppleHFS.sys
Probably caused by : AppleHFS.sys ( AppleHFS+1720 )

Followup:  MachineOwner
---------

3: kd> !analyze -v

*                       Bugcheck Analysis                                     *
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure.  The corruption
could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A LIST_ENTRY has been corrupted (i.e. double remove).
Arg2: ffffd0018c13e460, Address of the trap frame for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg3: ffffd0018c13e3b8, Address of the exception record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Reserved

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_P1: 3

BUGCHECK_P2: ffffd0018c13e460

BUGCHECK_P4: 0

TRAP_FRAME:  ffffd0018c13e460 -- (.trap 0xffffd0018c13e460)
NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers
Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.
rax=ffffe001d7f2a560 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=0000000000000003
rdx=ffffe001da585be0 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000000000000
rip=fffff801db711720 rsp=ffffd0018c13e5f0 rbp=0000000000000000
r8=ffffe001d8b932a0  r9=00000000000007ff r10=ffffd0018bfa38a0
r11=ffffe001c41003b0 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000
r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000
iopl=0  nv up ei ng nz na po cy
AppleHFS+0x1720:
fffff801`db711720 ??  ???
Resetting default scope

USB Thumbdrive or HDD? I'm asking because Windows 10 treats both differently.

On devices like ThumbDrives Windows 10 expects them to be MBR and only have a single partition. Windows 10 has a buttload of issues with what it classifies as "removable media" that need to be addressed really badly.

Anyway, all my USB HDD's (with multiple HFS partitions) work normally with the latest driver. I'll keep a eye out for updated BootCamp builds but if the bug is repeatable then you should give the diagnostic info to Apple so they can fix it.

Reactions: crashnburn

Mr.Flibble

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
These are the Read-Only HFS+ drivers that comes with Boot Camp.

They can be installed on any matching Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 machine without the need to install the Boot Camp package (and also easily removed if necessary).

If you are using Windows 10 with a version older than 6.0 please update because older versions break the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service)
Thanks so much, just saved me a load of hassle. Worked a treat on Windows 10.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I know this is SUCH and OLD thread, but I need help and it fits in this disscusion. I've downloaded the drivers for to read HFS+ drives. v5.0.0.1. I have Windows 7 Pro X64 installed, and it doesn't see any Mac drives. I know they are there and fully fuctional because I have ran First Aid on it, and it's a new hard drive.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong, I doubled clicked on the reg file so it would insert the key. Is that I'm doing wrong, where I should be putting the reg file in nother way? If so how do I do that, I've never meessed with the Reg before. :/

=Hugh

yannhaur

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2016
I know this is SUCH and OLD thread, but I need help and it fits in this disscusion. I've downloaded the drivers for to read HFS+ drives. v5.0.0.1. I have Windows 7 Pro X64 installed, and it doesn't see any Mac drives. I know they are there and fully fuctional because I have ran First Aid on it, and it's a new hard drive.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong, I doubled clicked on the reg file so it would insert the key. Is that I'm doing wrong, where I should be putting the reg file in nother way? If so how do I do that, I've never meessed with the Reg before. :/

=Hugh

I am nice. I am going to be nice to you.

You have to read "Instructions.txt" first:

How to Install Apple HFS+ Driver:
1. Uninstall MacDrive/Paragon
2. Copy AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
3. Merge Add_AppleHFS.reg
4. Restart

How to Remove Apple HFS+ Driver:
1. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
2. Move AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to the Recycle Bin
3. Merge Remove_AppleHFS.reg
4. Restart

Note: This driver is only supports for 64-bit versions of Windows.​

Taking that you have already loaded the reg file, maybe you need to use the remove first and then follow the instructions.

Cheers!

SchlomoGoldberg

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hi everyone.

I'm in the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, and the last update [ Build 14372 ] broke Paragon HFS+.

It works flawless, but it simply does not show the drives. I tried the BootCamp 6 options, and nothing
happens [ no problem with registry whatsoever ], but I cannot access to the drives.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi everyone.

I'm in the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, and the last update [ Build 14372 ] broke Paragon HFS+.

It works flawless, but it simply does not show the drives. I tried the BootCamp 6 options, and nothing
happens [ no problem with registry whatsoever ], but I cannot access to the drives.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Same here, the latest Win 10 Pro insider preview break HFS+ support, no matter use 3rd party software or the native AppleHFS.sys, there is no way to get it work.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Seems like We need new HFS Read Only drivers for Windows 10 RS1 release Build 14393

Right now, the HFS drivers are not mounting the MAC HFS partition.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am now using the Paragon HFS+, I got the free version some time ago, and now it works perfectly with the latest insider build.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
From how I understand http://www.thewindowsclub.com/driver-signing-changes-windows-10 no this shouldn't be caused by the new driver signing thing. My secure boot is off as I use Clover as my boot manager and dualboot between Win10 and OSX El Capitan (hackintosh machine).

