Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi all
I have apple ID enabled on my account (I actually don't see a way to turn this off?) and in the settings, I've added a two trusted numbers as I swap between SIM cards frequently for travel.

The issue is that when I'm logging into my Apple ID, it asks for a 6 digit code from an SMS. The SMS is sent to the phone number attached to the SIM which won't work if I have a different SIM in the phone. So what I need to do is pop the other SIM in, just to log into the Apple ID.

I would prefer to have Google Authenticator experience - something like a token that is generating random numbers instead of an unsecured SMS. Or at least the ability to re-route the SMS to another trusted number in Settings.

Is there anyway to do this? I cannot find any option to in iCloud Settings.

Thanks

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I know you can't turn 2FA off after so long. Seems weird you can't pick which number if they let you add two. Wish you could just change the default too. My SE is just the backup now for Apple things, so I only use it at home. Wish I would just get the text by default instead of tapping can't get code then to send the text

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Yeah so annoying - I’m not a fan of their 2Fa approach and almost would rather have it turned off as it’s quite inconvenient

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.