Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, I have an iCloud account which is linked to my work iPhone and work phone number.

I'll be leaving this job and so will lose my mobile phone and number. Can I simply remove this phone number from my Trusted Devices and leave my personal iCloud email address and personal number? Also, is there anything else I need to do to this iCloud account to prevent any issues in future?

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
When you remove your work iPhone from your iCloud account, it should remove the phone number as well no problem. If not, you can always check your trusted devices list and remove it from there.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks tensixturtle. Is it a simple case of going into icloud on my phone and signing out? Or do I delete altogether? I want to keep my email address as it's associated with my Apple.tv too.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Yes, I believe signing out of your Apple ID on your work iPhone should be enough, although I think it can also depend on what other devices you use with your Apple ID. You can take a look at this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/109511 For example, if the work iPhone is your only iPhone on the account, you would need to de-register the number from iMessage and maybe set up an alternate number for 2FA.

Edit: Is your email address on your Apple ID your work email by the way? Because if you lose it when leaving the job, you would probably want to change it to a personal one, just taking care to temporarily sign out on all devices first to avoid issues.

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks again tensixturtle.

On the iCloud account I have my work number and my personal number for 2FA. I'm guessing if I sign out of iCloud, I automatically get signed out of iMessage. Is that correct? There's no mention of this in the link above.

The email address is my personal email address, so I'm hoping that will come with me.

So my thinking now is just before I return the phone:

* Double check I have an alternate email address and phone number for 2FA.
* Sign out of iMessages.
* Sign out of iCloud

I also have this email linked to my Apple TV. Is there anything I need to do on that front?

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
No, I’d assume that’s all you have to do! But after you return your phone and everything, and if there still is an issue with trusted devices, iMessage, etc. then you can still go into account settings and remove a device you don’t have anymore. I’ve done it a few times in the past.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Brilliant. And iMessage - that's linked to the phone number and not the phone itself right? Don't want someone messaging me and it goes to someone else who next gets this phone 😯😂

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thank you for your help on all of this. If it was my personal phone I wouldn't have been so concerned but as it's my work phone needed to be dead on accurate.

Reactions: tensixturtle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.