I don't have a Mac recent enough to offically be able to support Win 10 so can't get to the damn bootcamp drivers since they nolonger provide those for download.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I can confirm that the latest Windows build blocks drivers without a matching signature file (Catalog file). Apple will have to update new BootCamp installers to use a INF, CAT and DLL's for the HFS+ Drivers (instead of having the MSI copy the DLL's and registry entry's).

I'll check later this week to see if they have any updated ones.

1607_HFS_Signature.png

Grrr. This means I can't use custom monitor INF's anymore. :(

Peetouee

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2016
transylvania
I can confirm that the latest Windows build blocks drivers without a matching signature file (Catalog file). Apple will have to update new BootCamp installers to use a INF, CAT and DLL's for the HFS+ Drivers (instead of having the MSI copy the DLL's and registry entry's).

I'll check later this week to see if they have any updated ones.

1607_HFS_Signature.png

Grrr. This means I can't use custom monitor INF's anymore. :(

I can confirm, drivers no workie runing latest windows build. I dont get any PCA block though, it shows drivers are loaded in autocheck, but nothing is working. tried 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 drivers, nothing showing up. Paragon HFS+ works and macdrive works, but they are cancerous death. Always corrupting the drive somehow and you lose all your data, have to format etc. Ive learned the hard way to never trust windows with HFS write also never trust mac with NTFS write. mac will bork your NTFS drive and then you will be trying to recover and get chkdsk to run when you cant boot into windows and then you have to load a USB recovery to try to get chkdsk to run and sometimes it fails and you are done, stick a fork in you.

Reactions: d5aqoëp

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
And sadly exFAT that both support for Read/Write is easily corrupted (I use one an exFAT partition for a shared data drive), so sometimes if a shutdown doesn't occur cleanly the file allocation table gets corrupted and the drive appears unformatted. Thankfully, chkdsk /f tends to fix the issue.

Also I had an issue recently where I couldn't boot because of the now broken Apple HFS drivers. For some reason out of the blue I started getting a BSOD; CACHE_MANAGER had a problem and wouldn't complete the boot. Apparently it pops up a bit regarding Apple's HFS drivers https://www.flipswitchingmonkey.com/2015/10/windows-10-on-apple-cache_manager-blue-screen/ (among other sites). Deleting the two Apple drivers allowed the system to them boot. I don't know why it suddenly happened, as I had been using it without issue for the last year.

Peetouee

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2016
transylvania
And sadly exFAT that both support for Read/Write is easily corrupted (I use one an exFAT partition for a shared data drive), so sometimes if a shutdown doesn't occur cleanly the file allocation table gets corrupted and the drive appears unformatted. Thankfully, chkdsk /f tends to fix the issue.

Also I had an issue recently where I couldn't boot because of the now broken Apple HFS drivers. For some reason out of the blue I started getting a BSOD; CACHE_MANAGER had a problem and wouldn't complete the boot. Apparently it pops up a bit regarding Apple's HFS drivers https://www.flipswitchingmonkey.com/2015/10/windows-10-on-apple-cache_manager-blue-screen/ (among other sites). Deleting the two Apple drivers allowed the system to them boot. I don't know why it suddenly happened, as I had been using it without issue for the last year.

I have also used ExFat and on almost every reboot between them there is a problem. sometimes the drive has no letter and you cannot assign a letter and then windows will not allow a check so you have to reboot to osx and to a fsck_exfat -d and recover the data. But all this corrupting eventually causes drive failure or file damage, especially if there are important files you need to read, etc. You can keep repairing the exfat but what about the one time where all of a sudden you cannot repair it and the data is gone? The constant corruption is a sure sign that something is not right and the constant repair of ExFat will only lead to file system damage or drive damage at some point.

I would liken it to a constant BSOD or freeze on macosx. eventually you will get hardware problems if its purely software caused freezes or BSOD's/kernel panics...etc.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I thought Microsoft was fixing the problem

I don't think so. I was with the Windows insiders (fast) programme. There are many many update since the driver breaks, but no fix yet. And I finally give up, go back to the official release, and use my Paragon Free edition driver.

yentrangkorea

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Hi everyone.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi everyone.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

You have to re-install Paragon HFS+ after Windows update.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Anybody try downloading bootcamp installer files from Sierra 10.12.1 and see if it works now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.