Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
Is it true that you have to get an AppleID in order to build iOS apps?

(I am *very* freaked out about my privacy and unlike everyone else on the planet, I do NOT want to have to give any more info than necessary to Corporate America!! I never register my products - including my new MBP - and try to keep accounts to a minimum. And when people start asking for my home address and tele # and the last-4 of my SSN I usually bolt for the door!!)

Ironically, I do not have an Apple ID now, and prefer to keep it that way, because I am freaked out about people knowing where I live and all that jazz.

So does that mean I can never write an iOS app? :(

Sincerely,

Debbie

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

You can build iOS apps for use on the Simulator. But that's fairly useless, since you can't run them on any stock iOS device without an enrollment in the iOS Developer program, which often requires identifying yourself to Apple multiple ways (credit card, photocopy of your passport, legal incorporation papers and D&B credit report for company enrollments, bank account and tax ID info for paid apps, etc.). They have been known to reject any enrollments using identity info which looks vaguely suspicious.

Apple apparently does not want to allow any anonymous iOS app developers, possibly because this would end up resulting in the distribution of more malware from unknown sources on their customer's mobile devices. Good for Apple.

You also have to identify yourself for the standard developer contract to be legal.

If you work or consult for a company that is already enrolled in the iOS Developer program, you might be able to use their developer enrollment with an Apple ID within that companies email system/domain, depending on your legal contract with that company.

Last edited:

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
in the iOS Developer program, which often requires identifying yourself to Apple multiple ways (credit card, photocopy of your passport, legal incorporation papers and D&B credit report for company enrollments, bank account and tax ID info for paid apps, etc.). They have been known to reject any enrollments using identity info which looks vaguely suspicious.

Apple expects me to provide a photocopy of my Passport to be able to develop their apps????? :eek:

WTF?!

Debbie

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Apple expects me to provide a photocopy of my Passport to be able to develop their apps????? :eek:

WTF?!

Debbie

If you're that worried - it isn't for you.

Apple has to cover their own butts these days:

#1 - the biggest reason is for finances. If you sell an App or have in-store purchasing - they need to have valid information for tax purposes. In the US at least, they require additional tax ID info if you want to make any money from the store.

#2 - Identity. It'll show you are who you say you are. Makes it harder to fraudulently mimic existing developers.

#3 - In the event of extremely malicious software (which say, results in a criminal investigation) - Apple, from a legal perspective, would rather have lots of detail about its devs than none at all. Makes it easier to protect their veil.

#4 - Looks better to consumers. They can be assured that Apple has at least somewhat verified that a specific developer is legit and is who they say they are.

And so on.

----

TLDR: Apple requires devs to be honest about their identity to keep everything legit and to keep the appstore from becoming a mess.

----

Oh, and trust me - the corporations know all about you. Hiding information from everyone may slow down the information propagation - but it is still happening.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

WTF?!

Debbie

They didn't ask me for mine.

On the basic question in your OP, you could enter fake information for a non-paying Developer Account. There's no checking at all of this info. Of course, this account level won't let you put the apps on an actual device. For that you need a paid account.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
They didn't ask me for mine.

On the basic question in your OP, you could enter fake information for a non-paying Developer Account.

They might ask, or randomly spot check, for government ID, depending on how valid the rest of your ID info appears.

Read the the contract that you have to click "agree" to for the free Developer account and compare that against your sense of ethics.

Also, the free account does not allow one to deploy apps to stock iOS devices.

WTF?!

Open Source hardware and software is the best solution if you prefer your anonymity and privacy. Not hardware-secured Apple designed mobile devices.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
They didn't ask me for mine..

Guessing it is fairly random. I know when I setup my company a couple years back (2011ish) I only had to submit a simple photocopy of my Articles of Organization, but that was it. No ID or anything needed. (fixed in a below post. Had a brainfart earlier. )

Could be different for companies (LLCs, Inc, etc) vs individuals too.

Or as firewood said, could be random.

Last edited:

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
If you're that worried - it isn't for you.

Apple has to cover their own butts these days:

#1 - the biggest reason is for finances. If you sell an App or have in-store purchasing - they need to have valid information for tax purposes. In the US at least, they require additional tax ID info if you want to make any money from the store.

#2 - Identity. It'll show you are who you say you are. Makes it harder to fraudulently mimic existing developers.

