Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Does the date of purchase matter or the date you receive the item? My order isn't expected until end of next week, so hoping for the longer return period.

designcode

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
Does the date of purchase matter or the date you receive the item? My order isn't expected until end of next week, so hoping for the longer return period.
Unfortunately it is the date of purchase and not the date of delivery. That's the reason I am also waiting before purchasing the new 16 MBP.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Unfortunately it is the date of purchase and not the date of delivery. That's the reason I am also waiting before purchasing the new 16 MBP.

This is incorrect I believe.. The standard 14-day return starts on delivery day not order day. I assume the holiday return is the same..

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

Okay, oh well. Hopefully won't have to worry about returning it anyway. Thanks for the info.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
The 14-day policy says date you receive it, but last year's Holiady policy said date you purchased:

For eligible products purchased between November 14, 2018 and December 25, 2018, you have until January 8, 2019 to initiate a return. Simply sign in to your account or call us at 1‑800‑MY‑APPLE.
Maybe one of the MacRumors editors could ask Apple -- I know they've done that in previous years and were told ahead of time of the holiday dates...

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The 14-day policy says date you receive it, but last year's Holiady policy said date you purchased:

Maybe one of the MacRumors editors could ask Apple -- I know they've done that in previous years and were told ahead of time of the holiday dates...

I stand corrected, thanks for the info.. Odd they'd do it differently than the 14-day window.

If it starts tomorrow (the 14th) then everyone should wait a day to order...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I believe it's date of receipt..
This is incorrect I believe.. The standard 14-day return starts on delivery day not order day. I assume the holiday return is the same..

I don't remember the answer, but I remember that this was hashed out last year. I'll see if I can find the thread. EDIT - never mind, poorcody got it.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I don't remember the answer, but I remember that this was hashed out last year. I'll see if I can find the thread.
I think @poorcody hit the nail on the head... The policy he quoted says order date for holiday season return but delivery date for the standard return.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I think @poorcody hit the nail on the head... The policy he quoted says order date for holiday season return but delivery date for the standard return.

Yes, I edited my post right after I posted to mention that. I remember the conversation last year because Apple's positions seem (at least to me) to be inconsistent/contradictory. But it's their policy, they get to make the rules. The holiday return period is quite generous, even though a lot of other vendors now do something similar.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Yes, I edited my post right after I posted to mention that. I remember the conversation last year because Apple's positions seem (at least to me) to be inconsistent/contradictory. But it's their policy, they get to make the rules. The holiday return period is quite generous.
I plan on buying when it's available for in store pickup... Hopefully by then Apple will have announded the holiday return period. If not then I'll wait until they have before ordering / purchasing...

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I plan on buying when it's available for in store pickup... Hopefully by then Apple will have announded the holiday return period. If not then I'll wait until they have before ordering / purchasing...

That option was available earlier, guess it is gone now? I could order for store pickup this morning at least. Who knows when the return period will be, seems it has been anywhere from mid November to end of November.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
That option was available earlier, guess it is gone now? I could order for store pickup this morning at least. Who knows when the return period will be, seems it has been anywhere from mid November to end of November.

BTO allows in store pickup for me but the dates are Dec 2... I am looking at the 6 core base and it is not available to order for in store pick up yet. I called one of the local Apple stores and they said they should have them Friday in store but the dude I spoke to didn't sound very reassuring....

If I order online for in store pick up I'll save $200+ in sales tax..

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
If the holiday return period starts tomorrow, seems kind of crummy to have so many people order on launch day only to have theirs not eligible for the return period. :(

Either way, I'm waiting for the holiday return period and until I can see the laptop in the Apple Store and play around with it a bit first.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Does anyone know which apple.com page will contain the holiday return period when they do announce it?

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Yes, I edited my post right after I posted to mention that. I remember the conversation last year because Apple's positions seem (at least to me) to be inconsistent/contradictory. But it's their policy, they get to make the rules. The holiday return period is quite generous, even though a lot of other vendors now do something similar.

I recall the wording is different for online orders such that it is date of receipt. Anyways, we’ll be able to read this years policy when it comes out.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
November 14 has come and gone and no Holiday Return Policy yet... not sure what to make of that... It has started as late as November 25 in previous years, from what I've read. Maybe they are holding back a bit because of the 16" release?

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Smart call with a 1.0 release of a product. I am also waiting for the Holiday return period

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
It is the 15th here in Australia and can confirm the holiday return period has kicked in. Just purchased a watch band and phone case and return date on receipt is jan 8

Awesome, thanks for the info. Hope it kicks in tomorrow here in the states when I go pick up the i9/32GB/8GB-GPU/2TB "upgraded base" model I'm hoping is in stock in my local Apple Store.

Reactions: sat24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.