Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
Sorry for the odd ball post in advance ^^;;

I have been day dreaming about having enough capital to afford kiting out a house with ALL apple products.

Now that alone would be glorious! But i am wondering about the other factors involved in home making. There is placement, decor, and then there is smell!

I think the smell in side ones house can be important, in the case of an apple house, I would love it to smell like apple pie, kind of a cinnamon toast smell.

It would be awesome! I still remember my childhood days of waking up to a fresh baked apple pie, heck the smell of baked goods in general would be awesome.. Ok now i need a coffee for some reason...

I am heading out to get a fresh slice and a coffee, while i do that, please feel free to leave your ideas on your apple house setup, and what it would smell like?

I bow before the mods grace, have pity on this apple lovers sole!

Last edited:

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
It wil be 100% odourless, which is what I would expect when opening a box containing a piece of electronics.

That's enough Forums for today I think.
:) I think these type of questions sneak in when i am tiered, hence the need for coffee, saying that i did end up taking a nap. Gulping the cold coffee now though. No one should waste coffee!

But to answer your question, do electronics actually smell odourless? 

I think not!

There is this new item smell that you get from the factory, also glorious depending on what the item is. I am sure you have heard of new car smell?

If i think back, some game devs where thinking about smell o vision back in the day, i know snatcher by hideo kojima had this thought about for the MSX. They wanted to coat the floppies it ran off of with a chemical that would produce a smell when warmed up.

I am sure smell o vision may be a subject again related to VR soon.

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
It would smell like an Apple Store.
Perhaps, but not all Apple stores are created equal. And would you want it to smell like an apple store?
I would not mind personally, but i am still partial to the apple pie smell myself!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Huh, wow. Okay.

I can say this. A large part of the front room is taken up by three Macs, one a Mac Pro that has five large Cinema Displays attached to it. Sitting on my desk are seven iPhones and if my kids and wife come down that makes ten iPhones in the front room. Plus an iPad.

Other than the smells emanating from the kitchen which is next to the front room - there is no smell. Scratch that, one of the displays hooked up to my MacPro was a Goodwill purchase so there's the fragrant masking that Goodwill does to product it sells to mask the Goodwill store smell. I can smell that.

My son also made quesadillas last night and I'm trying to get rid of the cooking oil smell right now.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Could probably hook up some HomeKit sockets to some of those little scented-oil heating devices and make whatever aroma you want, including blends.

I love the smell of apple pie and bacon. It smells like... leftovers.

• Love
Reactions: Kr0n05K!ngR

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
A 17" PowerBook G4 however, does smell…electronicky when in use. :)

And then there's that old iBook G3 with the keyboard that smells like bad body odor.
I miss the G4 days, those power PC chips used to be grate work horses!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do not understand where tart came from? But i think todays tech should allow some form of smelovision.
An "Apple Tart" is how we (not just Brits and Irish, but French, as well) describe what Our Transatlantic Cousins refer to as an "apple pie".

This side of The Pond, "pies" are often (not always) savoury (steak & kidney pies, etc).

I grew up with apple tarts, pear tarts, rhubarb tarts, cherry tarts, apricot tarts.......and so on.

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
An "Apple Tart" is how we (not just Brits and Irish, but French, as well) describe what Our Transatlantic Cousins refer to as an "apple pie".

This side of The Pond, "pies" are often (not always) savoury (steak & kidney pies, etc).

I grew up with apple tarts, pear tarts, rhubarb tarts, cherry tarts, apricot tarts.......and so on.

Would you say that you lead a pretty "sweet" life then?

Duude i feel like coffee and backed goods now! T_T

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
Could probably hook up some HomeKit sockets to some of those little scented-oil heating devices and make whatever aroma you want, including blends.

I love the smell of apple pie and bacon. It smells like... leftovers.
We need this in a VR set up for sure! i would love to go in to a field and then smell fresh cut grass, or enter a museum and smell stone / paint.

Basically anything to go with the environment. May be a set up with base smells that could be mixed to produce others.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Would you say that you lead a pretty "sweet" life then?
Not necessarily.

Classic Apple tarts (pies), especially if prepared with cooking apples (which are a lot sharper, and more sour, and more tart - that is, tart tasting) - and classic French tarts, such as tarte tatin - aren't actually all that sweet. The emphasis is on fruit, not sugar.

In fact, my own palate and preference tends towards the savoury, but - if I do treat myself to tart (or pie), or dessert, it will most likely take the form of a classic fruit tart, some of which are only available seasonally, as the fruit in question is only available when in season.
Duude i feel like coffee and backed goods now! T_T
Ah, coffee.

You can never go wrong when feeling like a good quality coffee.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California

On the other hand, on this of the Atlantic, we usually reserve “tart” to describe a flavor instead of an object. Tart vs sweet type of thing. As a result a tart apple is different than an apple tart.

Just a observation

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
On the other hand, on this of the Atlantic, we usually reserve “tart” to describe a flavor instead of an object. Tart vs sweet type of thing. As a result a tart apple is different than an apple tart.

Just a observation
Well, I'm not from the Americas, hence, the English I speak and write hails from the Old Country.

And the English language is rich enough, and sufficiently supplied with nuance, to allow for at least two meanings of the noun 'tart'.

Thus, my (own, marked, personal) preference is for a tart apple tart.

However, reverting to the topic of the thread title, while the aroma of an apple tart (from an oven playing host to such a delicious delight) is more than welcome, this is not the aroma one could (or would) expect from a house full of Apple products.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Classic Apple tarts (pies), especially if prepared with cooking apples (which are a lot sharper, and more sour, and more tart - that is, tart tasting) - and classic French tarts, such as tarte tatin - aren't actually all that sweet. The emphasis is on fruit, not sugar.

In fact, my own palate and preference tends towards the savoury, but - if I do treat myself to tart (or pie), or dessert, it will most likely take the form of a classic fruit tart, some of which are only available seasonally, as the fruit in question is only available when in season.
I like Chocolate Mousse!

My wife says that's so '80s', but I like what I like. Anytime I find Chocolate Mousse on the menu it's mine. And my wife cringes. :D

Ah, coffee.

Totally agree!

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
Not necessarily.

I am with you!

And for me, one of the things i love the most are foods from all over, is bread.
A good loaf is something special for me 100%, and some of the best bread is french and German imo, but I am open to trying all bread! Recommend some if you or anyone have any ideas.

While there is allot of bread in the uk, the quality is just lacking compared to a good baked bread!

Pretzel loaf with pate, onions and pepper is just the best.

Heck a good cheese board is also a big thing for me!

Ah, coffee.

There is nothing like a good thick cup of coffee, i do love the standard americano, but a Turkish coffee, or filtered coffee with home ground beans! oh simply amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.