#3 - In the event of extremely malicious software (which say, results in a criminal investigation) - Apple, from a legal perspective, would rather have lots of detail about its devs than none at all. Makes it easier to protect their veil.

#4 - Looks better to consumers. They can be assured that Apple has at least somewhat verified that a specific developer is legit and is who they say they are.

And so on.

----

TLDR: Apple requires devs to be honest about their identity to keep everything legit and to keep the appstore from becoming a mess.

----

Oh, and trust me - the corporations know all about you. Hiding information from everyone may slow down the information propagation - but it is still happening.

And how many apps do you have on the Apple Store?

How many make money?

Debbie

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009

(I am *very* freaked out about my privacy and unlike everyone else on the planet, I do NOT want to have to give any more info than necessary to Corporate America!! I never register my products - including my new MBP - and try to keep accounts to a minimum. And when people start asking for my home address and tele # and the last-4 of my SSN I usually bolt for the door!!)

Ironically, I do not have an Apple ID now, and prefer to keep it that way, because I am freaked out about people knowing where I live and all that jazz.

So does that mean I can never write an iOS app? :(

Sincerely,

Debbie

If you want to put apps on the AppStore as a hobby, you absolutely need to hand over valid information to Apple. Like others have suggested, if you work for another company that has a license, you may not need too.

That being said, when I signed up for the official account, I was not required to hand over a passport, or anything else besides a home address and CC info to pay for the account. That seems ridiculously far fetched because not everyone has a passport.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
If you want to put apps on the AppStore as a hobby, you absolutely need to hand over valid information to Apple. Like others have suggested, if you work for another company that has a license, you may not need too.

That being said, when I signed up for the official account, I was not required to hand over a passport, or anything else besides a home address and CC info to pay for the account. That seems ridiculously far fetched because not everyone has a passport.

I spoke with someone from Apple, and this is what they told me...

"If you provide a valid DUNS #, Legal Name, Physical Address, Tele # and everything matches with D&B, then your Developer Application should be approved without the need for photo ID..."

I can't speak from experience, but let's hope this is how it works, because I would *never* e-mail or fax a Gov't issued ID to anyone!! :mad:

Sincerely,

Debbie

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
Wow, that's rude. I truly hope you didn't intend it to be as such.

What?

I asked if you had any apps on the Apple Store, and if you had any that make money (e.g. people buy the apps, or you charge a subscription, or however you'd make money online).

Only someone who has a company selling apps on the Apple Store where they make money - as opposed to free apps - would be able to confirm what information is actually required....

Debbie

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What?

I asked if you had any apps on the Apple Store, and if you had any that make money (e.g. people buy the apps, or you charge a subscription, or however you'd make money online).

Only someone who has a company selling apps on the Apple Store where they make money - as opposed to free apps - would be able to confirm what information is actually required....

No, an individual selling apps on the App Store can also make money. It's not necessary to register as a company; one can register as an individual.

Example: as a sole proprietor, I don't have a DUNS number. Nevertheless, I can register as an individual, make money, and report it on my IRS 1040 forms as income from a sole proprietorship.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011

Errr... for the future: only Apple can confirm information about their legal policies, not MacRumors forum users. Although, it would be awful great if we could officially mandate Apple's policies. ;)

But since you were curious (my apologies, it came across as rude only because it is quite irrelevant and "out of the blue" as they say):

I've written 2 apps - one in 2009ish one in 2012 with in-app purchases. I've also consulted with some companies to assist them in the development/testing/promotion process.

Right now I have no apps on the store, although I may get back into it soon. Got some ideas brewing, you know? :cool:

I spoke with someone from Apple, and this is what they told me...

It sounds like you got a plan, hopefully it works out.

I can understand being cautious about giving out info - but it's a silly thing to prevent you from doing something you want to do. Life's too short!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
IIRC, one of the tent poles for both the iOS and Mac OS X App Stores is that "apps are safe", in the sense that if someone sneaks a malicious app by Apple's review process, not only can Apple throw the kill switch and disable the app on everyone's devices, but they will also have the information about the author.

I don't think an app being free or not matters in that aspect.

Ultimately, not being anonymous probably has the effect of keeping some shady folks from putting stuff in both App Stores. Unfortunately, it looks like you're also caught in net by that policy.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
But since you were curious (my apologies, it came across as rude only because it is quite irrelevant and "out of the blue" as they say):

I've written 2 apps - one in 2009ish one in 2012 with in-app purchases. I've also consulted with some companies to assist them in the development/testing/promotion process.

