Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
A dedicated section, but no discounts. Looks like Apple is just trying to cash in on this marketing "opportunity". Makes me feel kind of off about it...
When I read they were "honoring" Williams, I was hoping to see mention of at least some of the proceeds from the Robin Williams section going toward Comic Relief (or some other program that aids the homeless, something Williams spent years doing -- or to some program that helps those suffering from depression). Hell, maybe even donate 100% and add a matching donation on top of that. We all know they could afford it. It would've been a good way to honor him, if that's what they're trying to do.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the store i went to today did that with his movies being moved to the front. i thought it was rather .... uhm. still ended up buying Dead Poets Society :-/

Last edited:

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
A dedicated section, but no discounts. Looks like Apple is just trying to cash in on this marketing "opportunity". Makes me feel kind of off about it...

I was waiting for this disgusting comment. Because tragic death = you getting a discount.

Proceeds from sales should go to charities dedicated to creating awareness and helping those with depression and addiction.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Funny, I'd consider a "sale" to be more distasteful.

THAT sounds like cashing in...trying to spur sales, as it were.

Simply making a list seems more respectful to me.

Except apple would be taking the hit if there was a sale, that means they would be doing it to spread the things he made around for others to see and continue to remember him. So in short i disagree.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I remember Mork and Mindy.

sad day.

Apple ... nice thought putting up a section for fans... but it would be even nicer if a donation was made to one of Robin's favoured charities. I trust apple to do the right thing - even if they don't announce it publicly.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Hook is one of my favorite movies of all time, and he's done a ton of really good stuff. Sad days.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I remember watching Popeye when I was barely 10 years old and becoming a fan of Robin. Over the years I have watched him mature with Mork & Mindy and on to more complex roles. There's not a movie I have watched where I was disappointed with his performance. My kids always want to watch Mrs Doubtfire when visiting my parents. I'm still in shock, the world has lost an amazing performer.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
To those of you who accuse Apple of profiteering, perhaps Apple believes that many would now like to see movies in which Robin Williams performed, and Apple is merely filling a need.

After I heard about what happened, I realized that I have only seen clips of Dead Poets Society, and that maybe I should see the movie in its entirety.

Now I can easily do that. Thanks, Apple!

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
When I read they were "honoring" Williams, I was hoping to see mention of at least some of the proceeds from the Robin Williams section going toward Comic Relief (or some other program that aids the homeless, something Williams spent years doing -- or to some program that helps those suffering from depression). Hell, maybe even donate 100% and add a matching donation on top of that. We all know they could afford it. It would've been a good way to honor him, if that's what they're trying to do.

Absolutely. Keep the regular prices, let people enjoy his movies and make some good while doing so. Donate profits to charity that Robin would appreciate. That'd be cool. Apple?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I was waiting for this disgusting comment. Because tragic death = you getting a discount.

Proceeds from sales should go to charities dedicated to creating awareness and helping those with depression and addiction.

Fascinating to see people accuse Apple of profiting from his death, then go right ahead and demand discounts in his honour. It's not just corporations that are greedy...

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
Im with those that think that this is in terrible taste and Apple simply cashing in. There can't be any other way to look at it.

Tim Cook does mention that Robin Williams was involved with Comic Relief USA, a charity that's raised upwards of $50 million for homeless assistance.

Now HAD Tim Cook said that 10% of sales or some suitable figure were going to be donated to this charity, then I would have said good on you Apple but as it stands, its simply cashing in as businesses are meant to do :(

I agree that a % of sales going to a charity would make this not feel like Apple is trying to "cash in" on this tragedy.

CartoonCat

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2014

Seriously? If they did discount his stuff, then Apple would be having a "Robin Williams death sale". It's all a matter of perspective. You have a negative perspective.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
So I guess that when Nobel Prize for literature Gabriel Garcia Marquez died you all either went at your local Barnes&Noble asking for a discount or asking them to donate to Marquez's favorite charity.

I think Apple did something good. Trying to profit from death would be something like releasing a "special edition" for 5 extra bucks and just 30 seconds of extra footage.
Selling the same item, at the same price, just in a different folder is simply "bringing to attention".

UPDATE: did anyone have the balls to go to an Apple store asking for a discount the day after Jobs died? You know, apple made a profit after his death brought media attention to apple.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Companies are screwed with this sort of thing no matter what they do. No mention at all? "Why didn't they mention ___!" Percentage of sales donated? "Why wasn't it more!!" Sale on? "Capitalizing!" No sale? "Capitalizing!"

Companies do what they feel appropriate and I don't see anything wrong with that.

I'd rather focus on remembering the man and hoping that he's in some sort of peace now. The details about his death are truly heartbreaking.

CartoonCat

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2014

Really? Should they do this with all singers, performers, actors that commit suicide, or just Robin Williams? He chose to take his own life. Should Apple or any other company condone suicide by donating to charity. Kill yourself and we'll donate to charity. What are you thinking? Oh wait, I don't think you are.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

It's possible that Apple doesn't have the ability to discount those without the publisher's permission.

----------

Really? Should they do this with all singers, performers, actors that commit suicide, or just Robin Williams? He chose to take his own life. Should Apple or any other company condone suicide by donating to charity. Kill yourself and we'll donate to charity. What are you thinking? Oh wait, I don't think you are.

How is that condoning suicide? Robin Williams lost the battle with depression, it's a hell of a lot more serious a condition than people seem to realize.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
How is that condoning suicide? Robin Williams lost the battle with depression, it's a hell of a lot more serious a condition than people seem to realize.

What he means is that some depressed people may see it as the final excuse to commit suicide, removing the last thing to cling on. "I am worthless, if I die at least someone will make some good out of my death."

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I wondered how long it would take for people to be critical of this happening. Didn't take long - post #5, yet it snowballed from there. *shakes head*

A great comedian and actor. His standup was that of one of the greatest ever.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Unfortunately paying off his ex wife was one of his reasons for his depression, if only apple couple have helped highlight his career earlier he might have had the cash to get help and pay his debts.

One would hope apple will give its cut of the highlight content to a charity?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.