Right now I have no apps on the store, although I may get back into it soon. Got some ideas brewing, you know? :cool:

Well, best of luck with that.

I asked - maybe not in the best way as I was heading out the door earlier - because you implied that you had written apps and had them in the Apple Store (and maybe making money), so someone like that would know best what was and wasn't involved in the application process.

To chown33's point, I was assuming you did it as a company which is what I care about, because I have an S-Corp.

It sounds like you got a plan, hopefully it works out.

Just researching at this point.

I can understand being cautious about giving out info - but it's a silly thing to prevent you from doing something you want to do. Life's too short!

Nope. I'm tired of Corporate America abusing people's PII.

It should be illegal to ever request - let alone require - people to make copies of gov't issued ID's.

What's next? DNA samples?

If my business has been vetted by the Secretary of State and Dun & Bradstreet and my bank, then it's good enough for everyone else.

And I have never given a photocopy of my DL or Visa to my bank, or the SOS or D&B... :mad:

Let's hope what the rep told me is accurate, and I can stick with *company* info, and not personal info, since it is my company that wants to maybe put an app up on the Apple Store.

Debbie

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
IIRC, one of the tent poles for both the iOS and Mac OS X App Stores is that "apps are safe", in the sense that if someone sneaks a malicious app by Apple's review process, not only can Apple throw the kill switch and disable the app on everyone's devices, but they will also have the information about the author.

I don't think an app being free or not matters in that aspect.

Ultimately, not being anonymous probably has the effect of keeping some shady folks from putting stuff in both App Stores. Unfortunately, it looks like you're also caught in net by that policy.

I'm not asking for anonymity.

I'm refusing to ever give people copies of my ID.

There is a huge difference.

Nobody copied my ID when I incorporated or opened a U.S. bank account...

Fortunately, it sounds like Apple has the good sense to not do that unless a red flag went off or an account was compromised.

Debbie

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
To chown33's point, I was assuming you did it as a company which is what I care about, because I have an S-Corp.

Correct. Filed as an LLC. Process should be similar for any corporate structure.

Also a correction: I incorrectly stated in an above post I had to provide my articles to Apple. My mistake, had a brainfart :eek: .

Instead, they requested additional address verification. Can't remember what they asked for in particular (probably copies of bills and crap) - but I wound up just providing them a link to the NY corporation lookup page for my particular company. The addresses all matched up, and they were fine with that.

At least for NY - it contains much of the same information as the articles of organization as far as registered agent, corporate address, etc. Not sure about other states with stricter privacy like Delaware or Nevada.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
Correct. Filed as an LLC. Process should be similar for any corporate structure.

Also a correction: I incorrectly stated in an above post I had to provide my articles to Apple. My mistake, had a brainfart :eek: .

Instead, they requested additional address verification. Can't remember what they asked for in particular (probably copies of bills and crap) - but I wound up just providing them a link to the NY corporation lookup page for my particular company. The addresses all matched up, and they were fine with that.

That sounds consistent with what the Apple rep told me, and I am fine with them checking with D&B and my SOS because all of that is public info.

I just get really pissy when people start prying into my personal life and things would could lead to ID Theft.

So for now, it sounds like it will all work out.

Which means I can turn my attention to deciding if I even want to build a mobile app, and if so, how to do so?! :eek:

Sincerely,

Debbie

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
...because I have an S-Corp.

If you have a C-Corp or S-Corp, then there will be public records identifying owners and/or officers of the company. So I don't see the big problem with giving any of that info to Apple. Their legal department probably just wants to know who to sue if someone violates their NDA or App store contract.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
If you have a C-Corp or S-Corp, then there will be public records identifying owners and/or officers of the company. So I don't see the big problem with giving any of that info to Apple. Their legal department probably just wants to know who to sue if someone violates their NDA or App store contract.

Obviously you have not read the entire thread... :rolleyes:

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Concerned about your privacy online yet signed up to this site, told us your first name, put the state where you live, your occupation AND included a picture. I reverse image searched that picture & found you on two other forums in which you list the city within the state you live.

Interesting effort on keeping yourself hidden online.

Just read the privacy policies & you'd see you really are being massively paranoid over nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.